Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
OMR - Old Man Riding
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks Ray for advising me to get the ESI Silicone grips. I replaced my Odi grips with the ESI grips on the Mary bars of my single speed... and they absolutely work!!! It really dampens the harshness... and my old bones really appreciate the feel.

Again...THANKS!

OMR...:cool:
SoCal

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
These are the things that I currently believe to be very very good products and worthy of your consideration when purchasing parts.

Jones H-Bars.

ESI Silicone grips.

Kenda Nevegal tires.

Selle An-Atomica Titanico saddles.

Niner Bikes SIR 9 frame.

Shimano XT crankset.

Reba Fork.

Moots Ti seatpost.

Thomson Stem.

These products are currently, in my opinion, some of the best available.

R.

[ ps: Thank you for the feedback. It's nice to know that someone is listening and taking notice of what I suggest.]

·
breathing helium
2,094 Posts
Well, let me go through the checklist:

Rainman said:
Jones H-Bars.---CHECK

ESI Silicone grips.---CHECK

Kenda Nevegal tires.

Niner Bikes SIR 9 frame.

Shimano XT crankset.---CHECK

Reba Fork.---CHECK
All I need are the SIR9 frame (I almost bought one before my last bike), the tires (might get some of those for my current ride), the Selle Titanico saddle, if it cushions my taint better than the WTB Laser saddle I now own...well, I'll buy one of those too.

Rainman, you might be 7 for 7 before too long! HA! :)

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
If I had to choose the top two products I would go with:

ESI Silicone grips.

Both of these are outstandingly good products, and both of them are 'contact points' on a bike, which makes it very important to get them right.

Whilst not every rider will agree with my choices, I really believe that these two products are genuine "breakthrough" type components that can and will benefit the majority of riders everywhere.

As always, I have no affiliation with either company, and I get no "freebies" for recommending them.

R.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
I'll try the ESI grips on the Niner. Red please.

It's soo cool to have more suspension for the rigid fork. I tried the rigid fork on my 26er and gave up after a year. On the 29er it's way cushier. Here's why:
- 29er wheel 1/2 inch of cush
- big tire (weirwolf LT) running Stans at 22 psi 1/2 inch of cush
- Pace carbon fork 1/4 inch of cush
- Salsa 26 inch Pro Moto carbon bar 1/4 inch of cush
- ESI grips 1/8 inch... maybe.

So there, it's like cheating. You get rigid climbing ability and rigid steering. Yet there's cush to be had. Mind you, the only weakness is high speed rocks. Going 20+ mph into a sea of rocks is no good on rigid no matter what.

fc

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
francois said:
I'll try the ESI grips on the Niner. Red please.

It's soo cool to have more suspension for the rigid fork. I tried the rigid fork on my 26er and gave up after a year. On the 29er it's way cushier. Here's why:
- 29er wheel 1/2 inch of cush
- big tire (weirwolf LT) running Stans at 22 psi 1/2 inch of cush
- Pace carbon fork 1/4 inch of cush
- Salsa 26 inch Pro Moto carbon bar 1/4 inch of cush
- ESI grips 1/8 inch... maybe.

So there, it's like cheating. You get rigid climbing ability and rigid steering. Yet there's cush to be had. Mind you, the only weakness is high speed rocks. Going 20+ mph into a sea of rocks is no good on rigid no matter what.

fc
Not only is it no good, but hitting rocks at high speed with 20psi in your tubed tires is a genuine no-no :nono: at 20+ mph ! :eekster:

I very recently tested that theory, and came off a battered and bruised second best.:mad:

R.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The H-bars on my soon-ariving Sir9 are coming Jones-wrapped, but I'm definitely interested in going with the ESI grips sooner or later...

Rainman, in your experience, is it possible to install the ESIs somehow without an air compresser? I don't have such an animal avbailable to use. I wouldn't guess a CO2 cartridge is going to do the trick!

I *thought* I've seen a discussion somewhere on MTBR about this, but search is fruitless.

Also, do just "standard" bar end caps work in the Jones H-bars?

Thanks in advance; your advice/recommendations are very helpful!

Cheers, Chris

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Chris..

I installed my first [test] set of ESI grips with plain old tap water..:eek:

I wet the ends of the H-bars, and ran the tap on the inside of the grips, then just worked them onto the ends of the bars after first installing the supplied bar-ends.

It takes a little push / pull and shove to do, but once on there, I left them to dry out overnight and they were fine.

Of course it is easier with a compressor and air-gun, but it's not too hard with plain water.

R.

·