Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out I have Monday off, but my SO does not. Woot! I feel the need for an epic mountain biking day. :D

I've never ridden National end-to-end. I'm curious what the trail's like past Buena Vista? And how long it will take me to do the whole thing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,211 Posts
crispy said:
I just found out I have Monday off, but my SO does not. Woot! I feel the need for an epic mountain biking day. :D

I've never ridden National end-to-end. I'm curious what the trail's like past Buena Vista? And how long it will take me to do the whole thing?
Yep, me too. And guess what I get to do? Go to a friggin wedding!!!! I mean, come on, who gets married on MLK Day? I was planning on honoring Dr. King by riding my bike :(.
 

·
Kathleen in AZ
Joined
·
5,178 Posts
You want epic? I'd be up for a SoMo epic!

Between BV and Telegraph is the best part of National (IMO) - you must do it! It gets more techy and there's more exposure, but it's not that long so even if you have to walk lots it doesn't matter... but you must do it and see what you've been missing. Beyond Telegraph, National is less technical for the most part, but there is a big hike-a-bike to get out of Telegraph pass. On the far side of National it gets more slip-n-slide kind of techy, but nothing is too hard except for one really steep short section with nasty switchbacks. I do suggest wearing armor for all of this :)

Once on the west side of National, there are unlimited routes back. Here are some suggestions:

(1) If you've had enough... San Juan road back to Central - take canals and Baseline around to Pima Canyon
(2) If you want more... Roads up Buena Vista, then back on National, Corona Loma, or old Man's
(3) If you want lots more... Return on Bajada (or road) - up Ranger - down Mine Drop (or the Fuzz as some call it) and back on super secret trails with return to Pima Canyon on Desert Classic.
(4) If you want to go where few have gone before... Gila to super secret trails to Telegraph Trailhead to DC

And if you are really into pain, toss in an Alta loop, and do it ALL with flat pedals! I did that recently and was out for 9-hour 35+ mile adventure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DurtGurl said:
You want epic? I'd be up for a SoMo epic!

Between BV and Telegraph is the best part of National (IMO) - you must do it! It gets more techy and there's more exposure, but it's not that long so even if you have to walk lots it doesn't matter... but you must do it and see what you've been missing. Beyond Telegraph, National is less technical for the most part, but there is a big hike-a-bike to get out of Telegraph pass. On the far side of National it gets more slip-n-slide kind of techy, but nothing is too hard except for one really steep short section with nasty switchbacks. I do suggest wearing armor for all of this :)

Once on the west side of National, there are unlimited routes back. Here are some suggestions:

(1) If you've had enough... San Juan road back to Central - take canals and Baseline around to Pima Canyon
(2) If you want more... Roads up Buena Vista, then back on National, Corona Loma, or old Man's
(3) If you want lots more... Return on Bajada (or road) - up Ranger - down Mine Drop (or the Fuzz as some call it) and back on super secret trails with return to Pima Canyon on Desert Classic.
(4) If you want to go where few have gone before... Gila to super secret trails to Telegraph Trailhead to DC

And if you are really into pain, toss in an Alta loop, and do it ALL with flat pedals! I did that recently and was out for 9-hour 35+ mile adventure.
Durtgurl, if you're seriously interested about doing one of these on Monday, I'd love to follow along for the total National experience!
 

·
Kathleen in AZ
Joined
·
5,178 Posts
crispy said:
Durtgurl, if you're seriously interested about doing one of these on Monday, I'd love to follow along for the total National experience!
Let's do it! Meet at the North Ramada at Pima Canyon around 9 ? If that's ok, I'll start a new thread - I haven't posted an open SoMo ride in a long time. Should be a great way to honor MLK for those of us with the day off work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DurtGurl said:
Let's do it! Meet at the North Ramada at Pima Canyon around 9 ? If that's ok, I'll start a new thread - I haven't posted an open SoMo ride in a long time. Should be a great way to honor MLK for those of us with the day off work.
Sounds great! I am looking forward to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Arg! the one time an open long SoMo ride is organized recently and I'm not free that day! I really need to get in on a longer group ride like that to keep me from psyching myself out and chickening out part way through like I usually do.

Last weekend I did National to the Telegraph TH, down Kiwanis, over Los Lomitas, Bajada, and started on Alta then psyched myself out. Mostly I was worried about not having enough water to do the whole loop. Plus all the water spigots at the THs on the west side were turned off! Anyway.. chickened out and turned around and did that in reverse, was feeling dehydrated and took the road back to BV and my chain snapped part way up. All in all it was right under 7 hrs.

Also, I agree about National between BV and Telegraph being a lot of fun. I'm getting to like that more and more as keep doing it.

It'd be great if we could have semi regular rides like this.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top