Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Is my rear tire flat?
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a few days off from work we pointed the car towards Bend Or. Having recreated in Bend since the 80's I have never been dissapointed. This time our agenda was to seek out some of the awesome trails Bend has to offer. We based our operation from the Big Bend CG near SunRiver.

Day 1 ride. North Fork - Mrazek - Farewell
----Location. Bend. Above Phill's Trail Complex

Day 3 ride. Newberry Crater Trail - Crater Rim Trail
----Location. South of Bend towards Lapine. Newberry Crater Monument.

Attachments

·
Is my rear tire flat?
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here are the rest of the pics from day 2. Day 3 we woke up to pouring rain so scooted on home. 7 hours later (and 1 of cleaning) we are deep into a 6'er of Long Hammer IPA. Thanks for hanging around for a while. Pictures are in chronological order and the captions for each have been lost under some bottle caps.

Thanks again Bend, your trails have now found their way into my personal top 5. For perspective, I have not been to MOAB or Crested Butte but have enjoyed samples from Marin county, Sun Valley and of course all over the state of WA.

Have a great ride you all!

Dennis and Melanie

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
Wow, I have been to to Crested Butte and Moab. Looks like Bend has some trail that rival some from those epic locations.. And I would bet Bend has better beer!

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Nice Dennis!

I have never been down Farewell (it does look like definate fun and many Benders do it that way) but I've been up it several times. Not much of a fun climb this time of year but I'll tell you that 14 miles on Mrazek to Shevlin is a real hoot! Bummer about the rain but I'll bet they were happy to see it. Hoping to squeeze a long weekend there this fall myself.

·
feel the Force
546 Posts
Looks like good riding. Bend is definitely on my hit list. I LOVE the no horses signs! (we're currently having quite a spat here in CO)

·
Team Fearless Descender
1,976 Posts
Its been a few years since I've been up to Bend (I'm in SoCal). I have a good friend that lives there, so what's my excuse? Yea, what's with me??? :D

Anyway, It is an amazing place to ride, or do just about anything outside for that matter.

Thanks for sharing your pix, they bring back great memories! :thumbsup:

·
Toby Wong?
1,307 Posts
BlackCanoeDog said:
"Restricted to Uphill Riding Only". WTF?
this trail sees a lot of hiking traffic and I think they wanted to keep it safe for everyone. it's a great climb, so it's not a biggie. plus the 7-9 waterfalls, and it's almost better uphill

·
Registered
755 Posts
BlackCanoeDog said:
"Restricted to Uphill Riding Only". WTF?
Yeah, it is a bummer for us riders, but it makes sense. The bottom portion of the trail is one of the most popular destinations for hikers going to Tumalo Falls and a little beyond. It is very common to ride by grandparents, large families, dogs and people taking photos...so the uphill only is to help avoid conflict.

Dennis and Melanie - So glad to hear that you enjoyed the trails! We are very lucky as our system is huge and a ton of fun! Yahoo! Off to ride Flagline, South Fork, Whoops and the Canyon today now that we have had some more rain!

·
Registered
7 Posts
What kind of camera did you take those picture with? The images are very sharp!
I'm curious, because it's about time for me to upgrade.

·
Is my rear tire flat?
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nikon D50

Its a few years old and rattles a bit but it shoots good photos.

db

·
Is my rear tire flat?
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks! We saw your operation...

When we were arriving in Bend we saw your Cog Wild Van. You guys were loaded with bikes and backing into your driveway around sunset. We both looked at each other and thought to ourselves....Dang, we should have spent the coin and went with those guys! It just gave us this vibe like being picked up after a day of amazing riding and taken to a cool party house for some grub and rest. Next time we'll look you up!!!

db
Cog Wild said:
Yeah, it is a bummer for us riders, but it makes sense. The bottom portion of the trail is one of the most popular destinations for hikers going to Tumalo Falls and a little beyond. It is very common to ride by grandparents, large families, dogs and people taking photos...so the uphill only is to help avoid conflict.

Dennis and Melanie - So glad to hear that you enjoyed the trails! We are very lucky as our system is huge and a ton of fun! Yahoo! Off to ride Flagline, South Fork, Whoops and the Canyon today now that we have had some more rain!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts