Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In light of recent events in the tour de france, I am thankful to be a mtber. I think if there is one great aspect of cycling, its mountainbiking. Maybe it will be the mtb that will save cycling from all this mess.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Rasmussen is a former MTB World champion. There are certainly drugs involved in the high end MTB racing in this world. And there are some here that openly admit to recreational drug use in their rides, before, after, and during. Don't think that MTB is perfect.

Keep in mind they are all two wheeled bicycles, regardless of where they are ridden, or by whom. It is the people and the pressures (and rewards) of sport (and ultimately society) that are to blame, not the skinny wheel v.s. the fat wheel bike....

·
Registered
326 Posts
I think there is a difference between proformance enhancement drug use and recreational drug use. Both are against the law and both are wrong. With proformance enhancement drugs you are lying to the fans, the other competitors and to yourself. With recreational drug use you are just basically lying to yourself.

·
Pit Bull lover
72 Posts
jtrider said:
I think there is a difference between proformance enhancement drug use and recreational drug use. Both are against the law and both are wrong. With proformance enhancement drugs you are lying to the fans, the other competitors and to yourself. With recreational drug use you are just basically lying to yourself.
Lying to myself? haha

·
Registered
740 Posts
I think you are going to find this kind of cheating going on in ANY elite level sport. You think those monster running backs, lineman, and linebackers in the NFL aren't juiced up just a little bit?

It just seems like cycling is the ONLY sport that they are guilty until proven innocent.

Very strange tour this year and I probably won't watch any more of it..

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
My only point is that just because the TdF roadies get scrutenized and booted, that does not mean that MTB is clean and pure.

·
Registered
486 Posts
You can bet if there were bigger bucks in MTBing there would be bigger drugs(other than pot).:thumbsup: Its just human nature.

·
Registered
419 Posts
GotMojo? said:
You think those monster running backs, lineman, and linebackers in the NFL aren't juiced up just a little bit?
No, I do not think they are juiced up just a little bit. I think they are juiced to the gills. Our society just does not wish to take any action against them.

·
5,280 feet
251 Posts
jtrider said:
What world are you living in? People that smoke pot are lying to themselves? About what exactly?

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Screamin said:
What world are you living in? People that smoke pot are lying to themselves? About what exactly?
Well, I'm not going to be judgemental, but you have a point. Maybe they're not lying about
the harmful effects of marijuana on the Brain and Central Nervous System. Maybe they're
fully aware of:

* Impaired thinking, mood, memory, and coordination
o Marijuana (THC) is an extremely powerful and pleasurable intoxicant. It affects, alters, and damages brain cells controlling thinking, emotion, pleasure, coordination, mood and memory. The pituitary gland is also damaged which regulates hunger, thirst, blood pressure, sexual behavior, and release of sex hormones.
o Clogged synapses, brain damage and addiction
o Marijuana accumulates in the microscopic spaces between nerve cells in the brain called "synapses." This clogging interferes by slowing and impairing transfer critical information.
o Long term use causes the brain to stop production of brain chemicals necessary to "feel good" - a negative feedback condition. And, the user becomes chemically addicted to marijuana.
* The harmful effects of marijuana on the Heart
o Speeds up heartbeat as much as 50%, increases blood pressure, and poses great risk to those with hypertension and heart disease.
* The harmful effects of marijuana on the Endocrine System
o Marijuana damages the network of glands, organs, and hormones involved in growth and development, energy levels, and reproduction.
o Organs and glands affected:
+ pituitary gland
+ thyroid gland
+ stomach
+ duodenum
+ pancreas
+ adrenal glands
+ testis
* The harmful effects of marijuana on the Reproductive System males and females
o Marijuana use can decrease and degenerate sperm, sperm count, movement, and cause lowered sex drive. Females can have egg damage, suppression of ovulation, disrupt menstrual cycles, and alteration of hormone levels.
o Regular use during pregnancy can lower birth weight and cause abnormalities similar to Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (small head, irritability, poor growth and development.
o Can destroy the number of chromosomes, resulting in cell abnormalities and impaired function.
* Other affects on the central nervous system
o distortions of perceptions, thinking and reality
o Difficulty in forming concepts and thoughts
o Poor concentration
o Mental confusion
o Loss of motivation
o Wide mood swings
o Aggression and hostility
o Depression, anxiety and paranoia
* The harmful effects of marijuana on the Eyes
o Sleep looking, blood-shot eyes with dilated pupils.
* The harmful effects of marijuana on the Throat
o Irritates membranes of the esophagus; increases chance of developing cancer of larynx and esophagus.
* The harmful effects of marijuana on the Lungs
o Significant damage and destruction of the air sacs of the lungs, reducing the lungs ability to bring oxygen and remove carbon dioxide - Emphysema.
o Causes bronchial tubes to be inflamed, thickened and to produce more mucus; resulting in narrowing of the air passages - Chronic Bronchitis.
o Marijuana smoke has twice as much "tar" as cigarette smoke and significantly increases chance of lung cancer, inflammation and infection.

And then there's the whole "it's illegal" and it's a waste of money aspect, which they
acknowledge as well?

·
achiever
1,024 Posts
Lying to myself... Screw that :rolleyes: I refuse to let anyone, regardless of what any law says, regulate how I choose to alter my consciousness. It's time for a massive paradigm shift and the sooner people retake their personal sovereignty from a society that seeks to infantilize it's citizenry, the sooner true progress toward that end can be made.

Red

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm thankful to be a recreational cyclist. Hobbies becoming work is how I got burnt out on reading novels.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
redwarrior said:
Lying to myself... Screw that :rolleyes: I refuse to let anyone, regardless of what any law says, regulate how I choose to alter my consciousness. It's time for a massive paradigm shift and the sooner people retake their personal sovereignty from a society that seeks to infantilize it's citizenry, the sooner true progress toward that end can be made.

Red
You know, I agree...as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others. The problems only
come in when my taxes are affected by increases in public healthcare to address
the treatment of addicts that have become disfunctional sponges. Oh, and also there's an
obvious problem when the impaired abuser decides to operate a motor vehicle on the same
road that I drive and they lose control and mow me down. But as long as they don't
infringe on the rights of others, it's all good.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
222 Posts
redwarrior said:

Red
Paranoid much?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Food for thought

Evil Patrick said:
You know, I agree...as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others. The problems only
come in when my taxes are affected by increases in public healthcare to address
the treatment of addicts that have become disfunctional sponges. Oh, and also there's an
obvious problem when the impaired abuser decides to operate a motor vehicle on the same
road that I drive and they lose control and mow me down. But as long as they don't

:thumbsup:
You know what's funny? Taxes might actually go down if the government legalized it. Funny that people feel that prohibition of alcohol didn't work but they feel the same thing will work with the wacky tabaccy. Aren't we supposed to learn from history??? One big problem with our country is that no one has an open mind anymore. Everyone is funneled into a mindframe by large corporations that lobby and fill everyone's heads with nonsense 24/7. Everything's true on tv and in the media… right??? Ever look into the amount of money pharmaceutical companies spend lobbying against legalization… fairly ironic conflict of interest… think about it. And your 'dysfunctional sponge' idea… do you see a whole lot of those walking around nowadays? Is that how you identify anyone that partakes? If you don't notice many then you're not very good at recognizing the 'dysfunctionals' because a good percentage of people you see on a daily basis would fit that definition. Alcohol is legal… that should be illegal too by your way of thinking. How do you like our money driven government watching over your shoulder and telling you what to do? Maybe they should put speed limiters in our cars, I mean no one would speed then… the possibilities are endless, just depends if you want freedom or communism.

3 large benefits of legalization, all of which would help move pressure AWAY from more taxation:

1) No more waste of billions of dollars trying to stop the illegal trade. Our tax dollars would be far more beneficial if used to combat chemically processed, more addictive/harmful drugs. Remember, this is an unprocessed plant we're talking about.
2) Government could tax what is sold, as they do with tobacco. This would be make the government a HUGE amount of money in taxes. This way people that actually use will be paying the taxes for any problems that happen, these are all currently being paid for by the general public. Instead of going to shady dealers this money would go to the government, that sounds good enough by itself.
3) Decrease in violence due to no demand for illegal gangs or trafficking networks.

I won't get into some of the 'problems' listed above because you probably pulled that directly off some elementary school's DARE website or something.

Onto the TDF issues. I completely agree that this year has been ridiculous, and I'm not sure how road cycling will ever get a good reputation. Those guys are machines and have to keep competitive if they're going to make it. With money comes problems…

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Speaking of dope(r)...

Evil Patrick said:
The problems only come in when my taxes .... the treatment of addicts that have become disfunctional sponges. Oh, and also there's an obvious problem when the impaired abuser decides to operate a motor vehicle on the same road that I drive and they lose control and mow me down. But as long as they don't
Dude, you're nuts. Unless I totally missed something, I will stand by that statement. Really. A natural occuring plant, shown to have so many positive "side effects" for all sorts of folks that is continuously bashed by a close-minded pro-booze group of nut jobs who have there heads up their you-know-whats...

My god - that alcohol is legal and weed is not makes ZERO sense, common or otherwise.

How many "Stoned Driving" deaths are there in a year? Uh huh. Underwhelming stat, eh? Now alcohol related driving deaths - nevermind the treatment costs of chronic drinkers - is/are staggering.

Turn your anti-weed ire towards booze - a much larger, broader, nasty "situation" that far more of your precious tax dollars go towards aiding & abetting.

(turns up anti-troll bait-taking setting)

As for the OP - I like cycling; Road, Mountain, Tack, BMX, Commuting - and no bunch of doping pro racers will affect that. They will, however, affect my desire to bother watching or reading about them! Very, very big difference.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
tiflow_21 said:
I won't get into some of the 'problems' listed above because you probably pulled that directly off some elementary school's DARE website or something.
Well said - all of it - especially the above quoted note!

:lol:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
glenzx said:
bunch of doping r
Dude, you're nuts. Unless I totally missed something, I will stand by that statement. Really. A natural occuring plant, shown to have so many positive "side effects" for all sorts of folks that is continuously bashed by a close-minded pro-booze group of nut jobs who have there heads up their you-know-whats...

My god - that alcohol is legal and weed is not makes ZERO sense, common or otherwise.

How many "Stoned Driving" deaths are there in a year? Uh huh. Underwhelming stat, eh? Now alcohol related driving deaths - nevermind the treatment costs of chronic drinkers - is/are staggering.

Turn your anti-weed ire towards booze - a much larger, broader, nasty "situation" that far more of your precious tax dollars go towards aiding & abetting.

(turns up anti-troll bait-taking setting)

As for the OP - I like cycling; Road, Mountain, Tack, BMX, Commuting - and no bunch of doping pro racers will affect that. They will, however, affect my desire to bother watching or reading about them! Very, very big difference.
+1

Listen to the following song for a good description of the alcoholic vs 'dysfunctional sponge' issue

Artist: The Streets
Album: Original Pirate Material
Song: The Irony of It All

·
skillz to pay billz
3,554 Posts
now you've done it, I've got the song "tell me lies tell me sweet little lies" stuck in my head. :madmax:

thanks to madlib for helping to exercise this evil song from my head

1 - 20 of 27 Posts