Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After cutting both front and rear S-Works Fasttrak LK tires last weekend in my race, I decided to investigate alternatives. I had barely worn off the little mold hairs before killing these. Kind of a shame, but that's the risk of using high end light tires. I've been running Specialized tires for a long time w/ good luck, even w/ S-Works models in the past. I believe that these new tires are a bit thinner than what I've seen in past, and maybe not as durable, but certainly light (500g) and a great tread and large volume! I noticed the new ones say "thailand" on the side, whereas my older ones say "taiwan".

I recall reading somewhere that these newer "thailand" tires may be manufactured by the same factory that does Kenda? Anyone know the facts of this? They sure do seem similar to my Kenda Karma's, in thickness and appearance.

For Bend, Oregon riding, the trails are pretty dry and smooth, except for the occasional techy lava rock gardens. That is what killed mine. I think my other tires of the slightly lower level, or a UST specific model would have been just fine.

My personal opinion is that the "second tier" Taiwan made versions are more durable and not significantly heavier. Those "Control" tires measure out at 530g. Not too shabby.

Anyone else have similar opinions?

Here's a clip from the specialized site:
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCTechPopup.jsp?pid=Tire_ControlCasing

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have pics, but I tried to salvage them for training. One was the standard casing cut, on the riding contact zone in between some corner knobs. It was a gash of about 1/4-3/8" on the back tire. It was a hard enough impact, my fault, to dent my Stan's rim pretty bad and I was even riding a full suspension. 32psi, which is about 4psi firmer than I'd usually run. (I was trying to be conservative after having mechanicals in the previous 5 years on this course)

The front tire had a pretty large, yet thin sidewall cut perpendicular to the rim, and about 3/4" long. I initially thought the flat was caused by a smallish 1mm cut to the upper casing and repaired it w/ superglue. Upon re-inflating w/ some fresh Stan's, it was spraying out the sidewall, where I was surprised to see such a large cut, barely hanging in there.

The Control tires are significantly thicker in my hands, but the weight isn't much more. The rubber wears longer too.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
CDB said:
After cutting both front and rear S-Works Fasttrak LK tires last weekend in my race, I decided to investigate alternatives. I had barely worn off the little mold hairs before killing these. Kind of a shame, but that's the risk of using high end light tires. I've been running Specialized tires for a long time w/ good luck, even w/ S-Works models in the past. I believe that these new tires are a bit thinner than what I've seen in past, and maybe not as durable, but certainly light (500g) and a great tread and large volume! I noticed the new ones say "thailand" on the side, whereas my older ones say "taiwan".

I recall reading somewhere that these newer "thailand" tires may be manufactured by the same factory that does Kenda? Anyone know the facts of this? They sure do seem similar to my Kenda Karma's, in thickness and appearance.

For Bend, Oregon riding, the trails are pretty dry and smooth, except for the occasional techy lava rock gardens. That is what killed mine. I think my other tires of the slightly lower level, or a UST specific model would have been just fine.

My personal opinion is that the "second tier" Taiwan made versions are more durable and not significantly heavier. Those "Control" tires measure out at 530g. Not too shabby.

Anyone else have similar opinions?

Here's a clip from the specialized site:
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCTechPopup.jsp?pid=Tire_ControlCasing
i run the s-works tires that the bikes came with untill i rip the sidewall out , -------for me being the morron that i am that is generally the first ride , --( but if you have ever been at southmountain here in phoenix -------its not the place to take an s-works tire )

but after i ruined them , i went with the controll tire , --( actually the chunder controll 2.2 and or 2.3 ------i really like the 2.3 ---but these are not xc type tires obviously )
but the controll chunders are fairly strong ----you stil have to try and not get caught up in sharp shail and quarts .--( i have not ripped out a chunder control yet , --and i sure should of ------they are hurt looking but still work )

now on my 08 stumpy , i had the captain controls on it ---( and why it only comes in 2.0 who knows)
but i was doing DH stuff with those on the stumpy ( which is stupid because the bike and tires obviously are not meant for that )

and i had to switch to the 2.3 chundre control because i ripped the sidwall out of the captain control tires ,---
and the 2.3 chunder kinda hurt the cool aceleration the stumpy had :madman:

anyway, ----i would try the fast track control and see how they work for you , -------their definalty stronger than the s-works fast track---:eekster:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.