Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
XC racer
Joined
·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first round of the Balance Bar Texas State XC Championship Series is this Sunday at Bluff Creek Ranch in Warda,TX. 345 pre-registered, over twice what ever has before, so it's looking to be a big one.
Local title sponsor BikeSport is pitching in extra cash to the Men's Pro/C1 class, and the ranch and Bicycles Outback are both pitching in cash to the new Women's Pro/C1, along with all the regular stuff you can expect at a TMBRA race. Weather is supposed to be mild, in the 70s, can't wait to see everyone again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
It's going to be awesome. I've been working hard for this one since last spring. The 12 hour race there earlier this month really gave me some more time to get the course dialed. I can't wait.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
jd1072 said:
It's going to be awesome. I've been working hard for this one since last spring. The 12 hour race there earlier this month really gave me some more time to get the course dialed. I can't wait.
I can't wait either. Going to be a blast!

Based on how you've been finishing in recent races, you're going to kill it! You just keeping getting faster. Good luck!
 

·
Big Boy
Joined
·
978 Posts
I am pre registered and this is gonna be my first race. I am super excited and nervous. Going out Saturday for the first time racers clinic and a spin through the course if the dont have it closed off. Look for the clyde in CAT 3. Dont really know what to expect, and i dont wanna be last.
 

·
SS XC Junkie
Joined
·
505 Posts
texasnavy05 said:
I am pre registered and this is gonna be my first race. I am super excited and nervous. Going out Saturday for the first time racers clinic and a spin through the course if the dont have it closed off. Look for the clyde in CAT 3. Dont really know what to expect, and i dont wanna be last.
Don't sweat it. Go out there and have fun. Warda is a FUN course it's got a little bit of everything. It'll be open Saturday to pre-ride. Allan puts on a good clinic too so definitely make time to attend that. On Saturday when you ride the course - ride it slow and check it out. Saturday at TMBRA is pre-ride NOT pre-race... Let the other guys blaze by ya. Pre-ride is to get a feel for the course not set your personal best. You'll have to put down some energy on climbing mule trace and palisades but outside of that the course should be a blast. Regardless of where you come place, you'll never be last because a lot of riders either won't show up or won't finish. You'll be doing 2 laps so enjoy yourself out there and pace yourself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
I got my first ever win in a mountain bike race and had the fastest overall cat 1 mens time by several minutes. I'm super happy with my results and look forward to getting my butt handed to me in the open class after the fall series.

@scot785 - Jacob is a machine; he schooled me in many a race last year. You did good to to beat him even if he is only 14. I think he took 2nd or 3rd in nationals in a huge heat (and at crazy altitude).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
My first Cat 1 race went alright. Before the start Jd1057 asked me to pull him down the start straight into the strong headwind. Bad strategy for me but I never had a chance at doing well, so I figured I would help out. I finished out the first bit of singletrack in sight of the lead guys and then worked my way to the back.

I finished 9/13 2:12 for 4 laps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
I raced single speed open. Finished tenth. I definitely need to build my single speed fitness. It was lacking. I wasn't too disappointed though. I just have to get in race shape. It was a great day for racing, and you gotta love Warda.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
Bike29 said:
My first Cat 1 race went alright. Before the start Jd1057 asked me to pull him down the start straight into the strong headwind. Bad strategy for me but I never had a chance at doing well, so I figured I would help out. I finished out the first bit of singletrack in sight of the lead guys and then worked my way to the back.

I finished 9/13 2:12 for 4 laps
I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit man - you did awesome. You were right with 7th and 8th so with a little better energy management, you'd have likely had those guys too. I was really just joking at the start when I asked for a tow, and then looked over to see you by the time we passed the cattle guards, and was very happy to let you lead the way. That was awesome! I do think you were onto something with trying to see what the lead pace is like. I've done the same thing many times, and it's a great way to learn. Muchos gracias for the post-race beer and chair to sit in. I'm very much looking forward to Comfort and hope to see you out there.

In the future don't let other racer's requests sway your strategy (especially direct competitors). If I knew I could get away with it, I'd probably ask you to carry my water bottles and nutrition too :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
jd1072 said:
I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit man - you did awesome. You were right with 7th and 8th so with a little better energy management, you'd have likely had those guys too. I was really just joking at the start when I asked for a tow, and then looked over to see you by the time we passed the cattle guards, and was very happy to let you lead the way. That was awesome! I do think you were onto something with trying to see what the lead pace is like. I've done the same thing many times, and it's a great way to learn. Muchos gracias for the post-race beer and chair to sit in. I'm very much looking forward to Comfort and hope to see you out there.

In the future don't let other racer's requests sway your strategy (especially direct competitors). If I knew I could get away with it, I'd probably ask you to carry my water bottles and nutrition too :p
Oh yeah I cant wait for Comfort. Not too sure about those hills though
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top