Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all... I finally got another MB so I'm back on the saddle. I am looking to learn as much as I can, but the problem with that is I am the only person I know who rides bikes still (the self powered kind). Are there any good local forums that announce group rides? I am down to drive anywhere within 3-4 hours on any given weekend to ride, so I thought I'd put a post up. Hope to ride with you all soon.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
You weren't very specific as to your location, but I see from your site you are in Houston.
There isn't a whole lot of riding there, but some good riding between there and Austin.

Check bikemojo for ride boards. ATX is well within your range and has some great riding, as is Waco.

·
conchord
29 Posts
Check out GHORBA.org for Houston area rides and trail info. I am in the Galleria area so I usually hit Memorial Park when I get a chance, but there are still some other good trails in the area like the Anthills and Jack Brooks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info... I'll jump on those other forums and read around. Memorial seems like a good start since it is so close, but the Anthills look pretty cool too. Where is ATX? Is that the Austin area?

You weren't very specific as to your location, but I see from your site you are in Houston.
Sorry about that. I'm in Kingwood... About 20ish miles North of Houston

·
Registered
347 Posts
The Bike Lane Group rides every second Sunday in Huntsville State Park. You're more than welcome to join us.

·
bicycle bicycle bicycle
80 Posts
I'm in Kingwood also and just moved here from SC. I've hit Double Lake, East End and Cypresswood. Contact me and maybe we can ride some time.
Just message me.

·
"Clatto Verata Nicto"
93 Posts
Rocky Hill Ranch and Bluff Creek Ranch

The majority of riders at Rocky Hill Ranch come from Houston. It's located towards Austin from the Big H near Smithville, a couple of miles East/North on 153 from Hiway 71. (or from 290, go South at Paige)

Current website is here, however there is a change in management in process. The Saloon and Cafe will be reopening soon.

RHR is the second oldest "bike ranch" in Texas and had been unique in having camping, hot showers, great food and cold beer for many years, and should be back in full swing before Summer.

If riding in a Pine forest on sweet flowing singletrack with some challenging climbs sounds good to you, this is a good choice.

The trails are open, the Saloon is being renovated. A twenty mile loop is possible, and it's about 1.5 hours from most parts of Houston, even less from the West side of town.

The oldest bike ranch in the state is Bluff Creek Ranch at Warda, between LaGrange and Giddings (near RHR). It has about 8 miles of trails, camping, showers, and Damon cooks a pretty good burger from Longhorn cattle raised on the ranch. The trails are moderate to challenging and a couple of loops will make a good day of riding.

They are about fifteen or twenty miles apart, so a weekend of camping could include both.

These are each worth the short trip. Ask anyone who's ridden there.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I live in Houston as well and am the only person I know that rides bikes as well. I have been to Memorial, Terry Hershey (anthills), downtown park, and Lake Houston State Park all in a month. I plan on going up to RHR and BCR in the next month if weather permits. The weather this weekend is going to be crappy and I'm depressed I won't be able to get on my bike. :madman:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts