Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
Oh for christ's sake!!!

Dear dave: I'm as much a fan of my DHR as these freaks are with their xc rigs. I ride my turner weekly (daily for spurts in the summer) and frequently reccommend the brand. But I'm not sure the highline is well represented enough here on these forums. I think the best way to overcome that little hurdle is to get out the gospel.........send some random stuff my way and I'll be happy to post my unbiased, highly positive yet fully objective opinion praising the technology, the craftmanship...... But most of all I would of course welcome the chance to tell jayem and steve from JH to go butt hump each other in pure horst felt passion when I talk about what an effective freeride machine you've created regardless of the pivot placements.. I mean really, the highline needs the publicity doncha think?

That's my take, how did you guys do it? :D

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kidwoo said:
But most of all I would of course welcome the chance to tell jayem and steve from JH to go butt hump each other in pure horst felt passion.
Dude:

Don't harsh on those guys like that. I was just gonna pm them and see if they'd like to follow me around with their laptops, charts, and micrometers.

·
Homer's problem child
1,320 Posts
kidwoo said:
But most of all I would of course welcome the chance to tell jayem and steve from JH to go butt hump each other in pure horst felt passion when I talk about what an effective freeride machine you've created regardless of the pivot placements..
:D :D :D :D :D :D :p :p

As mechanical engineer I repsect that they (Jayem and SFJH and others) are taking a hard look at the problem, but I also realize with the right resources and time they would both be made to look a bit foolish.

As a rider I respect what Aqua, Zilla, and the others are doing by simply riding TNT and HL back to back and giving us real "feel" info we as riders can all relate to.

Designers and engineers design and build fighter jets with theoretical capabilities and limits, test pilots find the ACTUAL capabilities and limits. They are often not the same, sometimes pilots do things the designers and engineers think are impossible, sometimes the designers and engineers do things the pilots think are impossible.

How many people have to ride the TNT rear end and report that the differences are not perceivable to 99% of the people that ride the bike? Do they really need a mathmatical model or computer model to confirm this?

If someone is willing to pay up I'll put together and run LS-DYNA simulations of both rear ends under braking and pedaling loads. I'll also need to get a data aquisition package (like what Push Industries has only with more stuff) and need test riders and bikes. I'll take data aquired from this and use it in software analysis and keep iterating until a quantifiable solution is obtained. May take a while and I'll probably get a Phd in the process but my guess is it will shut everyone up.

I think T.E. and Specialized should pony up and pay to have something like that run since they are the ones selling the "superior" designs.

B

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
aqua toy???

what a surprise! you should add that to yer........... oh. nevermind.

so what DONT you rip on? well besides knitting needles? by the way thats a killer pic. winston again i presume. hehe

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
Aqua, like the others that have posted their impressions I'm looking forward to your findings. Keep us posted and please put as many ridiculous formulas as you can possibly cram into one post. Then be sure to tell any doubters how stupid we are for not taking an unqualified word as the gospel. Cool water toy BTW, its -2 right now, I miss the water...

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Trevor! said:
That's a cool chain stay protector. Where'd you get it from?
He's not awake yet (he likes to get his beauty rest) so I'll answer - it's Jet ski padding material.

Before Aqua donned the lycra, he was a world champion in pro Jet ski competition. a) That is impressive; b) we are not worthy.

·
Never enough time to ride
1,575 Posts
Man, he just likes to go big, doesn't matter what he's doin. Cool. I can appreciate Steve from JH and Jayem's take on it from an engineering, by the numbers and purely theoretical stand point, though I'm thinkin it's starting to get a bit old and overdone. But I much more appreciate the real world, hands on testing, Zilla, Tscheesy, Aqua and others have done.

Now here's one I'd like to see, how does the new linkage work on the back end of say a Burner or an XCE?? So far I've most of the testers have noted a slight change in how firmly the bike pedaled, would the same be true for the older rocker configuration? Might be fun to find out.

happy trails...

squish

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
kidwoo said:
jayem and steve from JH to go butt hump each other in pure horst felt passion :D
I almost giggled myself into a hernia when DT very innocently, but in an ironic and accidentally perspicacious slip, called Steve from JH, "Steve from JM" recently. :D :D

I bet JM is puffing up like a sage grouse at the thought of being put in the same "engineering" category as Steve. :rolleyes:

Kidwoo, if you want to put my Pack TNT rear end on your DHR, I bet DT would go for it. I'll let you know when I'm done "testing"...

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Before anyone continues their praise of Jayem's engineering input, you might want to keep in mind that he is a 28 year old bike shop manager, with no engineering degree, who post whores on every subject whether he knows anything about the subject or not. I have little respect for spewed garbage, and for anyone who tries on a daily basis to pass off incorrect information as fact.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,789 Posts
Renegade said:
Before anyone continues their praise of Jayem's engineering input, you might want to keep in mind that he is a 28 year old bike shop manager, with no engineering degree, who post whores on every subject whether he knows anything about the subject or not. I have little respect for spewed garbage, and for anyone who tries on a daily basis to pass off incorrect information as fact.
Haha.

I only work in the bike shop part time now. I never claimed to be a manager.

I'm actually a Flight Instructor with an Aeronautical Science degree.

I'm also not that old.

Thanks for playing (and loosing) in today's episode of "internet guess".

You're a really bitter old man eh?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.