Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Roll Tide
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to have a wheelset put together for me and I want to be sure the person putting them together will do an outstanding job. What are a few questions to ask the potential builder to find out if they are capable?

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
Sanjuro's idea of customer satisfaction isn't bad but some customer's might think that a wheel-truing and re-tension after a few rides is a normal and acceptable thing - and it isn't.

If I was qualifying a wheelbuilder as to whether he/she was an "expert" I'd first ask their opinion on nipple thread and seat lube and their opinion on spoke windup/stress relief. I don't think years of wheelbuilding or numbers built means anything as they could have been repeating bad practices all those years.

Read up on wheelbuilding in my sig and then you'll have appreciation of what it takes to build acceptable wheels. You might even be motivated to do it yourself.

·
Old man on a bike
12,397 Posts
You might try posting up who you're planning on using to get feedback too. The best person to be responsible for the build is you, try building them yourself. Not as hard as you might think...

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Mike T. said:
Sanjuro's idea of customer satisfaction isn't bad but some customer's might think that a wheel-truing and re-tension after a few rides is a normal and acceptable thing - and it isn't.

If I was qualifying a wheelbuilder as to whether he/she was an "expert" I'd first ask their opinion on nipple thread and seat lube and their opinion on spoke windup/stress relief. I don't think years of wheelbuilding or numbers built means anything as they could have been repeating bad practices all those years.

Read up on wheelbuilding in my sig and then you'll have appreciation of what it takes to build acceptable wheels. You might even be motivated to do it yourself.
You have a good point about that.

From my experience from "buying" wheels, I realize that the crappy wheel builders just slapped it together.

From my experience as a wheel builder, I do all the steps you mention.

Of course, if I was to buy wheels again, I would know right away what to expect!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.