Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LBS ordering in the new '09 FSRxc Comp for me to try about 10 days ago and I managed to make it over there for a test ride last night. Here's a link to the specs: https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2009&Brand=Specialized&Model=FSR+XC+Comp&Type=bike The price at the shop is $1650. We put it on the scale and the large came in at 32.1 pounds.

Overall it was a nice bike, though I didn't like it quite a much as the Cannondale Rize 5 that I rode just after it. It's hard to pinpoint what I liked better about the Rize, it just felt more natural beneath. The C'dale is $150 more, and weighed in at 31.1 pounds. I'm also considering the Giant Trance X2 (if I can find one in a 20") and the Trek Fuel EX7. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. The '09 is quite different from the '07. It's almost like a "baby stumpy." Same travel and geometry, but older frame technology and lower spec'd. The Trek I'm looking at is also an '07 on closeout, so a great price, though I have seen lower $ posted on this forum. The shop I was at last night can get an '08 FSRxc Pro from their other location, but I think getting up to that pricepoint there are better options.

I did like the '09 xc, but just preferred the Rize.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Mpower said:
I test rode the 08 today and it felt too mushy. I assume you can only do so much to stiffin the suspension. Im interested in trying the 09
It's all about "tuning," it, as you say, to your liking. I'm at 215lbs, and after "tuning" the rear (which is what I assume you are referring to) to my liking, it is butter. I have no "bob" what so ever. You will probably see the majority of posts referring you to a SJ, but make sure you are buying the bike that fits your needs. I ride singletrack mixed with technical and some 2-3' drops, so it suits me great. Climbs like a champ and descends as well as most. All in all, its a great XC bike. If your looking for something that's made for 4+ drops and hairy descents, then this probably isn't the bike for you. However, from experience, I would guess(based on your posts), your not sure what you actually "need," In which case you wouldn't be asking which bike you "needed."

IMO, if you don't "need" it, then why buy a SJ for $1000(based on Comp to Comp comparison) more? Some may say you will "grow" into the SJ, but then again, maybe you don't need it. All I'm saying is keep it in perspective. Take a minute and think about your riding style. IF the XC doesn't suit you, then go for the SJ (as it is a superior bike, as it should be - based on cost).

Bottom line~ spend what's in your budget and enjoy the hell out of it!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Coop29 said:
It's all about "tuning," it, as you say, to your liking. I'm at 215lbs, and after "tuning" the rear (which is what I assume you are referring to) to my liking, it is butter. I have no "bob" what so ever. You will probably see the majority of posts referring you to a SJ, but make sure you are buying the bike that fits your needs. I ride singletrack mixed with technical and some 2-3' drops, so it suits me great. Climbs like a champ and descends as well as most. All in all, its a great XC bike. If your looking for something that's made for 4+ drops and hairy descents, then this probably isn't the bike for you. However, from experience, I would guess(based on your posts), your not sure what you actually "need," In which case you wouldn't be asking which bike you "needed."

IMO, if you don't "need" it, then why buy a SJ for $1000(based on Comp to Comp comparison) more? Some may say you will "grow" into the SJ, but then again, maybe you don't need it. All I'm saying is keep it in perspective. Take a minute and think about your riding style. IF the XC doesn't suit you, then go for the SJ (as it is a superior bike, as it should be - based on cost).

Bottom line~ spend what's in your budget and enjoy the hell out of it!
Good post. What made me lose faith in tuning the suspension was the fact that the guys at my LBS didnt have much confidence that it could be much more stiffend and pretty much didnt like the Fusion rear suspension overall.

This all could well have been because of their inability to tune for all I know. Test riding a Giant Anthem 2 on the same visit and loving it probably didnt help. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rear Suspension Proprietary

One thing I did not like about my 2007 FSR XC was the proprietary suspension shock measurements. When I bought the bike I was not to crazy about the X-Fusion rear shock and figured I will upgrade that down the road. But I found out the eye to eye shock measurements where not common and I could not get a shock for it anywhere. Called Push and they said they could make one but it would be around 550 dollars. I tried to have my bike store order one through Spec. and could not get a Fox Triad through them either. I ended up selling my FSR XC for a Giant Trance which uses standard sizing shocks. The Trance's ride is a lot better. I would either look at a Stumpjumper that at least has a Fox Triad or a Giant.

·
Registered
1 Posts
mtbikeguy73 said:
One thing I did not like about my 2007 FSR XC was the proprietary suspension shock measurements. When I bought the bike I was not to crazy about the X-Fusion rear shock and figured I will upgrade that down the road. But I found out the eye to eye shock measurements where not common and I could not get a shock for it anywhere. Called Push and they said they could make one but it would be around 550 dollars. I tried to have my bike store order one through Spec. and could not get a Fox Triad through them either. I ended up selling my FSR XC for a Giant Trance which uses standard sizing shocks. The Trance's ride is a lot better. I would either look at a Stumpjumper that at least has a Fox Triad or a Giant.
Does anyone know if the 2009 fsr xc has the same issue with proprietary shock size ?

Hoping it might not because of the new design frame.

I was thinking of buying the 09 with the intention of upgrading the shock next year but if it can't be done will have to think again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
First post...great forum with alot of great info! I am close to pullin' the trigger on either an 08 XC Pro or a 09 XC Expert. The cost difference is minimal due to the closeout pricing. I am really torn between the old frame style with the upgraded components or the newer SJ inspired frame with the lesser components. I am 200 lbs without gear and ride mostly fireroads and single track...no more big jumps for me! Can't afford to heal time anymore. Your input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
The Mud Stud
1,435 Posts
Probably a personal preference. Some like single pivot systems. Or it was the propedal setting. Its been conclusively found though that single pivot systems simply do not work as well as fsr and floating pivot points at absorbing impact and at the same time remaining active through braking and pedaling without bobbing. Yea. Its complicated.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The 09 follows the current Stumpjumper frame design and travel (120mm) vs the 08 at 100mm.

The geometry of the '09 is a little more slack or laid back than the '08, and I think it has a lower bottom bracket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
RS,
Thanks for your reply. Sorry for the newbie question. I assume the lower BB translates to a lower center of gravity but what effect will the "laid back" geometry have on ride and handling?

·
Registered
56 Posts
The slacker head angle will make the bike more stable at higher speeds, but will sacrifice low end turning and handling. And the lower BB, like you said, will improve turning and handling overall.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.