Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who's signing up. Opens later today. This will be my first. Hoping to finish under 4 hours. Probably a fairly lofty goal for a guy 265 pounds.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I registered last night! This will be my first TOM and I have been wanting to do it for a while. I will be there on my singlespeed. From what I have read it seems to be a great course and atmosphere. I know there are lots of variables but does anyone know what the typical SS ratios people are running?

·
Registered
385 Posts
See you at the finish line :). I road the course last fall on my ss (33x16) - pushed a fair chunk of the logging road. About half way through i was thinking about 32x16.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Single Speed Test

32x18 will work everywhere on the test. Rode that gear in 2000 to a 3:30 time. Sure looked funny at the start spinning out. Most people will give you a push as they ride by - gotta love that race. Thinking of riding a cross bike this year..... Good luck!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks for the info everyone. I am really looking forward to this race. Larry so you are thinking of a cross bike? I saw on ride guide a few years ago some footage of someone riding a cross bike at TOM. How technical are the trails then? In the back of my mind I keep thinking I should ride it fixed on my 29er...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Fixed gear? I Double Dog Dare you! I can see it done single speed cross - maybe a 34x23 gear? When the pineapple express hits our neck of the woods, I'll try it on the Salsa. Stay tuned. The Test is not considered technical by BC standards but a very fun ride. The best technical race was back in the day run by Kona called the Hell of the North. Ran on Mount Seymore and included such trails as Severed Dick and Dales Trail. Someone should bring it back

1 - 6 of 6 Posts