Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
aka...appBLING72
1,032 Posts
Cowboy-jeff said:
Testing, testing 123..........

Hey man, I always like black. Is it new? What fork is that, the AM1? How does the head angle feel to you with it? I have the E13 reducer cups with a 06 Z1 Light. So I will lose a little height. I am debating whether to go with a 66SL to get a little slacker head angle.

·
Penny's my cow-cat
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Satin Black is beautiful

aappling72 said:
Hey man, I always like black. Is it new? What fork is that, the AM1? How does the head angle feel to you with it? I have the E13 reducer cups with a 06 Z1 Light. So I will lose a little height. I am debating whether to go with a 66SL to get a little slacker head angle.
Yeah it's new, about 2 weeks. It's a Medium Satin black and weighs a tad over 32lbs. I've only had a few "real" rides on it untill the weather turned ugly :mad: Up front I have the AM1 and Cane creek short and it feels pretty good, not too tall. The head angle is fine, gone is that twichy feeling my 5.5 had at speed.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Cowboy-jeff said:
Yeah it's new, about 2 weeks. It's a Medium Satin black and weighs a tad over 32lbs. I've only had a few "real" rides on it untill the weather turned ugly :mad: Up front I have the AM1 and Cane creek short and it feels pretty good, not too tall. The head angle is fine, gone is that twichy feeling my 5.5 had at speed.
Looks sweet!
Any problems with the top of the fork knobs hitting the bottom of the down tube like the 5.5?

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Jeff,
I was just curious. How much was your 5point5 weighing with the same build? I'd like a comparison.

Ronnie.

·
Penny's my cow-cat
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to go

Hanzo90802 said:
Looks sweet!
Any problems with the top of the fork knobs hitting the bottom of the down tube like the 5.5?
Thanks! No problems with the knobs hitting the down tube. I have alot of room to spare. Even with the Cane creek flush the knobs clear.

·
Penny's my cow-cat
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure.

Ronnie said:
Jeff,
I was just curious. How much was your 5point5 weighing with the same build? I'd like a comparison.

Ronnie.
Hey Ron
I'm not sure about the weight of my 5.5, maybe 30lbs. I think the 6.6 is about 2lbs and a tad more than the 5.5 was. I weighed it on my not to accurate bathroom scale so it could be off a bit. I don't have a lot of time on the bike, but I didn't feel the extra weight on the climbs though. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
I just had a look at the Intense site. They give the 5point5 weight as 6.5 to 6.8 pounds and the 6poin6 as 7.25 to 7.4 pounds. I don't know if that includes shock but it should be possible to build them up to within a pound of each other.

Ronnie.

·
Penny's my cow-cat
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Intense site

Ron, yeah I paid a visit to the Intense site last night and was thinking the same thing too. I would think just switching the parts around would come out a pound or so more. MBA's 6point6 (similar build as your 5.5) test bike weighed 29.5 and that's pretty light for this type of bike. I'm not really THAT concerned about the weight, just as long as it's under 35lbs. Sorry for the bad pic's, it was just a test sheez :eek:

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
We just weighed a med 6.6 with a DHX Air shock on my digi fish scale, 7.13 pounds so roughly about 7 3/4's of a pound. If the frame had a RP3 it probably would way under 7 1/2.

Can you measure the HD tube angle at all? Im debating what headset to go with, flush reducer cups and IS headset bearings or a headset like yours.

·
aka...appBLING72
1,032 Posts
My medium weighed 7.9 lbs with a DHX air on my digital scale. It could have been the powdercoat color with the extra clear coat on top of that that added the extra weight.

·
Penny's my cow-cat
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Measure

drumstix said:
We just weighed a med 6.6 with a DHX Air shock on my digi fish scale, 7.13 pounds so roughly about 7 3/4's of a pound. If the frame had a RP3 it probably would way under 7 1/2.

Can you measure the HD tube angle at all? Im debating what headset to go with, flush reducer cups and IS headset bearings or a headset like yours.
Drumstix
How do I measure my head tube angle? :confused: I'd like to know what the angle is too. Can you give me some easy instructions to follow and do I need any special tools?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Cowboy-jeff said:
Drumstix
How do I measure my head tube angle? :confused: I'd like to know what the angle is too. Can you give me some easy instructions to follow and do I need any special tools?

I probably worded that wrong, anyway you can buy a cheap tool at home depo for about 8 bucks or so, just hold it flat on the fork or stanchion (?) tube and it will tell you the degree of the head angle. You can find it in the tool area, its used to find angles for construction I guess like framing.

·
Penny's my cow-cat
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No Home depo out here but

I'll head to the OBI tomorrow and try and find one.

·
Penny's my cow-cat
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Head angle

Well I searched and searched but I couldn't find a tool to measure the HA of my 6.6. So with the help of my wife I measured it. The technique I used is a bit primitive but seems to be pretty accurate. My wife held a bubble level across the fork and I placed on top of it a triangle that measures angles. The angle came to 68°. Probably not exactly 68° but it's in the ballpark. So there you go.

If anyones knows a better (easy) method to measure the HA, please let me know. :cool:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Cowboy-jeff said:
Well I searched and searched but I couldn't find a tool to measure the HA of my 6.6. So with the help of my wife I measured it. The technique I used is a bit primitive but seems to be pretty accurate. My wife held a bubble level across the fork and I placed on top of it a triangle that measures angles. The angle came to 68°. Probably not exactly 68° but it's in the ballpark. So there you go.

If anyones knows a better (easy) method to measure the HA, please let me know. :cool:
I use a protractor made by General tools, here is the picture:

http://www.generaltools.com/pdf/035_gtcatalog.pdf

It's impossible that you don't have that at Home Depot or other construction or hardware stores. I think it's a bit more than $8 but probably not much, I bought mine a long time ago.

To measure head angle, first make sure your bike is level, then take off your stem and place the protractor bar on your headtube, level the angle plate and read the number you get. For the seat angle, just remove your seatpost and insert the protractor bar inside your seatpost. Very easy and provides a measure accurate to about half a degree.

Let us know what you get if you try it, I'm curious, you'll also have to tell us what fork, headset and even tire you use if the front is bigger then the rear because that changes the angles.

Cheers

·
Penny's my cow-cat
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool tool

Hey BanzaiRider, thanks for the tool pic. I'll go back this week and look again amongst the tool section. I think I might of seen something similar to your pic. I'll post my results if I find one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts