1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
125 Posts
Looking forward to your build details on this one, Troutie, as I have one of these roaming around the house. Do you reckon one of those DX 35mm reflectors with the threaded section cut off the back might just fit, to give a smoother spot? The stock optic is a bit messy.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AlisterG said:
Looking forward to your build details on this one, Troutie, as I have one of these roaming around the house. Do you reckon one of those DX 35mm reflectors with the threaded section cut off the back might just fit, to give a smoother spot? The stock optic is a bit messy.
:thumbsup: AliG :lol: those are the build details it is as simple as the pics .

I am not familiar with the reflector you mention but 35 mm is good for the torch head diameter.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ahem - AliG - a happy coincidence...

The reflector is this one, http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14599 which cropped up in your thread on MC-E optics. Not conducive to the compact builds for which you are renowned, but good for a basic build.

Unfortunately for me, my troubled computer cannot always see the pix and videos, but having now pulled the torch apart, it looks like a relatively easy DIY build with even basic tools. More kudos to you for discovering it.

AliG

·
Registered
125 Posts
The cut down DX reflector is a little too long, not leaving much room for a slug in the head . I was hoping to cut slots in the switch end, into which I was going to wedge a bflex, so using the existing switch push, sand a little off the threads and push fitting it into the torch head.

If you got a good spot from the stock optic (which seems likely from your beamshots posting pics), I'll just use that. As you say, the heatsink looks like being the problem - I'm not happy that the stock bits are adequate - so I'm planning on getting some 1 3/8" bar and grinding off some of the torch head inner.

Any advice smudge? Yours looks tidy.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Troutie

Apologies for not replying sooner, but I think I'm going to have a go making a bigger 1 1/8" slug in the narrower rear of the head and try to get the reflector in. Thanks anyway and if all fails I'll contact you again.

AliG

·
Registered
125 Posts
Troutie will know the answer to this but I think the lathe is the only option as the thread pitch is unlikely to be obtainable from an easily available die, which are usually standard threads such as BSPT or metric bolt threads. As an example, the head end of the battery tube is about the same diameter as an M20 bolt but the thread pitch is much finer.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
AlisterG said:
Troutie will know the answer to this but I think the lathe is the only option as the thread pitch is unlikely to be obtainable from an easily available die, which are usually standard threads such as BSPT or metric bolt threads. As an example, the head end of the battery tube is about the same diameter as an M20 bolt but the thread pitch is much finer.
Finding a die with thr right pitch and diameter would be hard and costly I think.
I didnot think there was a driver in the AA torch . have to have a look at mine.

My lathe is really old and I can only do imperial threads and learning at that .
but a lot of the UK engineering stuff went out to china so the threads stand a good chance of being imperial .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Why does this method need to replace the alu slug from the original torch? are the replacement stars larger? I've got a cut down C cell here and I'm wondering what to do with it.

A triple would be nice but I don't know anything about the various emitters. It's all random letters to me at this time. Is there a comparison chart anywhere?

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Surfr said:
Why does this method need to replace the alu slug from the original torch? are the replacement stars larger? I've got a cut down C cell here and I'm wondering what to do with it.

A triple would be nice but I don't know anything about the various emitters. It's all random letters to me at this time. Is there a comparison chart anywhere?
because the slug that is in there is not good enough to take the MCE or triple
and the leds would overheat and be destroyed

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.