Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a month ago i've posted about a terrible noise coming from the bearings. i did order a new set of bearings, but i have not placed on my bike yet. i simply oiled the bearing areas and the noise subsided for around 75 miles and still counting. could it be this simple or do i still need to change it soon? no noise and i am happy. i just thought i'll post something that worked for me.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Possible frozen bearings

jsfreedom said:
a month ago i've posted about a terrible noise coming from the bearings. i did order a new set of bearings, but i have not placed on my bike yet. i simply oiled the bearing areas and the noise subsided for around 75 miles and still counting. could it be this simple or do i still need to change it soon? no noise and i am happy. i just thought i'll post something that worked for me.
You should inspect the through shafts and bolts that go through the center of the pivot bearings. Be sure the bolts have not turned into oiled "bushings" inside frozen bearings, which will wear out and fail sooner or later. If you remove the bolts and separate the links, you should be able to freely turn the inside race of the pivot bearings with your fingers. But it is quite possible the oil wicked past the bearing seals and freed up the dry ball bearings for a while.

- ray

1 - 2 of 2 Posts