Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
CrgCrkRyder
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you interested in some pain and suffering with a view, the Terrapin Mountain Predicament 2, a part of the Virginia Endurance Series is this Sunday at 9 AM. This is one of my favorite ride areas and is classic big mountain riding for the East Coast.

Virginia Endurance Series

14, 25, and 41 mile rides are scheduled. The shorter 2 will be at a slow pace. I would expect the 41 mile ride to be at a fast pace. The videos on the above link are pretty accurate depictions of the territory. I would consider these advanced rides technically and you need to be in pretty good physical condition (depending on the route it starts with a 1600 or 2500 foot climb right out of the gate). If you are not feeling it you can turn around and ride downhill to the parking area in the first 8 or 10 miles.

The most up to date info is on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/533425290022016/

I am leading the 25 mile ride that is described below as the Arcadia Up and Over:

Arcadia Up-n-over Mountain Bike Trail in Roanoke, Virginia || SINGLETRACKS.COM

It is beautiful and physically demanding old school National Forest mountain biking, no flow trails here.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Sorry Steve, if I weren't running the 10k on Mill Mtn Saturday, I'd be more inclined to try this one... rain check?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sunday was truly amazing. Thanks to you guys who planned and lead these awesome rides, by the way, scenery trumps the lack of flow trails by far..

20140414_123844_zpslt39by0s.jpg

20140413_132231_zps9dvrish8.jpg

20140413_133002_zpse3vh5pys.jpg

·
Registered
61 Posts
CCR, Gonna have to get up with ya on one of these rides! Wishing I could have made it, but didn't get out to ride until later that afternoon.

·
Less talk, more ride...
246 Posts
Brutal and beautiful. Sounds like a party.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,521 Posts
Awesome ride!!

I did the 25miler with CCR (thanks for leading, CCR). Turned out to be just a tad shorter (around 22-23 miles) with a 1/2 mile detour introduced by me being in the lead and missing a very obvious sign. You would think that going straight at a 4 way intersection would be hard to mess up..........

I was impressed at the size of the group that was doing the 42 miler. No way I had another 20 miles of that in me.

·
CrgCrkRyder
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome ride!!

I did the 25miler with CCR (thanks for leading, CCR). Turned out to be just a tad shorter (around 22-23 miles) with a 1/2 mile detour introduced by me being in the lead and missing a very obvious sign. You would think that going straight at a 4 way intersection would be hard to mess up..........

I was impressed at the size of the group that was doing the 42 miler. No way I had another 20 miles of that in me.
When we got back if somebody had said we had 15-20 miles more to go I would have died.:)

It was the sign at the intersection that was confusing. It said to Cornelius Creek trail which was where we were going. I had only been on that trail once and had forgotten about that intersection, but will know to stay straight next time.

Good times and a great adventure ride!

·
Less talk, more ride...
246 Posts
Ouch! Looks like a gut buster. Takes some nerve to ride through a pile of rocks like that.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi All,

I am thinking of doing part of this this coming weekend. Any sense of what the trails are like now that things have grown in? Are they passable? Thanks!

·
CrgCrkRyder
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi All,

I am thinking of doing part of this this coming weekend. Any sense of what the trails are like now that things have grown in? Are they passable? Thanks!
I would think most of it is fine. If you are going over the Terrapin Mountain side that stretch of the double track horse trail between Sunset Fields and Terrapin mountain gets terribly grown over. It was higher than my head last year and very hard to roll. What is your planned route?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks! I don't know the exact route yet. I was planning on taking the map here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o31tx8aoekka1a7/VES_Terrapin_Mnt_Perdicament_14.pdf and the also brining my National Geo map(s) and seeing how far I get. But I'm open to suggestions and would love inside intel and/or company.

EDITED to include correct link

I would think most of it is fine. If you are going over the Terrapin Mountain side that stretch of the double track horse trail between Sunset Fields and Terrapin mountain gets terribly grown over. It was higher than my head last year and very hard to roll. What is your planned route?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts