Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy and I are in CB for the week. We come out every year and always have a great time. Yesterday we tried out Teocalli for the first time and I just have to say, holy cow what a climb! Anyway, we were curious if many people are riding this trail. It seemed really rutted out and having to wade across the creek was interesting. Is this the usual conditions for this trail? While it was fun and very challenging--went over my handlebars once on the way down--it seemed like a bit of a mess. Taking it easy today and hitting the Upper and Upper Upper Loops.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, we came across a group of about 6 dirt bikes. Had a good day today, though. And tomorrow we will be hitting our favorite, 401. Hopefully I don't get to OTB on that!

·
bikma cost more thn carma
157 Posts
coming from a guy with a screen name like ShoulderFU? hmmmm:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes, the climb is always that long...and the rest of it just isn't worth that kind of exertion, but maybe that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Rode it a few weeks ago. It definitely seems a bit less ridden than some of the trails. Would've liked to have done Deer Creek, but the next day was Monarch Crest, so didn't feel like back-to-back epics, after doing Snodgrass-403-401 the day before.

The climbs were rough on me. Descent was pretty good, but it's definitely one of the more technical that I've ridden in the area (IMO).

How high was the creek? Rode through the first one

Vegetation Natural landscape Road Plant community Shrub

and walked through the second one on the fire road back to the parking area. The second one was definitely deeper! But, just low-mid shin high?

In parts of 403, though, you couldn't see the trail! I'm guessing that one also doesn't get a ton of bike traffic.

·
Not-quite-geezer RVer
243 Posts
Another semi-lurker's ride report...

Yo, Teocalli is supposed to be tough, right? Killer climb, awesome views, killer descent. That's the word on the street, anyway. And when I rode it last week, I thought it lived up to that reputation exactly. So Bacon Boy and the rest, I wouldn't be too worried, it's still an amazing ride if you like that sort of thing (which, I gather, you do).

The doubletrack ride up was kinda long but awfully purty.

The road didn't so much cross the creek as merge with it for about 50 yards on the way up. All of maybe 6 inches deep max, but I managed to get bogged down somewhere along the way with my little tires and had to trudge the rest of the way through on foot. Oh well, I'm used to that.

Partway up the singletrack climb it started to rain. I had expected to push a good bit of this part anyway, and the rain certainly didn't help. Builds character, right?

The view off the backside of the ridge toward Pearl Pass and such was really impressive and ominous looking. No lightning around though, thank goodness, so I lingered a bit and soaked it all in. Tried to visualize the route to Aspen but couldn't. Don't think that ride's in the cards for this year... but maybe next? :thumbsup:

The upper part of the descent was downright east coast: rocky, rooty, steep, slimy, lush. A little taste of Pisgah (or maybe Slatyfork, given the rain) in Colorado.

Okay, non-sequitur photo, but here's the bit of Slatyfork this reminded me of. Somewhat similar, no?

The exposed lower part of the descent was smooth and has some seriously steep segments. The rain made some of those challenging to even walk down. Most of this would be cake to roll, and super fast, in the dry, but it became a total slip-n-slide in the wet (hint: go early, duh). A few parts may have had some moto damage, but overall it seemed to be in decent shape and not overly trenched out. I've certainly encountered worse, anyway.

The creek on the return was about knee deep and made for a handy (and much needed) bike and body wash.

I'm looking forward to returning one day and riding this gem in the dry. But even after my fairly surreal experience in the wet, I'd still highly recommend Teocalli to anyone who relishes a challenge. Along with its slightly-less-punishing cousin Doctor Park down the valley, these rides just have a different vibe than most of the Butte. They both remind me of moderately technical east coast trails, but magically overlaid onto big Rocky Mountain scenery. That's a sweet combination in my book.

·
Registered
547 Posts
SkaredShtles said:
Sad to hear that Teocalli has degenerated over the years... :(

Motos = bad for Crested Butte singletrack
Motos made all the trails so they can't be that bad. They also do the majority of the trail work.
Teo has not been beatin down that bad over the years. Those guy just haven't ridden it that much.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,440 Posts
I used to be a bit more agnostic regarding the motos, but after a couple experiences on trails over between Taylor Res & Dr Park as well as on Flag I've modified my stance. IMO motos should not be allowed on singletrack around there. :(

·
Registered
547 Posts
Tolerence my young friend. I've always been a mtn biker, but picked up a moto last year to check out new trails, and help expand my local network. I used to get pissed when they would come, but now I notice the mtn biker attitude more so than the moto attitude towards mtn bikers. I lived in CB for the better part of 10 yrs, and know a lot of the moto crowd up there. They're are for the most part a great group. They do a lot of trail work, (more than the mtn bikers) and deserve an equal share of singletrack. Yes trails can get torn up, and yes there can attitudes, but those faults are found on both sides of the coin. If the locals can get along with them motos I don't see why the visitors can't. After there might be a day when you need help fast, and a moto is the only way you're going to get it on top of Double Top, or RFBD, or Doctor's or any number of trails.

·
Registered
547 Posts
That's the mtn biking attitude I like to see. It's DBs like you that get mtn bikers banned from singletrack. You should spend some time in CB before you get all butt hurt about motos.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,440 Posts
SicBith said:
That's the mtn biking attitude I like to see. It's DBs like you that get mtn bikers banned from singletrack. You should spend some time in CB before you get all butt hurt about motos.
So you're saying it's a slippery slope? I choose to disagree with that point, yet you bring out the personal insults. Nice attitude from a CB moto, there. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
We ran into motos on Teocalli a few weeks ago. They were cool, let us pass them until they had to pass back and off to the races.

·
Registered
547 Posts
SkaredShtles said:
So you're saying it's a slippery slope? I choose to disagree with that point, yet you bring out the personal insults. Nice attitude from a CB moto, there. :rolleyes:
That attitude came from a CB mtn biker. I moto in Summit Cty. Mtn biking gained access to a lot of land and trails by having tolerence for other trail users, and by organizing trail maintaince and building days. When mtn bikers come out and take a stance of wanting to limit trail use we start sounding like hikers and equestrians. Do you want to go back to those days? There is plenty of singletrack that motos can't access (CO Trail) go ride there if you don't like motos.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,440 Posts
SicBith said:
That attitude came from a CB mtn biker. I moto in Summit Cty. Mtn biking gained access to a lot of land and trails by having tolerence for other trail users, and by organizing trail maintaince and building days. When mtn bikers come out and take a stance of wanting to limit trail use we start sounding like hikers and equestrians. Do you want to go back to those days? There is plenty of singletrack that motos can't access (CO Trail) go ride there if you don't like motos.
Like I said, I used to be more tolerant... until I witnessed complete and utter trail destruction on a ride caused by motos. They completely DESTROYED the trail in more than one section that I rode. Hell - the trail at one point was raped (probably beyond repair) for literally HUNDREDS of yards.

Let's just say it changed my viewpoint.

Obviously YMMV.

·
Registered
547 Posts
SkaredShtles said:
Like I said, I used to be more tolerant... until I witnessed complete and utter trail destruction on a ride caused by motos. They completely DESTROYED the trail in more than one section that I rode. Hell - the trail at one point was raped (probably beyond repair) for literally HUNDREDS of yards.

Let's just say it changed my viewpoint.

Obviously YMMV.
You'll need to help me out with YMMV?????

That's the beauty of dirt, you can rebuild anything. I've worked on 2 different trail days, and have seen invitations for 5 trail days by the local moto club. I haven't seen or heard of 1 trail day by mtn bikers who make up the majority of trail users in Summit Cty. I know, and have participated in bike trail days put together by the CB Mtn Bike Association. Have you taken the time to help maintain the trails you use? You seem to enjoy trashing other users, but do YOU take responsibility for the damage, however slight you believe it to be, caused by your use of the trails.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts