Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Team Inflexible
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride the Santa Fe Trail all the time. I live down by the World Arena and have to ride through Tent City frequenty. You Northern Springs riders may not notice it but from Nevada to Downtown the homeless population is growing and I see piles of trash building up.

Is it me or does this not seem right??
Is our city not dealing with the issues???
Do you feel safe riding this section of the Santa Fe Trail?

Discuss.............

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
problem is the people who are supporting these folks by bringing them food and clothes. just to make themselves feel better (like their good deed for the day). most people think that these campers are a victim of the system, but go down there someday and see what they have. cell phones, nice tents and sleeping bags, food, booze and one tent actually has solar power and a tv/dvd set up. these aren't victims of anything but themselves. some believe that the homeless population has risen due to the economy, and to some extent, i am sure it has but the biggest reason these camps have popped up like they have is because colo springs is homeless friendly and people are coming from all over to be welcomed here. most of these folks are dangerous to themselves and others. the violence down in these camps is bad. these are things i see all the time as i respond to calls down here while working on the ambulance. so before any of you get mad at me (again!) because i am an insensitive a-hole, take a walk, or ride down there and see for yourself, and if you get thirsty just take a drink from the creek - I dare you!

·
Your retarded
3,085 Posts
Jay, you identified a problem, what's your proposed solution? How do you want the city to "deal" with the "issue"?

Jaydude said:
Do you feel safe riding this section of the Santa Fe Trail?
When I'm on a bike, I'm more of a threat to myself than anyone else is to me. :p

·
bald
67 Posts
California

They're right by the train tracks, cart them up and ship them out. Treat them like cattle, cattle prods and all.

Obviously there is no real easy answer, I do know for a fact the the EPA has been brought in to monitor the creek conditions. Can you say the city of Pueblo will be suing the city of Colorado Springs again for creek contamination. Wooohooo even a greater budget shortfall. I wish this winter were even colder, maybe they will leave by themselves, doubtful though.

·
Team Inflexible
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nickle said:
Jay, you identified a problem, what's your proposed solution? How do you want the city to "deal" with the "issue"? :p
Touché Nick, diplomacy must be one of your strengths. As far as a solution who here has a solution for the homeless? It will probably be a issue with society until the end of humanity.

I do not give money to the homeless directly but donate to the Salvation Army and other charities geared towards providing the "right help" to the homeless. I haven't complained to the city but this may be the next logical step. They have to be aware of the issue and there is starting to be a lot of press about it. I will say Mayor Rivera is a Pu$$.

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
Hoo boy! I love me some sweeping generalizations, intolerance, & man's inhumanity to man. Yessiree! When we get done hating on the homeless & mentally ill, maybe we can move onto folks that don't look or think like us. Gots to protect our womens, people!

·
Go ride!!!
73 Posts
DWF said:
Hoo boy! I love me some sweeping generalizations, intolerance, & man's inhumanity to man. Yessiree! When we get done hating on the homeless & mentally ill, maybe we can move onto folks that don't look or think like us. Gots to protect our womens, people!
well said!

·
Registered
86 Posts
New Plan...

DWF said:
... relocate them to DWF's backyard.

fixed again, again.

This thread is broken.

·
Almost Human
2,923 Posts
There are several different camps along the creek.

Some are perpetually homeless, some are down on their luck. I would venture to say that a majority are homeless by choice, but we never noticed them before because they were living up in the camp above the Incline, or in the old mines/tunnels around Rainbow Falls before the County took it over and started patrolling.

Many were also living up in Section 16. The County tried to move them out last year, and I know that CSU has tried repeatedly to get the homeless camps off city property around the Incline.

When news got out last Spring that the City would no longer enforce loitering laws around America the Beautiful Park, they started coming. Now it's national news and they are coming from other states, not just the camps up in the mountains.

The local homeless advocates aren't helping. They are enablers and IMHO have done this on purpose to force the city to deal with the issue of the perpetual homeless in this city. Patrick Ayers should be forced to let homeless live in his backyard and use his bathroom.

The trash is appalling and the irony of homeless living in/around America the Beautiful Park is not lost on me.

So yes, without a doubt I believe it's less safe. But like any government decision, someone will have to get hurt first. I can tell you from personal experience having been t-boned at the Midland/Greenway intersection and spending some time in the ER before they finally, 3 years later, put up stop signs...

My solution is to give them the 75 acres that the USOC owns out in Falcon for a Poor Farm. Did any of you know that Bear Creek Park used to be the County Poor Farm. They had pastures, gardens, etc... ? eventually they sent the lepers there to live.

I have no idea why the USOC owns that property, but the way I see it is that the USOC owes this city's residents about $36 million for building their new crib in downtown. It's the least they could do.

·
Registered
86 Posts
UncleTrail said:
There are several different camps along the creek.

Some are perpetually homeless, some are down on their luck. I would venture to say that a majority are homeless by choice, but we never noticed them before because they were living up in the camp above the Incline, or in the old mines/tunnels around Rainbow Falls before the County took it over and started patrolling.

Many were also living up in Section 16. The County tried to move them out last year, and I know that CSU has tried repeatedly to get the homeless camps off city property around the Incline.

When news got out last Spring that the City would no longer enforce loitering laws around America the Beautiful Park, they started coming. Now it's national news and they are coming from other states, not just the camps up in the mountains.

The local homeless advocates aren't helping. They are enablers and IMHO have done this on purpose to force the city to deal with the issue of the perpetual homeless in this city. Patrick Ayers should be forced to let homeless live in his backyard and use his bathroom.

The trash is appalling and the irony of homeless living in/around America the Beautiful Park is not lost on me.

So yes, without a doubt I believe it's less safe. But like any government decision, someone will have to get hurt first. I can tell you from personal experience having been t-boned at the Midland/Greenway intersection and spending some time in the ER before they finally, 3 years later, put up stop signs...

My solution is to give them the 75 acres that the USOC owns out in Falcon for a Poor Farm. Did any of you know that Bear Creek Park used to be the County Poor Farm. They had pastures, gardens, etc... ? eventually they sent the lepers there to live.

I have no idea why the USOC owns that property, but the way I see it is that the USOC owes this city's residents about $36 million for building their new crib in downtown. It's the least they could do.
...Oh snap!

doesn't need to be fixed.

·
hehe ...you said "member"
1,121 Posts
personally, I like the "ignore the problem and it will go away" approach ...

... honestly, easy fix - there is none. Fact is, there are homeless people for hundreds of different reasons. And that's a conservative estimate!
To suggest OR look for an easy fix is not going to get us/them anywhere closer to a solution.
Sucks??? - yes! but that's reality ...
Is this popular opinion??? not likely, but I dont live in Boulder and don't plan on funning for public office or Miss America ...
danm, I've had a bad day and need a drink:mad:

·
Registered
624 Posts
I would say your thoughts might change if you'd actually go down there and listen to some of their circumstances and reasons for being there. I'm sure you'd love for someone to bring you some firewood so you don't freeze to death if you ever ended up homeless....
I'm sure that there are some not so genuine individuals down there really milking the system, but until you actually invest yourself in a situation in our own city its pretty ruthless to just make generalizations that they are all like that.
Everyone's responsible for their own truth that they receive...

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.