Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I've built several wheelsets to date and I've barely had to touch them to true them. Most have been straightpull DT Swiss alloy wheels.

I recently started building with carbon rims and I'm noticing it is extremely difficult to tension spokes compared to alloy. It almost feels like the nipple is binding against the spoke hole walls. I've destroyed brass nipples trying to get them up to tension and have had to start again. The rims I'm using are offset rims laced to boost straight pull hubs with Sapim D-light spokes and brass nipples.

I've managed to get the wheels to a point I thought I was happy with them but on one especially I get a lot of spoke singing under heavy braking from the front.

Is there something I'm missing when tensioning carbon rims? I've followed the same procedure as I did with the successful alloy builds.

·
Thicc Member
2,245 Posts
On any rim, I ream the top of the spoke holes and grease the nipple seats. For carbon, this is just taking a phillips screwdriver and pushing it against the nipple seat and giving it a twist to push off any carbon shards in the area. It takes extra time and mess to grease the nipple seats but it's worth it.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On any rim, I ream the top of the spoke holes and grease the nipple seats. For carbon, this is just taking a phillips screwdriver and pushing it against the nipple seat and giving it a twist to push off any carbon shards in the area. It takes extra time and mess to grease the nipple seats but it's worth it.
That's not a bad idea at all. This is on the inside of the rim right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.