Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I've come across a problem :p I'm building kind of an AM/Trail/DJ SS bike, its on a mountaincycle rumble. sadly I didn't get the s/1 frame, so its kind of hard to run a SS (vertical dropouts) I was having my lbs do the work on it, but they said that the 32X16 just wasn't going to fit really well. so they said they have a surly singulator there for $50.00. I know that I can get a rennen for like $49.99 on pricepoint. for my bike, I want to do some jumping, a lot of AM/XC trail. but I just dont want my chain flopping all over the place. I think the surly is a spring loaded tensioner? and the rennen is bolt? would the surly be okay ? as in would a spring loaded tensioner even do me any good? or should I really try to find a bolt on. this is my first vertical dropout SS so bear with me :p

·
Administrator
11,880 Posts
i have used a spring loaded one "aka surly" in the push up position and a zip tie tied between it and the chainstay to ride seriously bumpy trails down here in AZ. You can get by with a few zips in your bag and still be able to change out a flat.

I haven't tried the other types because I have never really had a beef with the surly, although newer models require the use of an 18mm cone wrench to adjust tension which means you need to factor that into the price unless you happen to have one lying around.

·
Registered
96 Posts
In the "push up" position, I have seen people use a zip tie or a piece of cord or wire to hold the singulator in place. I can't comment on how well this would work for alot of jumping.

·
you go ahead
709 Posts
why buy a surly just to use a ziptie with it?

surly's are a pain. I had one and it was loud and never worked properly. Even when using zipties, sometimes when lading a small drop or bunnyhopping the ziptie would snap off.

Just go ahead and do yourself a favor and get a fixed one.
I have a DMR STS and have had no problems.

·
you go ahead
709 Posts
Lenny said:
Is the DMR STS adjustable in/ out to account for chain line?
Lenny
There is a lot of play for the pully wheel to move laterally. If that's not sufficient then you can just stick simple spacers in so that the pulley wheel move inward.

and to the poster below me.. on some bikes half links dont get the chain tension right.
Like on my bike, to use the DMR I had to get a half link or else the chain would be too loose even with the tensioner pushed all the way up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Half links don't cut it most of the time. Just use a push up tensioner (my prefernece is bolt on), they work best. If you are really worride, stick on a set of Travis Brown DISCOS on the rear wheel.

*Do a search of this forum for previous "tensioner" topics. There's heaps of info here already.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Ive got a nashbar tensioner that you can have. Just PM me your addy and ill send it to ya. Its not the best, but it will give you an idea if you like the spring loaded tensioner of not.

·
Registered
675 Posts
RustyBearings said:
There is a lot of play for the pully wheel to move laterally. If that's not sufficient then you can just stick simple spacers in so that the pulley wheel move inward.

and to the poster below me.. on some bikes half links dont get the chain tension right.
Like on my bike, to use the DMR I had to get a half link or else the chain would be too loose even with the tensioner pushed all the way up.
Thanks Rusty.
I might try one.
My Singleator, if the grease between the plastic thingie and der hanger dries out, will not return to the tensioned position.
Having a fixed tensioner seems to make a lot of sense.

And I second the opinion on the 1/2 link thing. That's exactly what I did before the Singleator. It worked fine till the chain stretched slightly, then it kept falling off the cog. Then the chain wasn't the right length no matter what combo of links I used.
Lenny

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
sorry to SPAM but you may be interested so...

I have a Rennen chain tensioner (I think they are the best for anyone doing a conversion) that I will sell and ship to you for $40. It is still in new condition and I don't use it because I just built up a Surly with a tugnut tensioner. Good luck whatever you end up going with.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Anybody have a pic of the DMR tensioner installed?
Just wondering why the bolt is there holding the top piece to the bottom piece.
And does it come with a bolt for the derailleur hanger?
Lenny

·
At Work
1,845 Posts
I have a full conversion kit I am taking off, Singulator, and Rear Cog with spacers.

$60.00 if interested. PM me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.