Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Master of None
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Paul Melvin and I set it up according to the manual, using a 9 speed hyperglide chain. It works fine but the jockey wheels are loud; a lot louder than my geared bike. The tension seems all right.

What are other people's experiences with the Melvin? I'm now looking at the On-One OtherDoofer which looks like a better setup. How loud is this one?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I much prefer a bike without a tensioner for this reason but then sometimes you have no choice. That said, the noise from my tyres dwarf any sound from the tensioner on a ride, its just when its on the repair stand and you crank it sounds pretty noisy.

·
Master of None
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I can hear it on the two track but it's not really bad. Just kinda liked the idea of a silent ride.

Also it is definately louder than my other bike with the XT rear derailleur which seemed weird. I guess the tension is higher. Maybe I will try to figure out how to rid myself of the tensioner.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a similar experience with a singleator that was too tight. My bike shop put it on originally and it was very loud on the trail compared to running without it. Problem was, without it I kept dropping chains and skipping on hard climbs. I realized that, on my stand, the tightly adjusted tensioner was also creating quite a bit of resistance to pedaling as well. A test that I use is to spin the crank backwards with and without the tensioner. I was getting aroung 2/1/2 revolutions without it and only 1 revolution with it. I set the singleator to just enough tension to snug up the chain without excessive force, and it went up to just over 2 revolutions. It was also almost silent on the trail this way.

I think that tensioners are set way tighter than necessary more often than not. As long as you aren't dropping chains or skipping, they're doing their job. You don't need noise or extra resistance to your pedaling.

I finally experimented enough with alternate gears front and rear to get a set-up that doesn't require a tensioner which is the best way to go. I was running 32-18, tried 34-19 and ended up with 32-17. I also tried a couple of different chains which actually made a difference. You should probably ride at least 4 or 5 good rides before trying to find your best gear set-up to get the initial chain stretch.

Also, if you do end up having to run a tensioner like the singleator, use it pushing the chain up. You will gain at least one extra tooth on the chain which will lessen the chance of skipping on hard climbs.

·
Master of None
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An update: I ran the OtherDoofer for a while, and it's pretty nice. It eliminated the chain slap because it is a fixed roller. The noise was better than the Melvin, but still noticable... Recently I switched out the roller wheel for a MRP grooved roller. This is by far the quietest of all, and the black looks great too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.