Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read that a chain tensioner is needed with verticle dropouts for singlespeed. Well how come the Felt Jumpshot has verticle dropouts, singlespeed and no tensioner? I have a Kona Stuff. Can't you just take links out of a chain instead of using a tensioner?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So i should still get a tensioner. probably a dmr tension seeker. trying not to get too pricey.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Felt probably tweaked the stays a little to allow for an easier to find "magic ratio"...i.e. a gear ratio that fits perfectly without the use of a tensioner, and isn't too big or small.

taking links out might work for you, but not likely. too many other variables, including:

chainstay length
front chainring
rear cog
how old/ "stretched" the chain is

half-links help some people, but, again, results aren't guaranteed. the Shadow Conspiracy chain is no more adjustable than a regular chain with a normal half-link.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
you can always screw around with it first, and see if something works.

the easiest thing to do is to buy a tensioner, though (in my opinion). and personally, i like the Rennen Rollenlager.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
this is how I used to run my vertical drop-out single speed ...

no matter what haters say... it works great.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
it's in the bb

The felt has an eccentric bottom bracket. Do some research I don't feel like trying to explain this. If you want to do it right and trouble free you need a tensioner. If it's going on a mtb freehub then it's a good idea to get a ss specific cog. A single standard cog (off your cassette) does not have a wide enough footprint on the splines of the freehub and will soon demolish your freehub by digging into the splines when you hammer it. You're better off leaving your whole cassette on then just using one of it's cogs. To do it right I highly reccomend a Rennen chain tensioner and a King SS Cog. Of course there's something to be said for ghetto tech solutions. They got me through my teenage years with acceptable bikes. PS. You might find that perfect length that works on your bike with no tensioner but chains stretch pretty quick when you only have one gear to crank.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
oh yeah, it does have an EBB...interesting. cummings, an EBB will not really be worthwhile for you because it would required removing your bb shell, and welding on a new one. labor intensive, and not really economical.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Don't do it

I forgot to mention that the popular Gusset, DMR, and Soulcraft conversion kits that are all over the net suck. They consist of a normal cog and some spacers to put it on your hub. These will demolish your freehub as I already described because they are too narrow. It amazes me that so many companies would try to get you to do it the cheezy way. A kid at school managed to cut a hole completely through his splines by hammering it on a similar setup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts