Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Fellow single speeders,

I'm a newbie to the SS scene, and I'm having trouble with my stock tension seeker. I recently orered a SURLY singulator, but I'm curious about proper installation. Is it really better to install with the chain pushing up?

Anybody got any helpful pics of a properly installed tension seeker?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm in the same boat... I got the Singulator as well and had to run it in the push-down mode. Even though it runs OK most of the time, when I go uphill and put a lot of pressure on the pedal, the chain slips. It's quite possible that I didn't install it right, though.
I'll try a half link next and see if I can run it in the push-up mode with better results. If not I'm going to order a Rennen Rollenlager.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RiderInTraining said:
I'm in the same boat... I got the Singulator as well and had to run it in the push-down mode. Even though it runs OK most of the time, when I go uphill and put a lot of pressure on the pedal, the chain slips. It's quite possible that I didn't install it right, though.
I'll try a half link next and see if I can run it in the push-up mode with better results. If not I'm going to order a Rennen Rollenlager.
I here ya on the RENNEN! A buddy just emailed me a pick of the Rollenlager, and I'm thinking that I may return the SURLY and save myself a potential headache! Afterall, can't ride if the chain won't stay on!

Thanks for the reply

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
Your chain is likely slipping because those singulators basically suck - I think you are going to find they are more trouble than then are worth. You may want to check out a Convert chain tensioner by Soulcraft. This is the best option imo. I have one and like the fact that I can take the rear wheel off w/o having to remove the chain tensioner. Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
jsnk1975 said:
Your chain is likely slipping because those singulators basically suck - I think you are going to find they are more trouble than then are worth. You may want to check out a Convert chain tensioner by Soulcraft. This is the best option imo. I have one and like the fact that I can take the rear wheel off w/o having to remove the chain tensioner. Good luck.
Plus, the Convert has a release feature which makes it a whole lot easier to take apart your powerlink.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Pauls Melvin

Anyone try a pauls melvin tensioner. I am looking to use one of these on my vintage gary fisher. I had a Surly on my chameleon an had problems with it slipping under tension. Junk as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
359 Posts
another option

I picked this up from the LBS when I could not find one in stock if any variety. They ordered it from QBP or one of the other parts catalogs that all bike shops use. It is from DMC, tensions in both directions. There is no spring, so you set the tension and tighten it down w/ the two bolts seen. It rolls on sealed bearings and some type of elastomer material against the chain (orange section). it self adjust from side to side, in a floating manner. I picked it up for $35 or so, and it took about 10 days for it to come in. Note that you have to pull the skewer out of the left side to pull the wheel, and loosen both 5mm bolts each time you want to take the wheel out. I have not dropped a chain nor skipped a tooth in several hundred miles, despite using a 8 speed chain coupled with an unassembled 8 speed cassette cog. There is a small amount of buzz noticeable when spinning easily, though nothing under load. In the front I am running a fairly worn XT 32t shift ring with NO guides at all. So it must keep the tension fairly consistant.

Attachments

·
2,093 Posts
Dmr Sts

I got one of those from price point 30 bucks. It works good.constant even tension. I used to have the singulator. this one is better and cheaper. I wouldn't recomend the spring ones now that there is even a selection of fixed/mounted position tensioners out.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Just wanted to report back... I but a different gear on and can now use the Singulator in the push-up mode. Combined with a zip-tie it works great, but looks like $^%@. To me it seems like the spring stuff isn't working.
I'll put on a Rennen Rollenlager that I just received. Works in the same way and looks much cleaner.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RiderInTraining said:
Just wanted to report back... I but a different gear on and can now use the Singulator in the push-up mode. Combined with a zip-tie it works great, but looks like $^%@. To me it seems like the spring stuff isn't working.
I'll put on a Rennen Rollenlager that I just received. Works in the same way and looks much cleaner.
I just got my new Rollenlager via snail mail today. Got a feeling that this will end my woes!

Keep Spinning!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.