Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Food for thought from one who who has led group rides and has lived to regret it.

1. There is nothing like riding along solo, getting passed by 37 people and having the mellow vibe of the woods broken up by a roving frat party.

2. The rule of multiplication. For every person on the trail add 30 minutes to the ride total. As such, it takes 24 hours to ride three miles.

3. All of the sudden that nice place you used to go for a little solitude and introspection isn’t so nice anymore because there are too many people there.

4. The dude who shows up who won’t shut up while you’re trying to ride!

5. This depends on the location, but most private land owners who might be cool with one or two folks crossing their land aren’t usually too stoked when 37 people cross their land.

6. Multiple safety breaks. There’s nothing wrong with a special moment if that’s your thing, but more often than not the distinction between a mountain bike ride and a Phish show gets blurred in these group rides.

7. Liability. You decide to present yourself as the “guide” on one of these things and, like it or not, if someone gets hurt, you could be open to a little court action. Hence the problem with opening up rides to random strangers.

8. Did anybody bring an extra tube?

9. That dirty sluht feeling when you are done leading the ride. Like you just sold out the woods and trails so you could gain a little popularity/street credibility in the mtbr.com world. Make no mistake about it – you’re getting used.

10. A loss of the spirit of adventure. There is a huge reward to scouting out a map and trying to figure stuff out on your own. Like investigating the 1860’s mining road on the USGS and finding a cool network of singletrack. You are an explorer and you’ve earned the trail. Finding trails via a group ride is like going to Elitches: do a ride, move onto the next and eat some cotton candy while you’re at it. Zero soul.

·
2,856 Posts
Pluto Pilot said:
Food for thought from one who who has led group rides and has lived to regret it.
Just so you know, I've been on a group ride that you've led and I enjoyed it immensely.

I hope at the end of that day you weren't as bummed out as you sound here :nonod:

Ed

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IGSSC I'm assuming? Which year? A big evolution we made with that ride was making sure the route was entirely legit - basically stuff you could find by buying a Latitude 40 map. I'll admit, in the early years - 1999 to be specific - we didn't adhere to this so well. We were young and stupid, but then again, it wasn't an internet ride and almost everybody there knew everybody else.

I get concerned when people offer to show their "secret trails" to mtbr.com group rides. If it's a secret trail it's probably not on the Latitude 40 map and there is probably a good reason for that.

In terms of size - it's just poor outdoor ethics to travel with more than six folks in a group. It's invasive on the land ond on other users. At NOLS they limit group size to 12 - 16 people in an expedition, and then break that down further so groups are not traveling that are larger than 4-5 people.

edemtbs said:
Just so you know, I've been on a group ride that you've led and I enjoyed it immensely.

I hope at the end of that day you weren't as bummed out as you sound here :nonod:

Ed

·
!Vamos, flaco!
1,364 Posts
Would this be a bad time to ask you to show me and my 30 best friends some trails?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
edemtbs said:
Well you bailed on the '06 version so we did our own tour :thumbsup:

Last fall was super fun with good people.

Ed
Last year WAS good! The other thing we've done recently with that ride is schedule it when two feet of snow is scheduled. Tends to weed things out a bit. I think we had seven dudes and one coconut last year.

·
2,856 Posts
Pluto Pilot said:
Last year WAS good! The other thing we've done recently with that ride is schedule it when two feet of snow is scheduled. Tends to weed things out a bit. I think we had seven dudes and one coconut last year.
Cool glad you too enjoyed it and yeah, the snow was a huge bonus both years.

I tend to agree with you on the size of group rides - smaller is better although I've been involved in some big group rides lately. Solo is stellar!

Ed

·
Registered
102 Posts
Classic! I especially like the "Anyone have an extra tube?". That happened the last group ride I was on.

I'll add one.

You decide to lead a group ride, hand out maps of the route to everyone, you don't stop at every trail junction and all the sudden someone is telling you you're an inconsiderate a$$h*le.

·
Your retarded
3,085 Posts
37 in a group ride? No wonder you're not happy about it. I'm not so sure I'd be stoked about a group ride that size either.

EDIT: SkaredShtles picked my favorite group ride size.

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
Nickle said:
37 in a group ride? No wonder you're not happy about it. I'm not so sure I'd be stoked about a group ride that size either.

EDIT: SkaredShtles picked my favorite group ride size.
I prefer group rides so large that the term armada begins to apply.

armada ver. 3.0

The more secret the trail the better...soon as I find some secret trails that is. Speaking of which, wanna show me some?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
General rule of thumb: The size of the group should be no more than the amount the shuttle vehicle can "safely" hold. :cool:

Oh wait, you guys actually climb up the hill...Well no wonder you're so cranky! :D

·
Stayin' Puft
1,241 Posts
"Dirt Peloton" comes to mind. Except in a peloton, noone waits for those who crash or flat.

I would expect any ride of 30+ people is going to end up breaking into sub-groups anyway. You can have fun crunching in a lead group, or chilling playing sweep and be the guy who does have the chain tool or extra tube. Different vibe from solo or small group riding for sure. But fun a couple times a season.

So...if there is a trail, it is not a secret. The clear strip of dirt/rock with no plant growth is a dead giveaway. A truly "secret trail" I think they are calling freeride these days... ;-)

·
Really I am that slow
3,778 Posts
aaahhhh I never share any staches

There's a core group of folks I'll share everything I know with some who are quite regular on mtbr.

And I've been shown/ inspired to look on my own by plenty on mtbr.

There's a place for the drinking/ safety check rides, the out with two buddies and you hardly stop. Or the solo take lotsa pics and just be mellow and enjoy a few miles by ones self?

As soon as I get rid of this nasty cold I'm gonna be splore'ing all over grand county.

Mainly solo but maybe a few folks may join me at some point?

Sometimes folks I think just wanna share there passion in the church of two wheels?

·
t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
4,767 Posts
SlowerThenSnot said:
There's a core group of folks I'll share everything I know with some who are quite regular on mtbr.

And I've been shown/ inspired to look on my own by plenty on mtbr.

There's a place for the drinking/ safety check rides, the out with two buddies and you hardly stop. Or the solo take lotsa pics and just be mellow and enjoy a few miles by ones self?

As soon as I get rid of this nasty cold I'm gonna be splore'ing all over grand county.

Mainly solo but maybe a few folks may join me at some point?

Sometimes folks I think just wanna share there passion in the church of two wheels?
Well spoken Dave as usual! I am looking forward to riding with you in the Boat in July Great job on the tour! You'll get it! Your young!

kevin

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.