Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
consistent default champ
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So someone is letting me borrow a trainer to help me keep my legs pumping till race day. This is my first race so I will be in the beginner group. 9 miles starting on a pretty long uphill section (from what I have heard about the earlier races at this course).
I got on the trainer the other day for a little over an hour and did some spinning, some stand up climbing, just pedaling, etc but I don't really have a plan.
I plan on trying to enjoy my first race but that doesn't mean I want to be in last place. Any tips or advice for my trainer for the next week and a half?
Thanks

·
Registered
244 Posts
Make sure you warm up enough....then pick a day and do high cadence/high heart rate. Another day do low cadence/big gears. And if you can do it, get a 2-3 hour ride in to work on your aerobics. Rest before the race, and you will place high.

·
consistent default champ
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thansk

One of the guys where my husband works gave him a training video for me to check out. It is an hour long and then I can just do my own thing after that.
I don't ride with too many people so it is really hard for me to know what my pace really is. I have only been biking a year now so I'll see where I place in this race.

·
Complete Bastard
2,282 Posts
Ah sorry, I wasn't casting aspersions. Women's beginner races are pretty different from sport, at least in my experience. The gap in ability between beginner and sport is huge. Or maybe the girls just don't like to sandbag for trophies the way guys will so girls move up before guys do.

Some things I've found helpful are - carry more speed through technical sections than you're used to (unless you just fly through them already). You can manage the techy stuff better if you're moving fast. Pedal down hills, don't coast. That small increase in speed from pedaling will help your lap times. Any time you're on flats, kick it into the big ring and hammer like mad. A lot of people seem to dawdle on those sections.

Good luck, and be sure to post a race report for us.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Embrace the rain...............

99 out of 100 racers will be nervous, aprehensive, whining or upset about wet weather and/or mud. Embrace the adverse conditions. Make them your friend. Decide that you LOVE the rain and mud. Get out and ride in the stuff (if you can do so without trashing sensitive trails). Don't waste time on the trainer. As a Beginner it's all about riding your bike and having fun. Get outside and do it, you'll be much further ahead on race day if you do.

Best of luck and enjoy the ride!

AndrewMcD

brownieinSC said:
So someone is letting me borrow a trainer to help me keep my legs pumping till race day. This is my first race so I will be in the beginner group. 9 miles starting on a pretty long uphill section (from what I have heard about the earlier races at this course).
I got on the trainer the other day for a little over an hour and did some spinning, some stand up climbing, just pedaling, etc but I don't really have a plan.
I plan on trying to enjoy my first race but that doesn't mean I want to be in last place. Any tips or advice for my trainer for the next week and a half?
Thanks

·
consistent default champ
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes this is all true

Everyone will be stuck on trainers next week, we will all be sliding in the mud next weekend (mmmm,mmmm the South's red mud) so I will do the best I can.
I am going to take the Friday before the race to rest, Saturday go check out the marked course and Sunday my race will be over before lunch.
Luckily this weekend is supposed to be relatively rain free so I can go enjoy the trails

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.