Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) has two separate projects starting Monday, July 7th that will affect the NW Timber trail and the S. Tiger Traverse trail located on Tiger Mountain. Both of these trails will be temporarily closed to the public.

NW Timber Trail - This last winter the DNR received a grant to replace five bridges on the NW timber trail and the Connector trail. They will be completing the work and all five bridges will be removed from the trail starting Monday, July 7th in preparation for bringing in the new bridges. Since access is limited on this trail, a helicopter will be used to bring in the bridge materials on site. We anticipate that the trail will re-open again with new trail bridges the week of Aug. 8th.

South Tiger Traverse - Starting July 7th; contractors will begin working on the Peacock timber sale. This will be a two year project with this year focusing on building the road for the sale and next year focusing on completing the harvest. Starting July 7th, the upper section of the S. Tiger Traverse will be closed for the rest of the summer. This trail will re-open again in late fall.

These trail closures will affect all recreational users including equestrians, mountain bikers and hikers.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Jon Kennedy
BBTC Program Director

·
Registered
24 Posts
You can take a right on the crossover road at the bottom of Preston (instead of the normal left). The cross-over road will lead you back to the Y near the top of the main tiger road.

You can also just ride back up Preston the way you came. :D It can be a fun, technical climb if you're into that sort of thing. Just be kind and yield to the people bombing down the other direction. :eek:

A third option would be to take the normal east side road down past NW Timber to the powerline trail that parallels NW Timber to the east, but I haven't done that in years and I'm not sure if it's passable. (Anyone know?)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Theus said:
You can take a right on the crossover road at the bottom of Preston (instead of the normal left). The cross-over road will lead you back to the Y near the top of the main tiger road.

You can also just ride back up Preston the way you came. :D It can be a fun, technical climb if you're into that sort of thing. Just be kind and yield to the people bombing down the other direction. :eek:

A third option would be to take the normal east side road down past NW Timber to the powerline trail that parallels NW Timber to the east, but I haven't done that in years and I'm not sure if it's passable. (Anyone know?)
Regardless if there is a directiom most people ride a particular trail,down hill direction riders are to yield to uphill riders.That is they way it has allways been.

·
Registered
253 Posts
DHRracer said:
Regardless if there is a directiom most people ride a particular trail,down hill direction riders are to yield to uphill riders.That is they way it has allways been.
Agreed. People are welcome to "bomb down" as long as you're fully in control of your bike and able to yield to the people coming uphill--or for that matter to any equestrians or hikers you might come across, who have right of way over bikes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you take a right after Preston, you're in for a serious climb (which is probably a good thing for most of you!). What will likely happen is that nowhere near as many people will be riding Tiger during this time, so downhill - uphill conflicts won't be likely if you choose to turn around and head back up the trail. I rode the powerline trail years ago, and they just cut a new entrance/connector and marked it with a "Trail Detour" sign. I went in a ways and it looks like it connects with the powerline trail, but didn't follow it down. Anyone know what's up?
It's probably not the place, but I can't help myself...the political situation that keeps new trails from being built on Tiger is nearly unendurable. What a great mountain for a Galbraith style trail system. Herding hundreds of riders a week onto the same two trails is ridiculous - particularly since it is a working forest. What better use for a clearcut than to add a mountain bike trail?
If there were other options, a single trail closure would be no big deal...

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
darkgoo said:
It's probably not the place, but I can't help myself...the political situation that keeps new trails from being built on Tiger is nearly unendurable. What a great mountain for a Galbraith style trail system. Herding hundreds of riders a week onto the same two trails is ridiculous - particularly since it is a working forest. What better use for a clearcut than to add a mountain bike trail?
If there were other options, a single trail closure would be no big deal...
Actually this is the place.

People have had to work their ass off just for the 3 trails (you missed Iverson). Before that all trail on Tiger and Cougar and Squak were open to riders.

There are currently ways to help assist the cause and it's a long drawn out process of doing the things that are succesful to keeping access open.

But i pray that the situation we've adopted isn't seen as something that is acceptable to riders. i hope that people like you speak up and look at things as they really are, and help get others on board to help push and tip the balance to at least being fair.

Yah it would be frikkin cool to have more trails open to us on Tiger and a few more trails created and built by mountain and for mountain bikers.

There are other projects currently underway, get involved and we can see good trails, or we can do nothing and let WTA build more trails like Grand Ridge.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks Skookum for the reply.

I'm a member of BBTC, IMBA, and whimps - I have no problem putting my money or muscle where my mouth is.

I've heard from several BBTC folks that "if we can demonstrate the ability to improve/maintain Preston, maybe they will let us build more trails". But BBTC does a great job on Preston - how many hours and dollars does BBTC have to throw at a trail that was once a former railroad grade to prove commitment? Add in the pressure this trail receives, and it's easy to see that BBTC is expected to achieve a goal that is always moving. What would be a better test is to allow BBTC to build a new trail to IMBA standards that could be maintained with a minimum amount of resources. I also think that appropriate metrics need to be applied to demonstrate sustainability. I'm not an expert in developing metrics, but please stick with me as I attempt to define some simple trail quality metrics...

Cost to Develop New Trail per mile: $?/mile
Man-hours to Develop New Trail per mile: MH?/mile
Maintain New Trail per mile: $?/mile/yr
Man-hours to Maintain Trail per mile: MH?/mile/yr
Number of Rides per day: #rides/day
Number of Rides per year: #rides/day * 365
Trail Quality: Not sure how to measure this, but lets keep it simple with a scale of 1 - 5, with 5 being the highest quality and 1 the lowest. Have a representative group rate the quality of the trail periodically - average the score of the group.

I'm sure that by quantifying the current cost per mile (and man-hours per mile) and quality of Preston and comparing to the cost per mile and quality of other trails that are representative of IMBA standards would show that the best use of hours and dollars would be to build new trails - not to continually put lipstick on the Preston pig.
The more trails, the lower the Number of Rides per trail, per year - if you lower this number, cost of trail quality per year will decrease as other trails will undoubtedly share the load.

How many times can you wax a 1974 Pinto trying to demonstrate that you can take care of a new car?

This is not a rant against BBTC in any way - it's a rant against my own ignorance as to why we can't build trails on Tiger when additional trail capacity (built to IMBA standards) will alleviate the problems we experience on the three trails currently available - particularly since the entire forest is subject to periodic harvesting.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
darkgoo said:
How many times can you wax a 1974 Pinto trying to demonstrate that you can take care of a new car?
Nice one, Darkgoo! :p :p You and I are in complete agreement.

First off, the BBTC has done a TON of work to make the Preston somewhat bearable in wet conditions (my sincerest "hat's off"). In a perfect world, that trail would've just got a complete reroute after the first 1/2 mile all the way down vs. just adding more gravel, water bars / drain dips and culverts. A RR grade / skidder road is the worst place (in terms of drainage) to route a trail, IMO, and I think we all know that.....not to mention totally boring to ride. I'm pretty sure I could design a trail with 10x better flow and 100x less drainage issues and have it done in one season. :D

I feel it's up to us as riders to push on the DNR, USFS, MTS and other agencies to better understand our needs. Don't just rely on the BBTC to do this for us. IMO, people like Doug Sutherland, Heather Cole, Doug Schindler, etc. should be sick of hearing from mt. bikers who want more XC trails and ANY legal FR stuff in the Seattle area.

Cheers,
EB

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Valid points.

Alot of my points are not confined specifically to Tiger Mountain.

From what i understand alot get's done in terms of land managers with the relationship you carry into it. Does griping to the DNR folk at Tiger get much traction? Hasn't so far, i wonder if they're just afraid of the maelstrom of other user groups that would pile on if they so much as hinted as giving mountain bikers something to work with.

i think alot of my comments would be to get people primed for helping at Duthie and Paradise. And to be vocal and step for Henry's Ridge and Ollalie. Ollalie to me on the state and federal level is our last chance at seeing a real quality backcountry experience in King County on the 90 corridor.

No i'm not trying to fly the BBTC flag here, what's important is i mirror and totally agree with your stance and take on Tiger. i thought it might help to gleen a little insight on why, and again i'd be hopeful that more speak up about what we want. So that our direction will inevitably wind up with something real special versus just carrying on and griping to a tree in the woods.

i'm with you i want the advocates more closely involved in the process to continously aim higher. Way higher since none of us are getting younger. But ultimately the key for me is to find out who i can help to better obtain this goal. i think it probably could go unsaid the amount of service and volunteering i've done for BBTC, but don't think i'm affiliated other than being that as well as a donater (or member). The club in this realm, is to me a tool in order to obtain these goals and i support and encourage others to support clubs and other advocates working on their own accord who support mountain bikers, definitely.

So if we can't get love at Tiger, where can me or others devote time in the meantime to make headway. My hope is that the momentum we build by doing projects responsibly and competently is we can use this to cash into better "fair" opportunities now and in the future.

And since we're on the topic Preston Peterson and the BBTC so far are involved in Reiter Pit out past Monroe. This is a DNR project that for north enders especially would be something to look at and invest into.

*and one final point, the key folk at BBTC WANTED to re-route on the Preston RR and were denied. The agreement is an old one, back when we had to settle for anything. Hopefully things can change, but my tone is let's change what and how we get involved in now and in the future. This goes into the tangent of not building backwards but forwards. And again not to say we should abandon our efforts at Tiger, we all like that place, except Bob B.

Let's make headway where wind is at our back finally and not trip over our own feet in the process.

·
I should be out riding
1,866 Posts
Skooks, I agree.

Though I don't necessarily think there's a huge need for much new singletrack on Tiger, I think DNR should be pushed to open the little used by anyone trails to bikes too. And, if they're going to have a seasonal closure, it should be on more then just the three trails open to bikes. Those hiking trails turn into mud pits in the winter too.

Actually, not all of us like Tiger. I think there's better riding, with fewer people, available closer to town. But I like that everyone else likes and keeps riding at Tiger.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
ACree said:
Skooks, I agree.

Though I don't necessarily think there's a huge need for much new singletrack on Tiger, I think DNR should be pushed to open the little used by anyone trails to bikes too. And, if they're going to have a seasonal closure, it should be on more then just the three trails open to bikes. Those hiking trails turn into mud pits in the winter too.

Actually, not all of us like Tiger. I think there's better riding, with fewer people, available closer to town. But I like that everyone else likes and keeps riding at Tiger.
Yah it would be nice to have a few more trails open, mainly to make a better loop out there. The other thought is to create new trails to connect the trails that are open to us, so that there is less forest road riding.

Maybe someday....

But i've also thought a nice light freeride trail that follows 18 down from Tiger Summit would be very nice as well.

i've thought this stuff for years, i suppose your point is probably something that could be worked toward as well as eliminating or adjusting the seasonal closure.

Lots of fronts to work on, i've personally never attended a work party at Tiger, and really don't know much except second hand information. But i do ride there at least a few times a year and rarely do i ever see it devoid of riders....

·
NW MTBER
247 Posts
Tiger

I live on Tiger. There are many times when the trails are barren of riders. Midweek, mid-day, or rainy weather, anytime not on the weekend. As many of you already know, there are I believe, over 100 miles of trail there, all thrashable...I mean ridable by horses:madmax: 99% of them closed to bikes. There are many trails that are so overgrown they don't get used at all. There are lots that would make for nice rides. I don't get it and probably never will. They don't allow new trails or bikes to ride other trails- for what reason? Erosion in some cases I believe they would say...:madman: . Then I go over there and I see they have built an entire new logging road from scratch:confused: . No erosion there...
User conflict? blah, blah, blah, I could go on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
FYI: I rode Tiger yesterday. When you get to the NW Timber Tail, you stay on the road to the power line trail. It's well marked. I saw what I think was some cougar sign on the road - not sure, but it was a little bigger than dog-sized, tapered, and full of hair. I saw three old piles, and one freshy.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Has the BBTC/anyone else ever developed a plan for what Tiger could become. From what I've seen, government employees don't have a lot of time to be visionary. I would think the best way to get more trails on Tiger is to design what it will be, taking into account all the use issues, trail design, access, maintenance, etc. Then sell it at high levels like Collonade/Duthie. Tiger should be bigger/better than Galby.

·
ride your bike
9,447 Posts
darkgoo said:
I saw what I think was some cougar sign on the road - not sure, but it was a little bigger than dog-sized, tapered, and full of hair. I saw three old piles, and one freshy.
That's nothing.

I've seen packs of cougars leave many a bewildered fraternity brother lying near-dead in the wilderness.

Mom's weekend at Wazzu is to be avoided at all costs. :skep:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was actually riding with a Cougar - I didn't realize the danger I was in. Maybe next time I won't be so lucky... what chance does a WWU alum have against a beer chugging, fur crapping, attack cat?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Good to read so many of you are dedicated to opening this sport up to more trails. Man this is hard for me. I had to stop skateboarding several years ago- just as they were building insane parks in every town in the USA! I know that as soon as I can't get my old butt up and over mountains on my Blur- every trail will open to us.

I don't get it- is it just a misconception of how much damage we do, or is it that we are a small percentage of the population so we are easily brushed off by local land managers? And yes I need to send the BBTC my $100 for the year. I send money, as my back and knees keep me from digging more than about 15 minutes at a time.............MTT:madmax:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.