Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I visited Flagstaff/Sedona from Texas this weekend, had a blast on Templeton/Baldwin. I'm pretty comfortable with technical stuff, and was surprised (not in a bad way, just surprised) how challenging some of the sections were for a trail listed as "intermediate." I could handle pretty much all of it going downhill (had to dab a couple of times on the Templeton switchbacks), but didn't stand a chance going uphill on the really rocky stairstep sections, and had to hike a bike a few times.
So I ask, just out of curiousity as a way of gauging my own skills, is Temple/Baldwin really intermediate? Are there really lots of other "expert" trails in Sedona that are a lot more technical? What elements do they have that make them much tougher? I suppose maybe you could take the tougher sections of Templeton, put them closer together, add more exposure, and that would be an expert trail?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should've seen that one coming and left Texas out of it! (I actually just moving here and grew up riding in Southern California and Utah). You're right, though...they call some trails down here intermediate that don't even have so much as a root on them.
So are there really a bunch of superhumans walking around Sedona that can ride up rock staircases like it ain't no thing?

·
No known cure
6,175 Posts
I rode Templeton/Baldwin on a full rigid singlespeed weekend before last and would rate it as intermediate. The harriest part was hiding out from lightning strikes from an afternoon thunderstorm. It was my first time riding Templeton and I imagined the switchbacks as more trecherous, but they were alot easier than those on my favorite local trail.

·
PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
4,350 Posts
Oh yes, the expert trails would be considered double black diamonds at a ski resort which is why they are more under the radar.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
What elements do they have that make them much tougher? I suppose maybe you could take the tougher sections of Templeton, put them closer together, add more exposure, and that would be an expert trail?
Templeton is a solid intermediate trail IMO as is Baldwin. There are many more difficult trails in the area, whether it be because they're chunky or exposed, or chunky and exposed. Big rolls and drops and extremely steep climbs or decents also bring the scale up a little bit. It all depends on your riding style...

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I should've seen that one coming and left Texas out of it! (I actually just moving here and grew up riding in Southern California and Utah). You're right, though...they call some trails down here intermediate that don't even have so much as a root on them.
So are there really a bunch of superhumans walking around Sedona that can ride up rock staircases like it ain't no thing?
GHORBA considers TAH and MP to be 'intermediate to advanced'. That says it all.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I visited Flagstaff/Sedona from Texas this weekend, had a blast on Templeton/Baldwin. I'm pretty comfortable with technical stuff, and was surprised (not in a bad way, just surprised) how challenging some of the sections were for a trail listed as "intermediate." I could handle pretty much all of it going downhill (had to dab a couple of times on the Templeton switchbacks), but didn't stand a chance going uphill on the really rocky stairstep sections, and had to hike a bike a few times.
So I ask, just out of curiousity as a way of gauging my own skills, is Temple/Baldwin really intermediate? Are there really lots of other "expert" trails in Sedona that are a lot more technical? What elements do they have that make them much tougher? I suppose maybe you could take the tougher sections of Templeton, put them closer together, add more exposure, and that would be an expert trail?
I would agree that Templeton and Baldwin are intermediate trails when you consider the non system trails in the Village of Old Creeps and Sedona proper. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
148 Posts
just a couple months ago me and a friend rode bell > templton > baldwin loop and back... the only part i had issues with were the templeton switchbacks -- they are not hard ( except for one corner that has a couple steps on the corner ) but i had issues with attempting the switches on the side of a pretty steep hill/cliff ...

other than that i would say it was an easy ride with a couple of intermediate areas -- on our way back we saw several groups of beginner riders -- they looked like they do not normally ride bikes ( street shoes, rented bikes , etc ) .. if they can just rent a bike and ride the trail -- it cant be too hard.

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
just a couple months ago me and a friend rode bell > templton > baldwin loop and back... the only part i had issues with were the templeton switchbacks -- they are not hard ( except for one corner that has a couple steps on the corner ) but i had issues with attempting the switches on the side of a pretty steep hill/cliff ...

other than that i would say it was an easy ride with a couple of intermediate areas -- on our way back we saw several groups of beginner riders -- they looked like they do not normally ride bikes ( street shoes, rented bikes , etc ) .. if they can just rent a bike and ride the trail -- it cant be too hard.
Z:

How did you do riding up the switchback section you refered to having a corner with a few steps? Did you clean that section from the bottom to the top, if you did I might owe you $20 if you did it twice with no dabs.

TD

·
Registered
148 Posts
Z:

How did you do riding up the switchback section you refered to having a corner with a few steps? Did you clean that section from the bottom to the top, if you did I might owe you $20 if you did it twice with no dabs.

TD
haha, no i definitely did not make it up. I rode about half of it down and walked most of it up...

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
haha, no i definitely did not make it up. I rode about half of it down and walked most of it up...
Z:

OK I don't owe you $20. Not wanting to bust your cherry, how did you do (riding both directions) on the 200 yard section directly next to the creek?

Did anyone advise you to check out the Aerie/Cockscomb Loop, that ride has NO advanced walking sections like Templeton. If you like an intermediate ride that has walking sections: Lost Watch, Touron, Mescal, Deadman's, Aerie, Cockscomb, Dawa, AZ Cypress, Anaconda Bypass, Anaconda, Girdner is probably one of the BEST intermediate loops (Lost Watch to Touron to Chuck Wagon to Mescal to Deadman's to Aerie to Cockscomb to Dawa to OK to AZ Cypress to Anaconda Bypass to Anaconda to Girdner - Mountain biking trip | EveryTrail) in Sedona.

TD

·
Registered
148 Posts
Z:

OK I don't owe you $20. Not wanting to bust your cherry, how did you do (riding both directions) on the 200 yard section directly next to the creek?

Did anyone advise you to check out the Aerie/Cockscomb Loop, that ride has NO advanced walking sections like Templeton. If you like an intermediate ride that has walking sections: Lost Watch, Touron, Mescal, Aerie, Cockscomb, Dawa, AZ Cypress, Anaconda Bypass, Anaconda, Girdner is probably one of the BEST intermediate loops in Sedona.

TD
I forgot about those parts -- ya i struggled a bit on that section also haha.. on our first run by the creek we pulled up to the creek and took a dip for about 45mins or so and then continued -- so we skipped a little bit of it. On the way back there were a lot of other bikers/hikers and did not get a good chance to try really hard -- but i dont think i could have cleaned the whole part .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.