talk about stark contrast.

Attachments

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ot

our plans got kaboshed due to the rain
so we just left town and started driving.
we saw a sign for ophir pass and
realized it went over towards telluride.
so we went.

Attachments

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
glad we did

telluride was a cool town
and location of my first lift assisted ride.
a little ridge trail to something to meadow and back along the river.
i could have done variations of that all day.
must go back to ride more.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
NICE! Thanks for the mamories. :D
I grew up just west of there. If you look to the left from this pic, you can see the place where I was on TV for the first time. I was 7 or 8 and we were in town to play the Telluride team in baseball. We stopped on the way back to watch the hang gliders and the Junction station had a dude there. Got my impression, of the festivities, which if i remember correctly, was "cool!".

Attachments

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anonymous said:
NICE! Thanks for the mamories. :D
I grew up just west of there. If you look to the left from this pic, you can see the place where I was on TV for the first time. I was 7 or 8 and we were in town to play the Telluride team in baseball. We stopped on the way back to watch the hang gliders and the Junction station had a dude there. Got my impression, of the festivities, which if i remember correctly, was "cool!".
my wife and i were wondering, what was it like going to school/growing up there? maybe a bit different now...

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I went to Nucla High. My graduating class had 37 people. It was the biggest in a decade. Five towns went to my school. Naturita, Nucla, Uravan, Bedrock (no, Fred and Wilma don't live there) and Paradox.
However I prefer Gateway. Biggest graduating class, while I was growing up, 5. I get a LOT of grief, but I bet most would change places, if they only knew. The whole towns bank accounts wouldn't add up to a million dollars, but I wouldn't change a thing. I ate at least 900#'s of buckskin and beans, between 0 and 18 years. I used to camp out a mile or so away from my house, with a .22 rifle, when I was 7. I used to ride my bike (Gambles hardwear store special ten speed) everywhere. It was the only bike available without driving at least 110 miles. If I wasn't in school, I was working. Starting with my Dads bidness. I mopped up and cleaned the heads, from about the age of 5 on. I started mnining uranium, at 15. At 17 I made $36K, (1976 dollars) and promply blew it on crap. When I finally got out, at 18, I thought I'd never go back. Now at ... Well, more than 40. I kinda want to go back. Just don't know what I'd do for a living.

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anonymous said:
I went to Nucla High. My graduating class had 37 people. It was the biggest in a decade. Five towns went to my school. Naturita, Nucla, Uravan, Bedrock (no, Fred and Wilma don't live there) and Paradox.
However I prefer Gateway. Biggest graduating class, while I was growing up, 5. I get a LOT of grief, but I bet most would change places, if they only knew. The whole towns bank accounts wouldn't add up to a million dollars, but I wouldn't change a thing. I ate at least 900#'s of buckskin and beans, between 0 and 18 years. I used to camp out a mile or so away from my house, with a .22 rifle, when I was 7. I used to ride my bike (Gambles hardwear store special ten speed) everywhere. It was the only bike available without driving at least 110 miles. If I wasn't in school, I was working. Starting with my Dads bidness. I mopped up and cleaned the heads, from about the age of 5 on. I started mnining uranium, at 15. At 17 I made $36K, (1976 dollars) and promply blew it on crap. When I finally got out, at 18, I thought I'd never go back. Now at ... Well, more than 40. I kinda want to go back. Just don't know what I'd do for a living.
a classic western upbringing. thanks for sharing.
seems like it would be radically different these days.

·
pedaller
2,400 Posts
YuriB said:
a classic western upbringing. thanks for sharing.
seems like it would be radically different these days.
I'll say...IPODs, Satellite TV, Playstations, myspace...:rolleyes:

Awesome pics Yuri - as always! :thumbsup:

(PS: you should've titled the thread "Du-uride?" ;) )

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Excellent! Reminds me of my trip there 10 days ago. We were planing our next trip back about the time we got there.

How is Ohpir Pass? Any knarlier than your pictures?

·
Registered
264 Posts
A few years back friends got married in Durango then a few of us camped up on Ophir for a few days and did rides in the surrounding area. hehehehe...when we got to that wicked hairpin turn at the peak I got out the bike and bombed down the Telluride side...man that road's some wicked scree the first mile or so :thumbsup: We found a cool meadow above the road a few hundred feet by drivning up an overgrown mining road. Most excellent camp site ever :D

One rainy day we did a nice mostly double track ride on an old narrow guage line called the "blue goose" I think. It starts right near where the ophir pass road meets the pavement and drops you just outside of town in Telluride. Then once we got to town we did a few lift rides like you were talking about. That switchback trail down to the resort was a blast :)

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Debaser said:
How is Ohpir Pass? Any knarlier than your pictures?
the telluride/ophir side is gnarlier - less room for error. course the rain and clouds didn't help matters. it was fun tho.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
The weather was rainy, but made the trails oh so nice. They are even nice now!
Great shots, Telluride has some super trails, looks like you rode Jurassic.
BTW, it was a black bear, AFAIK, brown bears refer to costal Grizzly bears in Alaska (perhaps elsewhere too). Of course there are brown black bears (and all sorts of other colors), so perhaps that is what you meant.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.