Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 61 now i realize i had a bucket list.
It feels real good doing stuff we enjoy because who knows?
Maybe in a few years or months it will be too late.
Maybe i will be dead, sick or injured.
So the last 2 weeks of march 2018 at 60, i rented a room by the trails to ride my fatbike early when the grip is good so i can enjoy climbing.
- second thing: in december 2018 i rented a room for 3 months......
- well i signed up for an extra 13 months.
It is so nice most mornings having the option to go ride or ... go for a sunset ride. :cool:
Oh by the way, a side effect other than smiling is getting real lean :D

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I, too, was confused by "BL."

I had, or still have, a bucket list and it never included anything about bikes.

I wanted to retire "early" and when I did a week after turning 62, I decided that qualified. Skiing 100 different mountains was on it. I'm up to 129 at this point. Visit 25 countries or territories - check and still going. Ski the Alps? Been there, done that a few times. I don't even remember some of the other goals so I guess they weren't very important.

Ultimately, I'd like to be retired for as long as I worked. :)

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
I thought it was a misprint for BM and I was really excited to explain how wonderful mine was this morning. After all, this IS the over 50 forum.

I think my BL started in my teens.

·
slow
7,745 Posts
I thought it was a misprint for BM and I was really excited to explain how wonderful mine was this morning. After all, this IS the over 50 forum.
LOL!

I don't know that I've got a bucket list, but I do like to check things off lists. I got to bikepack the Kokopelli trail self supported a few weeks back. Last fall my wife and I finally visited the last of the 50 US states together. We have visited every Colorado State Park.

We still hope to get to all of the National Parks in the US. We are planning to get to the 3 continents we have yet to visit: South America, Africa, and Antarctica. We would like to summit all 54 of the 14,000'+ mountains in Colorado.

·
Climbs = necessary evil
681 Posts
May first BL item is to retire at 62 and I’m 56 now. On track currently, but depends on how soon and how major of a market corrections we have. Building the rest of the BL before that one happens will be too depressing if #1 gets delayed.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Having had a health scare I reflected on a BL. I determined that I am "good". There are no items that would make me feel unfulfilled at death. That said, I have a crap ton to do as I do not want to leave loved ones with my unfinished projects. :)

·
Premium Member
10,754 Posts
Best thing about my bucket list?

Well, I don't really have a bucket list which is kinda the best part. That doesn't mean I don't plan trips, but I limit the breadth of my planning to avoid stress.

Usually I plan a trip because the seasons change and I start thinking about options, sometimes I read about a place or someone else's trip and that gets the ball rolling.

For the most part I'm working on being in the moment because I find that too much planning is stressful, plans not working out lead to increased stress, and because there's always things to do, planning gets in the way of my "flow".

Current plans: Week long road trip to the PNW to include a two day bikepacking trip from Oakridge OR to Bend OR.

Later this summer I'm thinking about bikepacking the TRT.

I might do a repeat on Mt Whitney, but only if I'm invited; honestly, once is enough, but I'd do it with a buddy or two.

I want to get back into touring, which used to be my thing, but instead of road I'll be on trails and backroads, so a couple short local trips are a start.

My mom is moving to Nevada, so once she's in place we'll have a house/animal sitter, so then I owe my wife a bunch of travels abroad, a bunch ;)

Pretty much every weekend I do an epic ride, so I get my fix regularly.

The "bucket list" items I'm most proud of: Marriage, family, kids, home, profession, sports, staying fit, and becoming a better person :)

·
Snow Dog
3,777 Posts
Best thing about my bucket list?

Well, I don't really have a bucket list which is kinda the best part. That doesn't mean I don't plan trips, but I limit the breadth of my planning to avoid stress.

Usually I plan a trip because the seasons change and I start thinking about options, sometimes I read about a place or someone else's trip and that gets the ball rolling.

For the most part I'm working on being in the moment because I find that too much planning is stressful, plans not working out lead to increased stress, and because there's always things to do, planning gets in the way of my "flow".

Current plans: Week long road trip to the PNW to include a two day bikepacking trip from Oakridge OR to Bend OR.

Later this summer I'm thinking about bikepacking the TRT.

I might do a repeat on Mt Whitney, but only if I'm invited; honestly, once is enough, but I'd do it with a buddy or two.

I want to get back into touring, which used to be my thing, but instead of road I'll be on trails and backroads, so a couple short local trips are a start.

My mom is moving to Nevada, so once she's in place we'll have a house/animal sitter, so then I owe my wife a bunch of travels abroad, a bunch ;)

Pretty much every weekend I do an epic ride, so I get my fix regularly.

The "bucket list" items I'm most proud of: Marriage, family, kids, home, profession, sports, staying fit, and becoming a better person :)
I am with you in that I don't reeally have a bucket list. Since it is so easy to add to it, and so hard to check off of it, it would stress me out too much.

Instead, I have more like big picture plans I guess:

1. start a 2nd career here soon. Getting tired of the beauracratic BS of my current career

2. downsize to either a condo or small house; buy a van to do the "van living" thing and travel. (Can't convince the wife that just the van would be the best...)

3. get a cabin in upstate Michigan for a winter escape locale...yes I want to go towards the snow and cold. and/or . retirement place

4.have my schedule, and finances be so that I determine when I want to work, and when I want to play

5. visit ancestral places: Iceland, Sweden. Already did wife's Irish heritage last summer, and need to hit Poland for her

so it looks like a bucket list, but it is more a "plan of action"

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Yeah, I forgot. Visit all 50 states. Been there, done that.

For a long time all we had open was New Mexico, Hawaii and Alaska. We did two weeks of skiing in NM a few years for that one. Got my wife's sister and her husband to move to Hawaii so every other year we go for a month (not all in their house on the Big Island) and, of course, we did the usual geriatric Alaska land tour and cruise. I followed that up by going back this winter to ski and see the start of the Ididarod. (sp?)

Getting the kids toilet trained and out of the house had to be on the list even if we didn't admit it. We got them through college, out and on their own in a reasonable amount of time and made sure we left them with no college debt. After all, its not like they asked to be born so I felt responsibility for our choice in having them.

I sure don't feel pressure by having a bucket list. I love lists.

Hell, my number one goal since HS was to retire and do what I want which is not working for anyone, including myself. Screw work!

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
When get the line above Saginaw you will find it referred to as "up north", until you hit the bridge, then you've found the U.P. der eh. :) . I have always liked the Traverse City region of the state.
I loved! TC! So beautiful, winters would tough on this anti cold, old dude. Truly a beautiful place though.

·
Snow Dog
3,777 Posts
When get the line above Saginaw you will find it referred to as "up north", until you hit the bridge, then you've found the U.P. der eh. :) . I have always liked the Traverse City region of the state.
that's right...and don't the Up Northerners refer to the southerners as downlanders or Southlanders...I can't remember what my wife's cousin calls them. She lives near Rose City

wife is from Detroit...er...Downriver actually (Trenton)

we are headed to the Sleeping Bear Dunes area this summer...can't wait

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
that's right...and don't the Up Northerners refer to the southerners as downlanders or Southlanders...I can't remember what my wife's cousin calls them. She lives near Rose City

wife is from Detroit...er...Downriver actually (Trenton)

we are headed to the Sleeping Bear Dunes area this summer...can't wait
Take the Krampus and the biggest tires you have. I went exploring on some snowmobile trails and was happy to have a fatty as I hit some patches of sugar sand.

I had forgotten where Rose City is, but I certainly passed through it as a kid on my way to Mio. (Born and raised just south of Flint)

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Mine is not a bucket list but achieving a 50 session.

What is a 50 session you ask? The story goes that on your death bed in your old age you will only remember the 50 days of your life or 50 exceptional memories. The best of times and the worst of times. The medioca stuff just fades away over time.

The goal is to have a session/activity so good that you will remember it for the rest of your life. A session that will make it too your best 50.

Oh i have had many biking 50 sessions.

One such goal i have in mind is riding mountain scree like the freerides. Where dudes blaze down impossibly steep scree slopes on mountain. I'm building a plan to achieve that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.