Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....I own one and love it, everybody who owns one swears for it as THE BEST EVER! but after only two years of production, it is a discontinue. what is the true real reason for that? no gossip, no speculation, just plain facts please......... anybody can explain?

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
The main pivot bushings were made out of baboon bone marrow.... millions of innocent baboons were slaughtered to harvest bone for these pivots, so discontinuation was the only ethical choice.

When your pivots wear out, new bushings can be fabricated out of human bone marrow. I found a good stash at the local graveyard, free too! And I made some DJ's while I was there, since I was digging anyways.

·
Registered
960 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
lokomonkey said:
....I own one and love it, everybody who owns one swears for it as THE BEST EVER! but after only two years of production, it is a discontinue. what is the true real reason for that? no gossip, no speculation, just plain facts please......... anybody can explain?
because the "everybody" that you reference really ends up being a lot less people worldwide than can typically make a product profitable.. They are just really vocal people. I think that David put a challenge to the people of this forum where he said that he would build some more if enough people placed orders. The bikes didn't get built, so..

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
I think a lot of what _dw says is true. People had grand ideas about being able to pedal the HL all day. Truth be told it's heavy and it's not a true DH bike at all but it pedals awesome. You have to be accustomed to carrying that much weight. There aren't many of those people around anymore. Not with all of the weight consciousness going on. It took me a couple of seasons of building a burly RFX and get used to that kind of weight beneath me. I'm hoping the transition into the HL will be a little smoother. Good on ya for keeping it in your stable. Lots of folks gave up on it.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
FM said:
The main pivot bushings were made out of baboon bone marrow.... millions of innocent baboons were slaughtered to harvest bone for these pivots, so discontinuation was the only ethical choice.

When your pivots wear out, new bushings can be fabricated out of human bone marrow. I found a good stash at the local graveyard, free too! And I made some DJ's while I was there, since I was digging anyways.
Bastid - you made me laugh so hard I need to wipe coffee off my screen.....

·
Seeeriously easy Livin
1,863 Posts
Basically DT said there was no way freeriders are going to shell out $2500 for a freeride frame, and the only reason the highline started to get popular was when he put them on clearance for $1500, and there his no way he can make money on a dw version at that price. There just aren't enough freeriders in the typical turner customer base of 30-40 year old trail riders. Freeriders are cheap pinkbike kids, not wealthy homers (for the majority)

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Flystagg said:
....not wealthy homers (for the majority)
More to it than money. The HL still would make a great agro trailbike. People are so hung up on getting "there" faster and with the least amount of "wasted" energy. It takes a lot to pedal that bike on the average 20 mile ride....and still try to keep up. But, everything else is, well, try one and find out;)

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Flystagg said:
Basically DT said there was no way freeriders are going to shell out $2500 for a freeride frame, and the only reason the highline started to get popular was when he put them on clearance for $1500, and there his no way he can make money on a dw version at that price. There just aren't enough freeriders in the typical turner customer base of 30-40 year old trail riders. Freeriders are cheap pinkbike kids, not wealthy homers (for the majority)
one can only assume you have never met zilla:D

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
wilks said:
one can only assume you have never met zilla:D
I got mine on clearence too! :thumbsup:
(and sold my 6 Pack + some parts to help pay for it.)

From what I see (uh, pontificate if you will) is that a lot of folks bought planet bombers, dealt with them for a season and eventually went to lighter freeride bikes they could trail ride more comfortably....they went Nomad class basically.

IMO That's what is going to make the next RFX a winner if it turns out to be burly and slack enough for bike parks and back woods yet still be a manageable all day bike.

My 6 Pack was the perfect mix IMO and I would take that out over my Spot for casual trail & XC just because I loved the ride so much but I could still FR the shizzle out of it and not fear for it's saftey.

But I'm in no hurry to give up my Highline...

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think that all of these reasons are very sound.

I am going to say like most that I love my Highline! I also bought it on sale, but simply because it was on sale when I went to purchase it. If it wasn't on sale I would have bought it at full price.

It is a very niche bike. Not niche in where it can be ridden (since I ride mine everywhere) but niche in the type of riders that are willing to pedal a 40+lbs bike around when pedaling an RFX gives up very little on the way down for most riders.

I do agree with Zilla that the new RFX will be a great bike. I bought the Highline to replace my RFX since the new RFX wasn't available and as great of a bike as it is the Highline is overkill for me. Now that I have it though, I can't imagine giving it up. I will buy an RFX as my "everyday" ride, and keep the Highline as my shuttle and resort bike

Ryan.

·
Build More = Ride More
1,442 Posts
I personally didn't buy one until they went on sale for $1600. Always wanted one but felt $2400 was too much for a FR bike frame. On the other hand, I have no problem paying that or more for the RFX since it is a bike I could use more often for smoother trails.

The snapped chain stays starting from it's release at Interbike didn't help its image at all. Sure it was eventually fixed, but I don't blame people for being wary. Didn't even the second redesign snap too? Sure way to kill ANY momentum and hype for a product. :nono: In a way I think Turner really screwed themselves on this one. Could have potentially been a big hit, when the market was ready for it.

Also, geometry wasn't what the new school kids wanted until the 2008 version. FR bikes with long top tubes are not going to sell.

New RFX is going to fill a lot of the Highline's shoes. So don't worry about it! :D

·
NOT Team Sanchez
1,973 Posts
I think that with the SS (slope style not those slimy single speeds) movement less has become more, travel that is........I know for FR'ing and jumping I prefer less travel than I would for DH applications. The HL hit a niche that not too many people frequent apparently; half DH half FR.....and if you're 150%, then half AM too
(I reference my buddies on HL's that can PEDAL).

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
wasea04 said:
...The HL hit a niche that not too many people frequent apparently; half DH half FR.....and if you're 150%, then half AM too
(I reference my buddies on HL's that can PEDAL).
IDK what AM actually means, but I do know that if you can pedal, the Higline climbs and climbs and climbs and climbs....

:D

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks to all the reply's guys all the reason are very valid (besides the Baboon theory) I was always ask by people, that would see me riding, why is a no more, and didn't know what to say.
....so basically, it is a no more because, is TOO MUCH bike, TOO MUCH travel, TOO MUCH weight, and TOO MUCH money?
that's why I was so puzzle.... when I got it, I got it with a full 8 inches of travel, as a frame, slightly used. so I change the travel to 7.1 with a pushed dhx, built it whit a Domain and swiss wheels, so that kept the weight reasonable, it had a front derailleur that broke and forced me to ride with out it. only to find out, that I dont really need one. the 7.1 make it more "all around" friendly, and the weight doesn't bother me since is a 38'ish pounder, and coming from really heavy rides I'm used to it. and the $$ I paid.....900 for the frame, in mint shape it only makes it beautiful.
I rode this in places as different as Whistler and gooseberry and loving it.
So my question to DT would be; why aren't you making more? :thumbsup:

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
If the major metropolitan areas had legitimate freeride trails/bike parks nearby then the Highline would be a success, so it's not too much of anything actually, it's not enough appropriate terrain! The focus now seems to be shifting towards smoother jump berm trails with better transitions, and downhilling has become more speed oriented. The new RFX won't replace the Highline because the HL was purpose built for hucking, a rider looking to step up their hucking game will still appreciate the HL over and RFX.

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
I think it's a lycra thing....

Bikezilla said:
IDK what AM actually means, but I do know that if you can pedal, the Higline climbs and climbs and climbs and climbs....

:D
BZ,

So what part of being able to ride that thing up hill had to do with lycra squeezing the sh!t out of your nuts??:D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.