Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been drooling over pics and threads on the transition forum for a while. I'm in the market for a trail bike, and the Covert has recently cropped up as a possibility (prodeal). I do alot of fast xc but want a bike that can take some hammering. I hear the covert is great for that. I'm right at 6', do you think a Large would be a decent fit for me?

I've got a rather long torso and feel comfy on a large Cannondale Prophet, but the tt on the covert is a little bit longer still. Also, a long torso means a relatively short inseam and I want clearance. I hope to get one with a Pike 454 or a Talas with the e-thru and an xt or x.9 kit. I'm considering the stock build kit, but the wheelset seems ridiculously heavy (particularly the rims) for a trail/AM bike. The rim is 630g! Even my rhyno lites are lighter than that. If the hubs are good though, I may just switch rims later.

I'm also considering a (maybe) Chumba XCL, Cannondale Rize or Iron Horse MkIII (poor kit for comparable price). Tire rub won't be a problem as I run a 2.1 or 2.2 in the back normally, but is the cracking an issue as it seems? Also, is the rear end flexy (like the Prophet) or is it simply not "super stiff" (like the Rize) Any input is appreciated.

edit: oh yeah, the baby blue someone told me is "girly" in person....only to be ridden by guys that wear pink shirts. Is this true? It's similar to my school's (Carolina blue) and would probably go for it if it looks good. Can't see one in person unfortunately.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have the baby blue Covert. The color has grown on me. It wasn't my first choice for color but it stands out in a sea of drab grays and blacks. Most guys on the trail like the color. The only cramming I've taken is from a couple of guys at work. (They ask why I ride my wife's bike) Once I knock the mud off I'll post pics. So far I love the bike. My last full susp bike was a Santa Cruz Heckler. The Covert seems a little more responsive but just as well balanced. My only complaint is the width of the square seat stays. I get a little heel rub every now and then. Overall it is a great bike that I am very pleased with.

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
Go for the large! That's what i did... Medium seemed "doable" but on a big bike, you don't want to run a 110mm stem! Plus, the head tube is the same length on both...

As for clearance, they all run pretty high... I can't see much difference between the small and large Covert i have at home...

Hope this helps!

(do a search on this forum, you'll see many pics of the Covert...)

·
Gear Whore
1,354 Posts
I have had my Covert for a few months now and so far LOVE it. I am 6' 4" and 250 LBS and have a large blue Covert, no tire rub with 2.35 Nevegals or 2.35 WTB Prowler XT (great tire BTW).

I have long legs and a short torso so I actually find the Large a bit small for me...I run a 410mm long Thomson post and when I am in full XC mode it's just about to the max height line...looks funny as hell...but it works. I have a 80mm Thomson stem and I find it a little long....looking to go to a 70. The bike climbs like a goat and feels super stable in the descents, I came from an 04 Dirtbag and I feel this bike corners better, but going downhill is not quite as plush (I think that has to do with the custom tuned Romic shock I had on the dirtbag...VS the little air shock that I am running on the Covert). I ride it on the same trails I did my dirtbag and so far I feel WAY faster...mainly because it just pedals so much better (and I shed almost 10 pounds between the two bikes).

Here is a bit of an outdated pic of my baby....I need to get some new ones I think....

·
Registered
457 Posts
I say go with the medium. You get some more stand over and a shorter wheelbase. I got a small when I could have gone with medium and have no issues. I do run a 90mm stem though which may be a tad long for this bike. I am going to try and 80mm one soon. I actually had one of the cracked frames, but TBC was great about it, espec. since I wasn't the original owner, and I have had no problems since. It is a great bike, and I've enjoyed it since the first ride. My only complaint may be my current build is a little porky compared to what I was used to. That may change if TBC makes the rumored redesign to the frame (hydoformed tubing).

·
Registered
457 Posts
No idea when or even if. A comment was made to me about the possibility when I was on the phone with TBC about my warranty issue. Also I at least one other person has mentioned the poss. in past threads. I think that the Syren is a clue though that TBC will be using more manipulated tubing in the future.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
pspwesty said:
Here's my Covert on the trail.

Is that a Vanilla?

I am pretty sure I'll go with a Covert but remain undecided as far as fork and wheels. It does not look like Transition is selling the 09 forks with 15 mm. axle, but at 148 pounds I'm not sure I need their AM wheels and the heavier Pike. There's also my liking my ETA or the Fox instant vs. screw height adjustment.

I checked out the 15 mm. axle on 09 Mongoose prototypes earlier this week, and I have a meeting at Trek next week so maybe I'll see it there. The Mongoose prototype had a Bomber and not a Fox. I did not yet check into 09 Marzocchi.

As far as tubes. I think moves to optimize strength and weight would interest me more than fancy bends, but I'm pushing 50 and grew up with straight tubes and they needed to say 531 and have Italian parts.

There could be problems worse than thinking about bike parts and the wait for the med. frames means I can ponder the value of the standard kits against the value of a lighter bike. I'm guessing the Pike w/AM wheel kit will be over 30 lbs, and 09 TALAS 32 with lighter wheels sub-30 pounds.

Keep those pictures and Covert stories coming.

·
Registered
72 Posts
had mine since last september. i have only gotten a few serious rides on it, but i've had plenty of time to plunk around the local skate park, etc. overall it's a lovely bike; stiff, responsive, relatively light. i've got mine built up pretty burly with a lyric coil, hope pro2's laced to 721, 2.35 nevegals, etc and my small 150lb ass is still able to flick it around in the air and such. it pedals respectively well and has never skipped a beat in rough, rooty or loose climbing sections. my qualms with it are few: i'm 5'9" on a good day, so i went with the small. should have gone for the medium because i do enjoy longer rides (the small starts to feel a bit cramped for me). i have rather large feet so i frequently nick my heals on the squared rear linkage, which isn't terrible but can get a little annoying. other than that, it's fantastic!

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.