• No, I hate this idea

Votes: 13 81.3%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Specialized Epic Evo Comp
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A longer stem is better for techy climbs; it moves your weight forward so the front wheel tracks where you point it. A shorter stem is better for descents; it shifts your weight rearward and makes the steering sharper.

We have dropper posts, so why don't we have telescoping stems that lengthen and shorten on-demand?

I'm imagining a lever on the top of the stem which actuates a mechanism inside. You flip it to gain or lose 15 or 20mm of length, and this can be done (carefully) while riding. When you're not moving the lever, it locks in place in either position.

On my Epic Evo, I'd probably want 45mm in the "short" position and 60mm in the "long" position.

Here is a prior related discussion but it's about a stationary trainer.

·
Cycologist
6,924 Posts
Or, you could just shift your weight forward and back. :p

·
Registered
387 Posts
We have dropper posts, so why don't we have telescoping stems that lengthen and shorten on-demand?
Because a dropper post is 1) not expected to contain a major axial rotation load, and 2) is okay when there is a little axial rotational play.

A single-cylinder stem would not be okay with either. You would either need dual cylinders, or a linkage that is controlled by one cylinder. This would make it about as complex as a telescoping fork or a linkage fork.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
A dropper post gets something out of the way when you need it.
If you want to shift weight distribution on your bike, move your body.
It's a thought too far. The return on the extra complexity and huge weight increase it would require is just not worth it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
If you really want a different hand position for climbing just use wrap around bar ends like were popular 20 years ago. No structural issues like you'd have with a flexy extend-o-stem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts