Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like I've read several threads in recent weeks where folks mention that they will be ordering Auriga Comps. How are they working out? I need some cheap brakes, might just default to BB7s but I'd prefer hydros.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have run two different sets of them- one set of aurigas and one set of auriga comps. I liked the lever and feel of the regular aurigas but they both performed very similar overall. They are good brakes for the money. They modulate better than the bb7's but do not have the overall power the bb7's have.

$60 for front and rear brakes complete is tough to beat.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
pretty much what koldsimer said...

$60 for the pair you can't beat... mine need a light bleeding but even so the leaver action is nice and smooth and the power is as good as my bb7 (160mm) sd7 v in rear setup with sd7 leavers... just a lot more modulation to em... but being fair that is with the 180mm disc up front on the tektros

beware the leaver bodies are on the large side and the blades i'd say are closer to 2.5 finger (very similar to the die comp's on my '95 schwinn) and if you run narrow bars and like to single finger it you might have some overlap... but this is a 23" (fairly narrow) flat bar

for refrence this is how the sd7 leavers sat (sorry poor pic but best i could find)

i'll snap a pic of the sd7 lever next to the tektro tommarow if i have a chance... big difference.

i may go back to the bb7/sd7 mullet setup on the redline and put these on my redline but that'd mostly have to do with the track end wheel removal problems more then anything...

side note... buy the $14 bleed kit so you can shorten the lines... in the end they are 1/2 the price of a bb7 setup w/ sd7 levers and full housings...

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I ordered a few sets of the Auriga Comps from Jenson to put on my family's bike. I'm impressed, they stop real well, especially with better pads. I had BB7s, but prefer Hydros. On my bikes I have a Deore LX setup with the same 180F/160R and they are similar in feel. The levers are longer on the Auriga's, but it's not really bad.

BTW, the Auriga Comps use the same pad as the Deore 525 (older style). They are readily avaialbe. Pad compound make all the difference, I bought the replacments from bikefridge on eBay. Now they grip like .... well you could guess that.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
SteveUK said:
donalson, I'm curious. Why go for a super-high-end headset (CK) and low-end brakes? I'm not flaming, but I really fail to understand the logic behind this. Was there any?
i got the bike as pictured (the one sitting next to the redline) for $500... :) CK headset, thompson post, ti bar, hand built wheels with hope XC hubs and salsa delgado X rims...

i do see your point it is a little ironic there haha... if i could afford it i'd go with some high end hydro's... i LOVE the feel of the high ends but it's hard to justify at the moment... same reason i just put a tora 318 on there instead of a fox or even a reba... money is tight around here...

these stoppers would be GREAT on some jones/titec bars... and if/when i go SS on the KM thats likely the way i'll go haha

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've been using the Tektro Auriga Comp brakes for almost a year and about 3000 miles.
No problems so far, and still on the original pads (I'll be changing the front pads when they wear - soon).
I've raced, and ridden on heavy mud, and they brake no matter what.
These are my first disc brakes, and I like them very much so far, much better compared to my previous v-brakes.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sometimes I feel I need more braking power.
I've been using these brakes for a while now, and would like to know other user's opinions.

So I would like to know... what do these brakes compare to? Shimano Deore? Shimano non-series? BB-5? Juicy 3s?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
They brake much better than the Shimano Deores I had. If you feel like your braking power is wearing our you might try sanding down the pads and cleaning the rotors with alcohol. This helps from time to time, especially if you haven't done it in a while.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.