Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of buying components for my new (to me) Surly 1x1 and am looking at my options for disc brakes.
I have run Avid Mechanicals in the past on my NRS but have seen some awesome prices for the Promax and Tektro IO versions.
Can anyone tell me whether these brake systems are worth buying or should I just suck it up and pay the extra $ for the Avids??
I am 212lb if that has any bearing and seeing as though it is an SS will not be doing any crazy downhill riding or anything.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm 240Lbs and use a 6" Promax mechanical disc on my front wheel. It's my first experience with disc brakes and it seems to work ok. They get hot really quick! I think that if I had the money I would be sticking with the Avids.

·
My bike was -TWO- Wheels!
576 Posts
The Promax brakes suck. My friend got a set of the promax for the rear of his bike, and it wont lock up the rear end. they suck bad. Just buy avids and be happy!

·
Registered
53 Posts
summitlt said:
it wont lock up the rear end. they suck bad.
OK, I might be a little new to disc brakes but I thought the point behind them was they slow you down rather than locking up the wheel....not so? :)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Phat Tire said:
OK, I might be a little new to disc brakes but I thought the point behind them was they slow you down rather than locking up the wheel....not so? :)
An ideal brake would be able to lock, but not be buttonish (for lack of a better word) meaning it is able to slow you down well without you locking it up. Most mountain bikes need this because on downhill you need to be able to slow down, but not completely stop. locked wheel=shredded trail=angry bikers

·
My bike was -TWO- Wheels!
576 Posts
What I mean is that they dont have the power to lock up the rear end. On bikes I have owned, it was possible to lock the rear end with caliper brakes. These brakes dont have the power to, so if you had them up front, youd be in for quite a ride if you needed to stop.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
There's a reason why....

Avid mechanicals are still priced that high... and that's simple demand.

Thru ~4 years the design is still miles away from competition and setting standards for power and reliabilty...

Personally, I've tried other mech discs (like Deore M515-LA) and Avids fry them hands down. I'd drop the bucks on them, time and again. And I have to import the brake pads!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts