Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Thanksgiving all. Anybody have an example or know the best way to build a teeter-totter that you can hit from either direction? I thought about having a small approach ramp that you hit first that would pull the teeter down, but it seems overly complicated and I'd bet somebody has already has a proven design. Care to share?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
this is what i came up with

Attachments

·
user-created
3,174 Posts
I know! I know!

Put a pvc pipe under the length of teeter, and stick a rack of pool balls in it. When you ride over the teeter, they'll all roll to the opposite side, and therefore keep it down.

That's friggin' stayed-up-all-night-drinking-coffee genius right there.

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
singletrack said:
Put a pvc pipe under the length of teeter, and stick a rack of pool balls in it. When you ride over the teeter, they'll all roll to the opposite side, and therefore keep it down.

That is freakin' genius but I think it would screw the guy riding behind you!

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KevinM[Freerider] said:
this is what i came up with
Thanks, that's pretty much what I was thinking but was hoping there'd be a better way.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
DWF said:
Thanks, that's pretty much what I was thinking but was hoping there'd be a better way.
get a teeter with multiples wireless remote controls

·
Registered
49 Posts
there is one on a trail called a river runs through it at whistler (not a lift trail) you can try to find a picture of that i think it involves to teeter totters, and pulleys

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
adurham said:
there is one on a trail called a river runs through it at whistler (not a lift trail) you can try to find a picture of that i think it involves to teeter totters, and pulleys
Exactly. That thing is cool. Northstar built a replica of it. It's basically a drawbridge with both sides forming a slope. Ride up one side and the two pieces get pulled together by a cable.

·
pwn3rator
3,640 Posts
singletrack said:

that is probably the most intelligent thing ever said on this forum...

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Yeah!

singletrack said:

Packed head, Ender!

Fantastic concept.

I also like the double TT idea. The ends will end up pointing down whenever there is not a bike on it.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,986 Posts
matt said:
Yeah, I know what Kidwoo and adurham are talking about. Here is a pic of the one at Northstar.
that doesn't seam cool........

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
I was thinking

What if you used one of those latches like they have sometimes in cabinets, the ones that have a spring loaded roller. You stick two on either side of the teeter totter (imagine the frame, with the sort of pyramid shape. the rollers attach on the inside just above where the teeter totter would be as it rests on the ground. secure both sides this way). Is this making any sense? They should provide just enough resistance to stop the teeter totter from swinging back, but not enough resistance to affect the way it rides.

·
Registered
377 Posts
DWF said:
Happy Thanksgiving all. Anybody have an example or know the best way to build a teeter-totter that you can hit from either direction? I thought about having a small approach ramp that you hit first that would pull the teeter down, but it seems overly complicated and I'd bet somebody has already has a proven design. Care to share?
How about two teaters side by side (like a two lane road), linked in such a way (by levers or pullies) that when one goes down, the other goes up? That way one would always be "down" at either end. You could even arange them so that swapping from one "lane" to the other at the midpoint was possible.

A really fancy way to do this would be to use a rear axle and wheels from a (rear drive) car as the fulcrums. If you lock the driveshaft, one wheel on the axle will go BACKWARDS when the other goes FORWARDS. Lock that axle and then build your two teaters with the wheels as thier fulcrums, and they will alwyas be in opposed positions!

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
WAYsimpler version.... just put two side by side. Then nail a small block of wood to the bottom of one end of each so that one is always down if you are going one way, and the other is always down going the other. :eek:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts