Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A bunch of my friends and I are trying to improve a small local trail for practice and fun, and we came up with the idea of making a teeter totter as seen in many pictures and other things. I have been looking at pictures and was wondering if anyone had a good website with a description of how to build it with maybe a schematic or list of materials. This would help me alot thanks. Also i have been riding in south mountain reservation alot lately since it is the closest best mtb near my house, i was wondering if anyone had any trail recommendations, i have been on the majority of trails on the milburn side of south orange ave, and want to explore the south orange side, so any recommendations would be great thanks again.
 

·
Birdman aka JMJ
Joined
·
1,081 Posts
Not to be a killjoy, but...

Carter227 said:
A bunch of my friends and I are trying to improve a small local trail for practice and fun, and we came up with the idea of making a teeter totter as seen in many pictures and other things. I have been looking at pictures and was wondering if anyone had a good website with a description of how to build it with maybe a schematic or list of materials. This would help me alot thanks. Also i have been riding in south mountain reservation alot lately since it is the closest best mtb near my house, i was wondering if anyone had any trail recommendations, i have been on the majority of trails on the milburn side of south orange ave, and want to explore the south orange side, so any recommendations would be great thanks again.
Is this "small local trail" open to the public? If so, you will need the permission of the land manger before modifying the trail. If it's private, ask the landowner.

IMBA might have the answers - they just started pushing "freeriding", might have some good leads there.

JMJ

PS - I thought MTBing at South Mountain was illegal?
 

·
it's just baby phat..
Joined
·
865 Posts
Do Not Build Anything In South Mountain

Carter227 said:
A bunch of my friends and I are trying to improve a small local trail for practice and fun, and we came up with the idea of making a teeter totter as seen in many pictures and other things. I have been looking at pictures and was wondering if anyone had a good website with a description of how to build it with maybe a schematic or list of materials. This would help me alot thanks. Also i have been riding in south mountain reservation alot lately since it is the closest best mtb near my house, i was wondering if anyone had any trail recommendations, i have been on the majority of trails on the milburn side of south orange ave, and want to explore the south orange side, so any recommendations would be great thanks again.
carter227, PLEASE do not build anything in the south mountain reservation. officially, south mountain is closed to mountain bikes. if you didn't plan to build there then first check with the park's commission of the place you plann to ride in to see if they will approve of your intentions as there may be a liability risk if someone falls off of your teeter totter. i should also add that there is a mountain bike advocacy group working hard to get mountain bikes back into south mountain. any kind of activity such as building ramps or even riding there may jepordize the effort. sorry.

phat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the confusion, we are not building it at the reservation, we are building it at a friends house and have the parents ok and all that. Phat if you could give me the website of this South Mountain Advocacy group that would be great, i am interested in helping that out since it is by far the easiest and best trails near me. Ever since ive been riding there, (acouple times last year, and about every other week this year, i havent had any trouble with anyone,the hikers are nice and polite, havent seen any police or anyone else to stop me) But phat if i could get some more info on the group to make riding there legal again that would be great. So Sorry for the confusion
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Hey Phat

Can you post any info on the advocacy group here on on the New Jersey forum? I'd like to know more about it. Maybe I could get some dirt under my wheels during the week then.

Oops thought I was in the General forum for a minute LOL
 

·
it's just baby phat..
Joined
·
865 Posts
there is no website

Carter227 said:
Sorry for the confusion, we are not building it at the reservation, we are building it at a friends house and have the parents ok and all that. Phat if you could give me the website of this South Mountain Advocacy group that would be great, i am interested in helping that out since it is by far the easiest and best trails near me. Ever since ive been riding there, (acouple times last year, and about every other week this year, i havent had any trouble with anyone,the hikers are nice and polite, havent seen any police or anyone else to stop me) But phat if i could get some more info on the group to make riding there legal again that would be great. So Sorry for the confusion
glad to hear that you're not planning on building in sm. the group is actually just a few local moutain bikers that have reached out to the sm parks dept. stop by livingson bike shop and talk to stu about the effort to regain access to sm for mountain bikes. stu is kept in the loop much more than i am. good luck.

phat
 

·
it's just baby phat..
Joined
·
865 Posts
i need to get back to you

AndyE said:
Can you post any info on the advocacy group here on on the New Jersey forum? I'd like to know more about it. Maybe I could get some dirt under my wheels during the week then.
hey andyE. it's good to hear from you. hope all is well. let me check with the guy that's been in contact with the park's dept for sm to make sure it's okay to give you his name. i'm not sure if this is intentionally being kept low key but i do know that he's made significant progress with his approach. by this i mean that he has , established a relationship, had significant dialogue and gotten feedback as well as a suggested approach to getting the issue to the committee that handles this sort of stuff. sorry to be so vague. i get copied on e-mails from time to time on the progress of his efforts. i'll get back to you via private message.

phat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
very interesting...

Would be great to ride legally @ SM. I wonder if there are just too many bikers in the area to officially open it up. would it get too wasted??? could mega trail maintanence action avert this???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i would definatly help out with the trail maintence, its very hard for me to travel to other mtb trails since the closest good ones are in morristown and that is a good 30 min drive and i cannot drive yet :( so i need to have parents drive or maybe some of my older friends, so im all for helping out on the trails at sm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Actually from what I understand

sasquatch2 said:
Would be great to ride legally @ SM. I wonder if there are just too many bikers in the area to officially open it up. would it get too wasted??? could mega trail maintanence action avert this???
The trails were in better shape when biking was legal. Bikers did the trail maintanence, but the hikers had pull with the county executives and the land management.

That's just what I heard
 

·
it's just baby phat..
Joined
·
865 Posts
Yep

AndyE said:
The trails were in better shape when biking was legal. Bikers did the trail maintanence, but the hikers had pull with the county executives and the land management.

That's just what I heard
That's 100% true. I used to ride there all the time when it was legal. i took my family there recently for a hike and i was shocked at all the garbage on the trails.

phat
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top