Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
A Surly Maverick
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I enjoy building bikes almost as much as riding them.

My Daughter was riding a 24" wheeled Kona Hula, but being 11yrs + old it was starting to look a little small (she`s 4' 9" tall now).

I had always promised that I would build her a bike when she was big enough so I started to research frames.

I wanted a FS frame in extra small with good standover and 26" wheels.

The search eventually lead to the Titus Motolite in XS.

That was the easy part....... getting one in the UK however !!! They are not common here , especially in this size.

Thankfully, I came across a used one in the USA on Ebay and the owner recognised me from MTBR and kindly agreed to ship to the UK for which I am truly grateful.. The frame was used and had the famous Titus `flakey` paint job.

The frame duly arrived and was stripped to component parts.
I decided to strip and polish the rear triangle and re-spray the front a `sparkly purple`.

Next issue was stickers, Titus UK was not overly helpful so I ended up with some `generic` ones off Ebay in silver. The quailty was excellent.

Parts for the build are a mixture of bits borrowed from mine and my Wife`s bikes, parts bin bits and Ebay.

Anyway, here is the `new` Puple and Silver Titus ML :)

Standover is shown measured at minimum and mid top tube positions.

Enjoy,
Dr FG:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
NOICE bike for any 11 y.o. Lucky kid! Titus is pretty popular in my area due to the abuse they shake off from all the rocks in the Texas Hill Country. They seem to be one of the better built one's for 250+ lbs crowd here. I'm sure your daughter could huck it off a train without affecting it. :thumbsup: My 6 y.o. would love the color. :thumbsup:

Yep, paint on the Motolite's was crap. A good friend had the same bad paint on his, but both his older 26 & new 29 Racer X's seem to be holding up much better.

·
Registered
540 Posts
You have me worried now. We were planning on buying a Hula next week for our 9 year old, but she's 4'9" already so now I'm thinking about going back to my original plan of a 13" frame 26" bike.

I guess we'll know once she gets on the Hula next week at the shop whether to buy it or not.

Great build, very nice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.