Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just moved on to using flatties after many many years on spd's. My problem is I'm struggling to get the technique right for coming off drops, jumps etc without fear of my feet bouncing off.

Any suggestions as to various techniques to try, would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
stinky steve said:
I've just moved on to using flatties after many many years on spd's. My problem is I'm struggling to get the technique right for coming off drops, jumps etc without fear of my feet bouncing off.

Thanks
Time is your best friend. Just keep riding and you will soon feel confident in the pedals. Riding around town and some xc rides may help too. As for drops just hit some smaller stuff and work your way up from there. You may want to try different shoes too. I have one pair that I always use for DH and FR because they feel like they stick best to the pedals. Oh yeah I almost forgot. Try bunny hopping a bunch that way you learn how to pull your bike up in the air like you should instead of relying on your clipless to do the work.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Don't flat-foot the pedals, try to keep the balls of your feet on them. Point your toes down and press back with your legs to gain some extra "stick". Also practice bunny hopping a lot until you get the feeling down. Another practice thing is to just ride along and try to pick up the back wheel using the technique I described above.

Do you actually have problems with your feet "bouncing off" or is it just a fear? Cuz I hear people say that occasionally and I have no freakin idea what they are talking about, I ride a hardtail and on the most rooty and rocky trails with my rear tire bouncing all over the damn place I have never had my feet bounce off.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
do you feel like the pedals are dropping out from under you when you drop?

if so, try pulling up on the bars and extending your feet down so you're landing more with the rear wheel first. no need to exaggerate this motion, a little is all that's really needed to keep the feet on.

As everyone has said, and I'll say it again, practice is the only way you're going to get the feel of it. Once you do, and unlearn all the bad habits you picked up riding spd's, you'll love platforms.

Do you actually have problems with your feet "bouncing off" or is it just a fear? Cuz I hear people say that occasionally and I have no freakin idea what they are talking about, I ride a hardtail and on the most rooty and rocky trails with my rear tire bouncing all over the damn place I have never had my feet bounce off.
Same here, I've ridden Northstar and D-Ville on a hardtail with platforms, tail end getting beat in every direction and had no problems keeping my feet glued, dont even get slips. It's all techniqe and practice.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
kadeater said:
Time is your best friend. Just keep riding and you will soon feel confident in the pedals. Riding around town and some xc rides may help too. As for drops just hit some smaller stuff and work your way up from there. You may want to try different shoes too. I have one pair that I always use for DH and FR because they feel like they stick best to the pedals. Oh yeah I almost forgot. Try bunny hopping a bunch that way you learn how to pull your bike up in the air like you should instead of relying on your clipless to do the work.
yep keep practicing

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
practice them on a smaller jump for little ones, then get to a bigger jump for bigger and flatter ones. try bending ur knees in the process or pushign the bike down, it helped for me.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I just switched back to flats after riding SPD's too. Point your toes down and sort of "sweep" back and up with your foot when you drop or jump. It's a small motion, but basically you're leveraging your shoe bottoms against the pedals to force them to stay in contact while picking up the back end. Pretend you have dog **** on the balls of your feet and you''re trying to wipe it off on the pedal :)

You can also try moving your feet in opposite directions too, ie your front foot pushes forward slightly, and your back foot pushes backwards slightly.

Having pins on your pedals and the right shoes helps a lot. 5.10 Impacts all the way!

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
stinky steve said:

Thanks
Your best bet for keeping your feet on the pedals without them bouncing off is using a considerable amount of your arms and legs as "suspension". Allow them to compress and don't be stiff in the legs. Let them compress and flex as you hit a drop, a big rock, or something. This will allow less activity and force on your feet, allowing them to comfortably stay on the pedal.

You may run into trouble on high-speed pot-hole bumps or what not. Just keep your feet locked in, use your suspension and legs to take the hits.

It'll take time to get used to since you're coming from SPD's, but you'll get it soon. Might want to invest in shinpads before you learn that flat pedals with spikes in them hurt. Also, the model/brand of flat you're running will vary. My Azonic A-Frames basically stick like glue to my shoes.

·
Registered
702 Posts
new to flat too

What are good shoes?I got 661 Launch I can take the cletes off of.My regular old Vans are too floopy.I got clipless on my "street" bike.I'm thinking another pair of 661 cause I know what size to order and am comfy with them.Any better shoe in this price range.
Thanx

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Stevirey said:
What are good shoes?I got 661 Launch I can take the cletes off of.My regular old Vans are too floopy.I got clipless on my "street" bike.I'm thinking another pair of 661 cause I know what size to order and am comfy with them.Any better shoe in this price range.
Thanx
your old vans would be perfect. there's no such thing as too floppy. I'd ride barefoot if the pegs didnt tear the stink off my feet.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Stevirey said:
Thanx
Dont pull the clips out the shoes will get destroyed. Get another pair & they come in sticky rubber now or http://www.fiveten.com/product.php?TYPE=shoes&CAT=Freeride

·
Registered
938 Posts
I am also new to flat pedals. I've no problem with them on doubles, but drops and rough, bumpy stuff is another story. I figured out that that just before going off a drop it's good to make 'a begining of a bunny hop' so pull up bar a little bit, point your fit downwards and push them against pedals. Otherwise, I fell pedals flying down away from my feet. Don;t know if this is a proper thing to do.
I still can't imagine going down a bumpy sections, my feet are bouncing and sliding all the time, but I've tried it only few times so maybe more practice in spring will help.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
free-rider_down-hiller said:
Not to thread jack but i have a pair of worn out(smooth bottom)K-swiss that i just started using since my old vans got ruined will i run into problems with these shoes?
not at all.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
goRz said:
I am also new to flat pedals. I've no problem with them on doubles, but drops and rough, bumpy stuff is another story. I figured out that that just before going off a drop it's good to make 'a begining of a bunny hop' so pull up bar a little bit, point your fit downwards and push them against pedals. Otherwise, I fell pedals flying down away from my feet. Don;t know if this is a proper thing to do.
I still can't imagine going down a bumpy sections, my feet are bouncing and sliding all the time, but I've tried it only few times so maybe more practice in spring will help.
if you're bouncing and sliding on your pedals, they probably dont have pegs. Get a decent set ( you can get em cheap ) $30 for a set of zu-zu's is a steal.

if you're trying to ride something like these... good luck.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Zonk0u said:
if you're bouncing and sliding on your pedals, they probably dont have pegs. Get a decent set ( you can get em cheap ) $30 for a set of zu-zu's is a steal.

if you're trying to ride something like these... good luck.
hehe riding those would be a funny idea. Fortunately, I'm only new to flat pedals not riding in general, so I knew what type to choose. The ones I've chosen are cheap, but decent 'real flat pedals'. I'm sure pedals are not the reason.

i've followed this link https://www.leelikesbikes.com/benefi...lat-pedals.html . Since I've got problems on bigger round obstalces and smaller rapid bumps, it appears from the article that my legs are too stiff, etc. so more practice is what I need...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.