Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad: Recently purchased a used GT Xizang frame. The top and bottom headset cups are still on, but do not want to come off. I've replaced several in the past, but these seam to be immune to tapping (more like hammering) from the inside or outside. Any advice would be appeciated. Hopefully since the cups are metal and the frame titanium no sort of bonding has occured.
Thanks,
Robert

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
tap harder

robriw3 said:
:mad: Recently purchased a used GT Xizang frame. The top and bottom headset cups are still on, but do not want to come off. I've replaced several in the past, but these seam to be immune to tapping (more like hammering) from the inside or outside. Any advice would be appeciated. Hopefully since the cups are metal and the frame titanium no sort of bonding has occured.
Thanks,
Robert
Use the correct tool for the job, not a long screwdriver or piece of pipe; a big hammer; and some muscle and they'll come out.
Actually, it's dissimilar metals that you have to worry most about seizing because they like to swap electrons or something. More of an issue with threads, with cups, you can pretty much always bash them out Using The Correct Tool.

·
Registered
109 Posts
might try some Liquid Wrench..........

Lubrication should help, if you can get it between the cups and head tube. When removing cups from my bike (not titanium), I used some Liquid Wrench and it seems they came out fairly easily. Yours might be a different situation, but don't see where it would hurt to try it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.