Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15,995 Posts
I've noticed on YouTube that most of the high level pro DH and enduro racers clip in. In an interview one of them was saying that his teammates convinced him to switch from flats to clipless and he's glad he tried it because it made a big difference in his performance.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Lots of great tips already. I'll often use my dropper post on crux moves. Having the confidence to know that I won't fall over sideways is really helpful. Even just an inch or two down makes a big difference.

Tires are so huge I'll mention it again. A nice soft and sticky compound makes a huge difference. Much more important than tread design in many cases.

·
This place needs an enema
15,700 Posts
XC or Enduro bike it is not even close, XC bike all the way. The slack head angles and long forks on Enduro makes that rear wheel tend to get hung up in holes and ledges. Also XC bikes are so much easier to climb on that you a lot more power in reserve for big moves.

I agree on the geo part, but the added mass of a big bike helps in tech. Keeps the bike more planted, less likely to be deflected offline.

A good example: I rode the CT from Copper to Leadville one day on my unloaded bike. It was lightly drizzling so the roots and rocks were slick. Made a lot of the techy bits but when I dabbed it was because I'd slip/spin out. Dabbed 7 or 8 times.

Was there a few weeks later, exact same bike and conditions, but this time with a bikepacking load. Maybe 20+ pounds additional all-in. Cleaned pretty much the whole climb -- maybe one dab, but I went back down and tried again and cleaned it.

·
orthonormal
4,924 Posts
Tech climbs are much easier on my Epic Evo vs. my Enduro. Not even close. It's just much easier to make small adjustments. On the Enduro, I have to line up ahead of the difficult section then power through it. It's hard to recover if something goes wrong. On the Epic, I can often make a subtle shift and get myself onto a different line.

There's an 8 lb. weight difference between the bikes but I feel like that mostly factors into things late in the ride when i'm running out of gas or on long, non-technical climbs.

I'm using flats only these days but I do occasionally dab on climbs where I think to myself that I would have made it with my Sidis and SPDs instead of 5.10s and TMACs. Overall, I like the flats for keeping me honest in my technique in other aspects of riding so i'll take the small hit.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts