Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Always in the wrong gear
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a brand of synthetic t-shirts that have longer length, but still short sleeves?

For MTB tops, it seems like I have two options:
1) a nice 'enduro' style jersey with good length sleeves, but generally cost more than $50 each.
I live in AZ, where everything is sharp. My MTB shirts end up getting pretty ratty looking due to thorn snags and other incidental reasons, so I'm not jazzed about spending a bunch of money on something that has a short life.

2) a generic synthetic/tech shirt that has sleeve cuffs that end around mid-bicep.
I have a bunch of 'workout' clothes, C9, Russell, etc and the sleeves end at like mid-bicep in normal standing, and are like 2-inches shorter than I want, because apparently "suns out, guns out". Or I size up to get longer sleeves and it looks ridiculous on me (a size LG on my 5'9"/150# frame?)
I have one or two shirts that have sleeves so short there's a gap between the sleeve cuff and my arm warmers (winter problems) when in 'standing attack' position.

I have several 3/4 sleeve shirts that are great, and a few traditional long-sleeve ones, but I live in AZ where short sleeves are a "9 months of the year" thing.

· Registered
1,420 Posts
I bought 4 of these last month. I wear a XL (these run slightly larger thann normal XL), and the short sleeve comes down to just above the elbow.

I've bought a lot of stuff from them for baseball/softball and their gear is great. It was brought up on another thread last month, so I jumped on there and ordered some.

Here's a not so great picture for sleeve length lol

· Registered
102 Posts
Was looking for the same thing, settled on buying long sleeve Hanes cool dri shirts and cutting the sleeves to taste.

To me they are the most comfortable summer jersey I've found at any price, bonus that they are dirt cheap.

3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought 4 of these last month. I wear a XL (these run slightly larger thann normal XL), and the short sleeve comes down to just above the elbow.

I've bought a lot of stuff from them for baseball/softball and their gear is great. It was brought up on another thread last month, so I jumped on there and ordered some.

Here's a not so great picture for sleeve length lol
View attachment 1941518
This is exactly what I was hoping for! Nailed it, my man.

Also, nice pic. I've ridden that feature many times! ?. I consider that area my 'home trails' and ride there probably once a week.

· Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,147 Posts
Earlier this year (spring) I bought a Hang Ten brand “sun shirt” at Costco for $12 on impulse. I wish I’d bought 10 of them. I’m tall with long arms, the sleeves end at my elbows. They’re lightweight, comfortable, cheap and perfect for mountain biking IMO.

I have no idea if Costco still offers them.
=sParty

3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got a few Specialized jerseys with the long short sleeves you're talking about. In large. Pm me.
Thanks for the offer, those might be a bit roomy- large shirts are typically too roomy on my 150# frame.

Was looking for the same thing, settled on buying long sleeve Hanes cool dri shirts and cutting the sleeves to taste.
To me they are the most comfortable summer jersey I've found at any price, bonus that they are dirt cheap.
I did this to a shirt- bought a (full) long sleeve and decided the sleeves were too short, and cut them down.
It certainly works, but my sewing skills are suspect. It looked less than professional. Still appreciate the advice.

· Registered
201 Posts
Has anyone found "tech tees" with a breast pocket? I LOVE a plain old t-shirt with a pocket, wear them for daily bike commuting, yard work, walking the dogs, find the pocket immensely useful.

You can even find cotton blend ones that are pretty good, but for mtb rides in serious heat, I'd love a synthetic shirt with a pocket. I have looked high and low, haven't found any.

Any tips appreciated! (I don't care if it's a jogging shirt, a whatever...just want a tech t-shirt with a pocket!)

· Registered
Trek Fuel EX 5
115 Posts
Have you looked at the Carhartt Force Ts? I wear the Flagger (yellow/orange) shirts during my commute to work. About $22 on Amazon and possibly at your local TSC. Order a size down, they are loose fit.

· Registered
1,868 Posts
I live in AZ, where everything is sharp. My MTB shirts end up getting pretty ratty looking due to thorn snags and other incidental reasons, so I'm not jazzed about spending a bunch of money on something that has a short life.
I'm with you... my MTB shirts take a beating! I've long since come to the point where I try not to spend more than $25 for a shirt. That means I usually wind up with some sort of knock off... like these for $27. I've got as small pile of these i cycle through. Interestingly, these in particular have been more snag proof than shirts I've paid 3 times more for. Go figure. And yes, these are actually reasonably comfortable riding in hot (100+) humid weather.

Here are longer sleeve versions... $20 and $17. I have a couple of these for "winter" riding, when it's like 60 degrees.

· Registered
407 Posts
As far as pockets, I only have one, and it's a Pacific Trail that I got at Sierra a couple years back. I'm also a fan of the cheapie Hanes Cool-Dri shirts (UPF50 is what I look for and those are that) but the last few I've bought seem to be really low quality (crooked stitching, snags or skips in the body, a cutoff tag instead of the previous tagless design, etc). And those were directly from Hanes.

· Rocks belong
5,416 Posts
No joke - for stupid hot riding - I find your used, cheap, Goodwill sourced, thin polyester pearl snap "western" shirt is amazing. A few of those from a Goodwill in Albuquerque got me through the last 3 years I spent riding in AZ and NM.

Breathes well
Snap up or down depending on heat
Cheap as all get out

Bonus - you look like a MTB cowboy from the '70s

· Registered
201 Posts
Have you looked at the Carhartt Force Ts? I wear the Flagger (yellow/orange) shirts during my commute to work. About $22 on Amazon and possibly at your local TSC. Order a size down, they are loose fit.
Woah, I have not!! That is just what I'm after. Thanks!

I like being able to wear the same shirt to commute on my bike, mow the grass, and mtb bike in the woods on a busy weekend morning:cool:

· Wanna ride bikes?
12,538 Posts
Sub'd.

I'm checking out the Hanes and Boombah options. Almost looks too good to be true for the price. I'll report back about fit and performance if I order.

· Registered
1,420 Posts
Sub'd.

I'm checking out the Hanes and Boombah options. Almost looks too good to be true for the price. I'll report back about fit and performance if I order.
Boombah is solid. Like I mentioned earlier, someone brought them up in another thread. I have bought two bags for my kids, and my sons last team bought all their uniforms from them. Solid products, and at those prices, you can thrash em without feeling bad.

· Registered
881 Posts
I have one of these and its nice. No complaints and not super delicate.

I like this option, does it go to the elbow? I wish TLD made some sleeves this length. This was the only other major-ish brand i could find in that length:

I usually just wear solid color long sleeve tech tees, but am looking for something with some kind of print style, that will be good in really hot weather, same sleeve length goal as the OP I think... (to elbow, so that I don't blazing white flesh gap my elbow pads)

· Registered
201 Posts
Phew, really bizarre to me how hard it is to find a full synthetic t shirt with a breast pocket. Yep, Carhartt does have some, wish they had other bright colors beyond yellow & blaze orange. With the ubiquity of tech shirts, seems like a few would toss a pocket on there. It's so hot where I live that even the cotton/syn blends don't cut it for summer riding/outdoor work/exercise.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.