Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a trustworthy homegrown method for removing an old cassette without the use of a chain whip? Just curious... I bought a new cassette and new lockring tool, but didn't buy the chain whip yet.

Ideas? Just go get the whip? It seems like a pretty obscure tool that I won't use too often...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Just buy a cheap whip

haro_xls said:
Does anyone have a trustworthy homegrown method for removing an old cassette without the use of a chain whip? Just curious... I bought a new cassette and new lockring tool, but didn't buy the chain whip yet.

Ideas? Just go get the whip? It seems like a pretty obscure tool that I won't use too often...
You could probably make your own chain whip out of an old length of chain. Or possibly anchor and old piece of of chain to something, but really you should ask yourself what's it's worth to you. I mean you did buy a lockring tool, so obviously you think you'll be putting on a cassette with some frequency, which means that you'll probably be taking off cassettes the same amount. Unless of course you're just upgrading wheels all the time. :p kidding.

dude. you don't need to buy a nice one. I've seen cheap ones at my lbs on sale for $6. They work. I have one.

GL,
-don

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I'm with you. You will only have to buy one and it will serve you forever. I think I paid $6 many years ago.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,209 Posts
haro_xls said:

Use a rag to hold the cassette, and then insert the cassette tool with a lever arm (like a big wrench) and then hit the lever arm with a hammer in the direction that the cassette turns. This is the only non-chainwhip technique that I've been able to use, but it can be a pain in the arse sometimes and hard on your hands.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
No Whip Needed

Wow, how tight are you cranking the lock ring? I have a chain whip but for cassettes I just hold the cassette with a rag to protect my hand and loosen the lockring with the tool and adjustable wrench. Quicker and easier.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks, interesting ideas, couldn't get the darn thing off though

Thanks for all of the ideas. I'm not sure if I was holding it right, but I was trying the rag method, and just couldn't seem to get enough leverage. Then I tried a vice grip directly on the large cog of the cassette, and couldn't get it to budge (and I was starting to bend one of my spokes).

Then, I tried the old chain method, where I held it with a glove. Still nothing.

This thing was put on very tight!

I'm just gonna get the tool now. I spent half of last evening fooling with this, and I remembered that I sliced my thumb really good last year while messing with the front derailleur by not having the right tools.

LOL :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

Doh! :D

·
Combat Wombat
1,611 Posts
If you do not need the old cassette.

haro_xls said:

Channellocks will let you get a really good grip on the cassette. Of course I would not recommend this on a cassette that I want to re-use. I am with everyone else, buy the tool, but if you have a medium set of channellocks, this can get you on the trail until you buy the correct tool.

Brian

·
Registered
301 Posts
Of the multitude of tools that I own, I don't have a chain whip. I also hold the cassette with a rag or cycling glove and use a Hypercracker to undo the lockring. When I do it back up, I don't do it very tight so it's easy to get off next time. Means it's easy for on road repairs such as spoke replacement, without having to use the Hypercraker in the frame.
Recently I came across another cyclist on a ride who had broken a couple of spokes but couldn't replace them with his cassette on.
I tried my trusty Hypercracker with glove on the cassette, but it wouldn't budge. We then held the wheel with the cassette resting on a wooden block, then used a rock on the Hypercracker to nudge the lockring loose. It worked without damage to the cassette.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts