Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to file the drops on my SS frame so I can slide the wheel closer to the seat tube. The chain stays are extremely long and I want this frame to ride like my old SS bike. The manufacturer told me to go ahead and file the drops because there is plently of room to do that and other riders have done the same.

Any suggestions to help me get this done quickly? I have a round file, but that will take some time.

Frame is steel BTW, so no worries about weakening the frame. A rider nearby has done this to his frame (same make and model) with no ill effects. Unfortunately I cannot get ahold of him to ask him what he used to complete the job.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
dremmel

assuming that you do not have access to a machine shop or even air tools for that matter, a decent dremmel tool with the correct bit will do the job fairly quickly. You really don't want to do it too quickly anyway. I recommend taking little bits at a time and measure often. test fit the wheel often also to make sure you don't remove more than you have to. The tire may rub the stays long before it contacts the seat tube for example.

One final thought. are you running disc brakes or rim brakes? make sure you dont move the wheel outside the range of brake adjustment.

my 2 cents

Ken

·
Sweep the leg!
3,803 Posts
A Rotozip works too. I used a jigsaw to do mine but that was on aluminum. Just make sure you use the right bit for the material if you use a Dremmel/Rotozip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts