Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2013 Velvet RL2 and noticed it was set at the 120mm travel setting (measuring the stanction as outlined by x fusion)
Since X Fusion doesn't have a 2013 service/tech guide/video I relied on the 2012. Not very similar!

The 2013 fork has 13mm foot nuts instead of the described 11/12mm.

The big question I have is about the air piston. The air piston doesn't have that pin style system (to change travel settings) but rather grooves with what looks like a heavy duty c-clamp but isn't.

I attempted to use snap ring plyers to see if I could open the clip enough to slide it out of the groove. No luck. (the clip is hard to see in the pictures but keeps that bumper from sliding up past the groove (currently 120)

Anybody else seen these air pistons and made adjustments?

Instead of prying off that clip what about using a 20mm RS spacer to take up the space?

IMG_7792.jpg IMG_7793.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently bought a 2014 velvet rl2 off ebay and it had a lot of stiction at the top of the travel. I opened it up to lube the air piston and was surprised to see the air piston and rod were two pieces and clip style adjuster like yours not the pin ladder set up I expected. I called X fusion and they let me know I have an OEM fork not the standard after market velvet.
So besides having a two part piston and rod set up the internals are heavier. They are made from steel vs. aluminum and the piston has two seals vs. one (that's why there's more stiction). On the damping side I was informed that it has the same mid valve tune as the higher end velvet and is still the rl2 damper but made with heavier/cheaper components.
I was a bit bummed that I didn't get what I thought I was buying but I guess that's how ebay goes sometimes. Lesson learned.
X fusion said that the performance will be on par with the after market version after the initial stiction is over come and seals are broke in. After I put new bath oil in, greased the air piston and dust seals the stiction is pretty much gone. I'll report back on performance after I get a few hundred miles in (might be a minute, broken heel at the moment :/ )

How has your experience been on this fork? How's the damping? Plushness, etc?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the post. My experience has been pretty good so far. I talked with Clarke over at Xfusion about the spacing/air rod and he confirmed that using a spacer was fine to take up the 20mm.
I am huge X-Fusion fan so this is my (its actually on my wife's custom 650b SS) 2nd Velvet. Just like her previous RL Velvet this RL2 has a tad bit of stiction as you noted. She hasn't put tons of time on the fork so it isn't broken in yet but she really likes the dampening over the RL.
The 15mm thru axle skewer is acting up (the gray bumps that are designed to hold the skewer in place are not retracting) but as always the customer service at X Fusion is top notch and looking at the situation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts