Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well gonna bite the bullet again, this time on a 5" ride. I've used the Hope Mono M4 with the utmost satsifaction but just for the sake of curosity was checking on the Formula The Ones.

Has anyone used either and can provide some detail on likes/dislikes on either after some side by side time?

How about overall weight? I know this ain't the WW subforum just figured on asking?! I'll go out on a limb and guess The One is a bit lighter overall assuming same length hose and rotor size.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
132 Posts
they changed the rotors this year , didnt that helped with the pads ??
M4 Tech - 940g w/ hardware and 183/160 floating rotors
The One 2010 - 730g w/ hardware and 180/160 standard rotors
im getting The One for my AM bike. theres no such thing as to much power as i can see it.
T

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
In terms of initial bite, the V2 would be closer to the Formulas. The M4 has much smoother modulation than the V2 but with very similar power at the end of the power curve. I'd call the M4 a much more versatile brake than the V2 or The One.

The Tech M4 is simply a better version of the Mono M4, which is already an excellent brake; probably the best all-round brake available, in my opinion. The Tech lever is without the clamp/MC flex of the Mini version and the blade is much more ergonomic. The easy adjustability of of reach and bite-point just adds more into the list of pluses.

·
Registered
132 Posts
thats small comparison for the old/new rotors :
old 160 - 107g
new 160 - 86g

old 180 -135g
new 180 - 113g

old 200mm - 173g
new 200mm - 162g

lets just hope there will be some increase in the performance as well. couse lots of people complain about those pads.

i have to say i had dilemma chosing wich one to go as well
big advantage of Hopes was easy bleeding and the OUTSTANDING LOOK, but the light weight + power of the One won :) i hope i wont be disappointed:D
T

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
I have owned 2 or more sets of both and while both rock, I just think The Ones are more radder. I have not tried the 2010 Formulas but the 09s i just put on a bike last week continue to blow me away and I just dont get the same tingly feeling from the Hope m4s. Hopes look blingier but since British food sucks balls compared to Italian food, I would give the nod to Formula

·
Registered
697 Posts
FoShizzle said:
. Hopes look blingier but since British food sucks balls compared to Italian food, I would give the nod to Formula
Hahahah - Another vote here for The One's. Modulation is orgasmic and the power never ends. Super light and the gold accents are pimmp. Hope you enjoy them!

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
I have had 2 sets of Ones and now I am on Hopes. Both have their good and bad points. But either way you go, you are getting the best brakes made IMO. I have a set of M4s and a set of V2s.

The ones are more versatile, meaning they fit a larger range of bikes from aggressive XC to DH. They modulate superbly and have lots of power. When I owned them, pads were difficult to find and were pricey, this no longer seems to be the issue. My biggest issue with them was the lever action was very inconsistent, especially on longer, steeper hills. The lever would pull normally on one stroke, and the very next would come to the bar. This occured even after Chris at Formula replaced the seals and bled the brakes for me. The inconsistency drove me nuts. It is my understanding that it was a lever issue, and one of the reasons the new lever was developed, so this may now be a non-issue.

The Hopes on the other hand are heavier, and more purpose built. The M4s are the classic AM brake with lots of modulation, and power that is similar to the ones, just later in the lever stroke. They are a work of art. built like tanks, and based on my reading, they will last for many years. No special kits are required for bleeding, and bleeding is flawless. I find the floating rotors to be more durable, easier to true, and make a cool as hell ping when they are hot (so you know they are doing their job). The lever action is ALWAYS consistent, hot or not. The lever action is just fantastic and the BPC really works with a great range.

The V2s are in another league alltogether. They blow the ones away in power, have beautiful modulation with sintered pads, and are not phased by anything. They are heavy though, but in their intended application who cares?

My only real issue right now is with my V2s, they are noisy regardless of the pads I run. The Formulas are dead silent. I will work with Hope to try to isolate the issue now that I have done the basic troubleshooting.

I have also had a chance to play with the Elixirs and they are solid. My only real issue is the CPS mounting system. It is very inconsistent, causes strange issues, and the pieces actually wear causing other issues. The lever action is very solid and the power is crazy.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Anybody compared the new master cylinder on the Ones to the older version? I wonder if the new master cyclinder addresses the issues tiSS'er (and myself) had with the Ones. I was able to get mine to feel pretty decent with a bit of fiddling.

There have been some pretty compelling deals on M4's on Flee-Bay which has tempted me to try them for sh!ts and giggles....

·
Curmudgeon
210 Posts
bigdrunk said:
... I was able to get mine to feel pretty decent with a bit of fiddling.

There have been some pretty compelling deals on M4's on Flee-Bay which has tempted me to try them for sh!ts and giggles....
That particular ePay item got my attention too. I'm tired of messing with my Ones. They always perform on the long descents but make all sorts of noise on the climbs. I can't keep them dialed-in for more than a handful of rides. They eat pads, all types of pads. They're a chore to bleed and require removal from the bike to do it right. Hey, they're Italian.

I'm close to grabbing a set of Tech M4 brakes but with a solid rotor. A one-piece rotor will lower the cost a little too. Got an '09 Fox 36 fork with post mounts and a Hadley hub. I don't want to file material off my fork leg to clear the rotor parts. Another idea to is to remove a bit of material from the rotor mounting face on my hub. This will allow for the floating rotor to clear. If I screw it up, it ain't too expensive to replace a hub shell.

Cheers,
-S

·
Registered
456 Posts
Ti'SSer glad you mentioned the Elixirs. That was a third option I was looking at.

Now I am able to get the Hope setup M4 and X2 rear for $400. On the other hand the Elixir CR's can be had for 300 shipped with carbon levers.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.