Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode a 06 Sport last weekend in the parking lot of Performance. Wow, finally a bike that does what it claims to do! I couldn't get it to bob under peadling, even sprints. Rear end is really stiff, much better than the Four Bar link I am replacing. And the shock action seems to be nice and plush, my old bike was a pogo stick when I set it up that soft. Of course the real test is on the trail, but already I can tell what a difference this design makes. My old ride a Psycle Werks Wild Hare, looks just like a Jamis Dakar; it had significant side flex on berms, brake jacked like a hoopty car, and even with a Swinger 3-Way shock still would bob and bob and bob. After my last brutal race, I decided this wasn't going to cut it.

Anybody have any experience between the MK III and 6Point? I think the MK III is more my style: Aggro XC no big jumps or tricks, more of a "flow" style think running water down the trail. Was just curious of what your guys opinion are between the two, especially since they are so close in Spec.

Thanks

·
mtbr member
1,135 Posts
I have spent time on BOTH bikes. You can't go wrong with either one. YOU REALLY CAN'T! The one main difference (I) noticed between the two is steering. If you can do a side by side test, you will notice the MKIII is quicker and more nimble feeling. The 6 point (while still very responsive) has a more STABLE type feel. When things get steep, the 6 point inspires more confidence- in my opinion.

With that said, I own an MKIII Team that is built more towards the FR side of things (i.e. coil fork and shorty stem). One day I am riding with weight weenies, next day the freeride crew. The bike takes me anywhere I want to go.

I am confident if you "parking lot" test EACH bike for 20 minutes- one of them will choose you! Last thing, purchase the bike that best suits YOUR needs, not that of your ego! Keep us posted.

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
Both bikes are dope.
I had the option to get either bike this year and I stayed with the MK3. (my third one by the way) I just love the MK3 in every way. I liked the 6 point very much but felt it was a little too slack for my liking, as I want one bike to do it all. For me it is the MK3 all day!

·
SNOW BABY!!!
50 Posts
Riding for Sanity said:
Rode a 06 Sport last weekend in the parking lot of Performance. Wow, finally a bike that does what it claims to do! I couldn't get it to bob under peadling, even sprints. Rear end is really stiff, much better than the Four Bar link I am replacing. And the shock action seems to be nice and plush, my old bike was a pogo stick when I set it up that soft. Of course the real test is on the trail, but already I can tell what a difference this design makes. My old ride a Psycle Werks Wild Hare, looks just like a Jamis Dakar; it had significant side flex on berms, brake jacked like a hoopty car, and even with a Swinger 3-Way shock still would bob and bob and bob. After my last brutal race, I decided this wasn't going to cut it.

Anybody have any experience between the MK III and 6Point? I think the MK III is more my style: Aggro XC no big jumps or tricks, more of a "flow" style think running water down the trail. Was just curious of what your guys opinion are between the two, especially since they are so close in Spec.

Thanks
You mean it doesn't bob at all if you do heavy pedaling while sitting, standing, or both?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re

I'll be doing the occasional XC race on this bike, for the rough courses. And so I think I'll stick with the MK III. Great input from you guys about both models. I do like something with "flickable" geometry, I tend to inspire my own confidence going downhill, I don't need the bike to do that for me. I get confidence mixed up with cockyness all the time, I do love to crash though! I guess I'm just a little sick in the head! See you out there, I think I'll get some serious riding in, once I get my own MK III.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re

Today I am the proud owner of a used 06 MK III Comp. Only paid $800! Kind of a weird parts mix Reba Race fork, Rock Shox Ario, Hayes Nine, SRAM X 9. Only problem, its a 19" but standover is fine though the front end is kinda long. I ordered up short stem and a flat tracker bar. I rode two of the local trails today, this is a rocket! I'm always in a bigger front gear than I was used to on my old FS.

It does tend to ghost shift when things get rough, any thoughts?

I don't think I got the Fork setup properly, it was kind of stiff, any suggestions?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.