Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago I picked up a '97 Zaskar frame for cheap. Its been well used but in good overall shape with a few scratches and such from normal use. I decided to build it up with some parts I've had laying around collecting dust.

The Frame:
1997 GT Zaskar

In the stand, ready to build:

Headset install:

The Reba fork was a little long at 115mm of travel, maybe even so at 100mm. I decided to make a custom spacer and reduce the travel to 90mm to get an axle to crown length close to that of the old Judy that would have come stock on the bike.
The Reba:

Lowers off:

Internals without a lowering spacer (115mm)

Internals with custom spacer (90mm)

Fork on the bike:

Now for the wheels:

Uh oh! No disc tabs!!!!

Solution - the A2Z disc adapter, found it on eBay for $20!

The A2Z mounted:

My camera died so there are no more build shots.
Took some pics of the complete project though the next day:

Complete specs -

-1997 Zaskar frame
-'06 Rock Shox Reba SL 90mm travel
-Hayes HFX-9 brakes w/ 180mm rotors (I am a big guy after all) and red ano Dangerboy levers Goodridge steel braided lines
-Sram X9 derailleur
-Sram X4 shifters 8spd
-Shimano HG 8 Speed cassette
-Shimano Deore Front derailleur
-Race Face Evolve XC cranks, Deus stem
-Bontrager Select wheelset, handlebar
-FSA Orbit headset
-Specialized Fast Trak 2.2" tires
-Ergon grips

This seems to be the perfect XC "racer" type bike to compliment my more "AM" Avalanche which will also be getting a rework for spring.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Nice job Ratch! It's posts like this one that makes me wanna keep my Karakoram frame for a later build. I just decomissioned it as my SS and is now hanging in my garage ready to go on ebay but you may have just convinced me to keep it a little longer. Sweet looking Zaskar bro.

·
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gt jorgito said:
Nice job Ratch! It's posts like this one that makes me wanna keep my Karakoram frame for a later build. I just decomissioned it as my SS and is now hanging in my garage ready to go on ebay but you may have just convinced me to keep it a little longer. Sweet looking Zaskar bro.
Thanks!

I know how you feel, I've got an old Talera frame as well as a '99 XCR1000 frame both waiting for a rainy day to be built into one project or another.
I've also thought of SS'ing my Tequesta but I've held back since its almost all stock and near mint shape.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Nice, like the old stable serving what it's supposed to be doing - be ridden.

I would use some type of protective film on the frame where you use zip ties so it won't scratch that section up moving up and down.

·
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

I used a tool I've got a work to cinch down those zip ties nice and tight, they sure aren't moving. Might put some protective patches where the brake lines move though.

·
el-santito
36 Posts
Nice bike. I'm also in the process of building the same type of Zaskar frame. Will post pictures later on. I was very lucky to acquire a New, never built "red frost" 18" frame. I just couldn't decide, wether to build it "retro" or with "what ever deals" I could get. Perseverance+luck paid off.. yeah right! only in a perfect world -Lol!.

first post!

·
Registered
367 Posts
That looks great Ratch. It's good to see a Zaskar built up to be ridden and the disc brakes just look righton it. Of course my heart skipped a beat when I saw it because I have the same frame built still almost stock from when I first got it in '97. A quick look around the corner relaxed me when i saw the bike still sitting there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
got mine out yesterday too.

your build gave me some inspiration to build up my old '97 zaskar. great bike just needed to be able to stop it and a good fork. how is the rear disc adapter working?

Attachments

·
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tripwr1964 said:
your build gave me some inspiration to build up my old '97 zaskar. great bike just needed to be able to stop it and a good fork. how is the rear disc adapter working?
The A2Z adapter has been working great, works and looks good. My only complaint is that it takes a few seconds longer to remove the rear wheel because you have to take the skewer out, but the positives far outweigh the negatives IMO.

Nice Zaskar btw, love the old ball burnished look.

·
Registered
242 Posts
RatchAttack said:
The A2Z adapter has been working great, works and looks good. My only complaint is that it takes a few seconds longer to remove the rear wheel because you have to take the skewer out, but the positives far outweigh the negatives IMO.

Nice Zaskar btw, love the old ball burnished look.
You can always dremel your own dropout on the top silver plate. Worth it if you happen to take your rear wheel off often.

·
el-santito
36 Posts
My '97 Zaskar project

Finally after 5 months it's ready to go, and just my luck I will have to wait! It's raining in "sunny California"

Attachments

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
This is an awesome thread. I love my Zaskar. Mine is a 2001 though, so not sure if it belongs with all these classic ones.

·
el-santito
36 Posts
Thanks Ratch.

Those wheels were borrowed from it's cousin an 06 Ruckus 2.0. I bought some Magura Ventis w/ the red center fan to be mounted on some Mavic 823's I had bought 3 years ago for the Ruckus.

Now, I just can't decide on the saddle... When and if the sun comes out i'll try the one pictured, a Selle Italia Flight, and a Fizik! I have used WTB's most of the time, and want to try out something new. (be on the look out for the big sale of extra parts! -Lol!)

Next Project: '93 Zaskar I picked up around the same time as the red one. I just decided to build this one, since it needed only to be built up, with no cleaning/polishing/ & all that good stuff.

Carry-on...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey guy's great looking GT's. Quick question about those disk break adapters. Will they fit any bike? I have a old steel GF HooKoo that am updating and would love to put disk breaks on it. Thanks

·
el-santito
36 Posts
Does you bike look like the one in the attached pictures?

Go to:
http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/43000189/Images/6/A2Z DM-UNI106.jpg

The picture file wouldn't upload?

According to A2Z their adaptor fits many bikes. maybe the link above will help you determine if it works for you.

There is another adaptor available that has a long arm which attaches to the canti-brake boss seats. But in my opinion... that contraption looks UGLY!!!!!

anyone else has any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
^^
Kinda, It's the same frame just a year older w/ different paint. Looked like this up until 2 weeks ago. It has since been stripped and is at the powder coaters getting a new coat.

I also have some new goodies to add on to her

·
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
kitts21j said:
Hey guy's great looking GT's. Quick question about those disk break adapters. Will they fit any bike? I have a old steel GF HooKoo that am updating and would love to put disk breaks on it. Thanks
As long as your dropouts are flat it should work. If you had Breezer style dropouts it would be a problem.

The A2Z bolted right on the Zaskar like it was made for it, I've heard that some frames require the adapter to be modified (i.e. dremel tool) to fit.

·
el-santito
36 Posts
RatchAttack said:
As long as your dropouts are flat it should work. If you had Breezer style dropouts it would be a problem.

The A2Z bolted right on the Zaskar like it was made for it, I've heard that some frames require the adapter to be modified (i.e. dremel tool) to fit.

True what Ratch says on the "flat dropouts" and Zaskar fit...

This is the UGLY adaptor I was talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-MTB-Rear-Disc-Brake-Convert-Kit-170mm-Silver-/370450252435

they have it on eBay (feebay!)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts