Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Watching it...
They are real impressive riders and very inspiring. Watching them, it looks so easy to accelerate up a giant hill.

McEwen has been riding well, and Evans is just cranking it up. Hopefully they can survive the mountain stage, which I enjoy the most. Those descents are very scary.

Valverde has to be a favourite to win.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
Religiously watching it. For when I cant keep the eyes open I have my Powermac and eye TV sheduled to record all the broadcasts on SBS.

Lasts nights stage was a ripper - the end was awful for poor old Matthias Kessler who looked like he had it till the peloton (or should I say the sprinters) gobbled him up. Great to see McEwen take the stage - want to see him do it again and keep the Green. As much as I love Tommy Boonen I think it would be nicer to see Robbie in Green in Paris.

·
KAIZEN!
99 Posts
We are watching it in the Great White North too, eh?!

I love Le Tour! The sprints at the end are crazy! And the suffering on the faces of the riders during the climbs... ouch!

It is too bad the suspicion of drugs taints those athletes who are indeed clean. At the very elite level, the competitive fire to gain even the slightest edge convinces some to go down that road, no matter the sport. There is so much money / fame etc. at stake for the high profile athletes in their respective sports these days, that I guess it merely reflects human nature.

Nice to see Aussie Cadel Evans, a former mtb'er doing so well on the road! Also good to see Kessler hang on today.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
Hockeygod said:
Nice to see Aussie Cadel Evans, a former mtb'er doing so well on the road! Also good to see Kessler hang on today.
It was indeed great to see Kessler take the stage. Just as good was to see Rogers cross the line for second!

Yeah Cadel is placed at a good spot so early on in the race. He should relish come the Mountains.

·
Singletracker
410 Posts
Yep been watching it from the start. Watch an hour or so, then tape the rest and watch it the next day, then just get the highlights at 6pm ready for the next stage 4.5 hours later! Its going to be a part of me for 3 weeks, a bug i can't get ride of! ( i could turn nocturnal).

:D

·
Registered
301 Posts
Likewise, I've just got a PVR (set top box with hard-drive), so it's easy to record the telecast. I'd love to watch the whole thing - the scenery is stunning and some of the things that happen in the peleton are not shown on the half hour highlights.

So pattern has been to watch live till about 11pm, get up a bit earlier and fast forward through to the finish. Then watch the highlights that night. Hope to watch a few of the stages complete, especially in the mountain stages.

Shame about Valverde, and all the other favourites that aren't there, but go Cadel!

·
Singletracker
410 Posts
Well i 'tried' to stay up and watch the whole stage last night, got nicley set up in bed with the portable TV. Watched untill 11.45, fell asleep, woke up at 12.45 and watched the end. Next morning heard about all the crashes, so i still watched my back up tape! Luckly i had the day off!

I absoultey agree with you slaw about the scenery, it is really fantastic! That is one of the highlights of watching the race. I also LOVE the mountain stages (these are by far my favourite).

I think the game will start to seriously change around in the next 5 or so stages. I hope to see breakaway's that dont get caught and sprints to the finish from those breakaway's. We saw em last year in the mountain stages, we see huge gaps in time as riders get tired through the stages.

I though it wouldn't be as exciting without Lance + Ulreich + Basso, as they were huge highlights last year, but now we are seeing the potential of other riders who may not have got a bigger mention, but now they have the chance to show. But, so far it's still as exciting and i can't wait for the Mountains!

:thumbsup:

·
KAIZEN!
99 Posts
Edmonton?

Hey All Mountain, don't mean to hijack this thread, but how did you end up overseas if you started out in Edmonton? Are you a canuck? it would be interesting to hear more. My wife and I took 6 weeks and visited NZ (3 weeks) and Oz (2 weeks) and Cook Islands (great diving!) two years ago this fall. Rode MTB in Rotorura and tramped all about on the North island as we have a mate in Gizzy. Went over to Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane for two weeks. Did the usual touristy stuff.

And BigDamo, I KNOW there is a story there about this girl you knew from Edmonton... you might have to PM it to myself and All mountain! You can't start a story and then shy away! It's against the rules! :winker:

I love the "stories"... living my life vicariously!

... Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...

I wish I had a PVR to record Le Tour so I could watch it in it's entirety! it starts daily at 630 AM until 930 AM over here in Calgary in Mountain Standard Time... the prime time coverage in the late afternoon (5 PM?) and then again at 8 PM have Bob Roll and Al Trautwig doing most of the commentary (it's on OLN on my Bell Satellite) but for the live show, OLN uses Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwin.

WHY do they use the Yanks for the re-runs? I much prefer the overall insights of Phil and Paul as former racers (even though Bob is too - not sure of Al) PLUS you gotta have an english accent commentating on cycling! It is much more 'pure' and melodious to the ears!! :D

·
Singletracker
410 Posts
Another stunning win for Robbie McEwen! (just watched it then on tape)

Stage 6 has well and truly underway as we speak, 2hours untill the coverage begins. I'll think i'll tape tonights aswell..i'm yawning as i type!

:)

·
spinner
186 Posts
blue_neon said:
I absoultey agree with you slaw about the scenery, it is really fantastic! That is one of the highlights of watching the race. I also LOVE the mountain stages (these are by far my favourite).
Another scenery fan here ! I will definately have to do a riding holiday in France one of these days (MTB of course) On the mountain stages , I like to play spot the singletrack on the chopper cam shots. There's quite a bit out there !!

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Off Topic

bigdamo said:
All mountain you tells us your story and i'll tell mine of the girl from Edmonton.When are the Canuck's going to get the Stanely Cup back?Opps going slightly off tread sorry
The Canuck's will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. Edmonton Oiler's on the other hand....
and to the Calgarian on this thread.... well you already know how I would feel about the Flames.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
All Mountain said:
Evans has himself well situated for the upcoming mountain stages.
Is Rogers any good in the mountains?

Congrats to the Italians!
Yeah Rogers will do well. I can't imagine he'll dominate but he certainly has the strength to compete with 'em. I'll always remember the 2003 Tour - he did a lot of learning in the Mountains.

I suspect the mountains will be highly unpredictable. I am sort of hoping for a race where it will come down to the last day or two to know whos going to win!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.