Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Tour came within 10 miles of my front door yesterday, so I took the day off work to watch the riders climb the Col de La Faucille, the cat. 2 major climb of the stage. The original plan was to ride up, but a brief and heavy rainstorm quickly killed that idea. Anyway, we got a pretty good view of the peloton, as these pix attest:

The leading bunch rolls by 8 minutes ahead of the pack. Mercado, the eventual stage winner, is second in line.

The US Postal guys lead the peloton.Ullrich is shadowing their moves on the right of the picture.

Close-up of Armstrong as he climbs past. It's clear from the complete sequence of photos that he and Axel Merckx (to his right) were chatting about the route as they rode up this section.

As the peloton rides by, Frederic Finot asks for assistance.

It was obvious watching that the strongest support (in numbers) were Americans.

The rain had cleared up before the race came by, and was dry enough by the time I got home to go out for a ride up the Jura. I might have to post a ride report which produced this panorama of Lake Geneva (and yes, we ended up wet).

Attachments

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
My slippers would have gotten soggy.

I saw somthing similar before dawn on my TV, drinking coffee, in my pj's and robe. I didn't get wet at all. I can only imaging how cool it must have been to be there.
Nice images. Nicely done.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Spectators

I read an article in the paper that said that spectators are one of the bigger dangers to the riders on the tour. Lance said he had gone down when a spectator's bag snagged his handlebars, and almost fell when someone wave an American flag in his face. He said he always stays in the center of the road now.

From your pix it seems pretty simple to get very close to the riders. Did you find most people kept a respectful distance?

·
I Just Ride....
913 Posts
Thanks for sharring!

SwissBuster said:
It was obvious watching that the strongest support (in numbers) were Americans. QUOTE]

I wished I could have been one of them!
Thanks for sharring your great pics of The Tour!
You are very fortunate to live so close!
I am rather envious!
Brian
GO LANCE! GO LANCE! GO LANCE! GO LANCE! GO LANCE! GO LANCE!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Respect?

GuruAtma said:
From your pix it seems pretty simple to get very close to the riders. Did you find most people kept a respectful distance?
The point at which we watched wasn't so busy - we were lower down the mountain and it wasn't one of the crazy stages. Most people were OK, but everyone wants a great view and that is the main issue - everyone is leaning into the road to see better. No one was deliberately disrespectful though.

One of the great things about this sport is that you can get very close to the stars. I guess that's one of its perils as well.

·
Registered
460 Posts
WOW!! The best post I have seen on any board in quite some time!! Fantastic pics!! What a thrill that must have been for you. I'm no roadie (I don't even own a road bike) but love the TDF and respect it as one of (if not THE) greatest test of athleticism (sp?) on Earth. Even my wife has caught the fever and we're planning a trip to France to catch the '05 Tour. Thanks!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Too cool!!

Thanks for sharing such great pictures. Would love to be there. My husband and I are considering a trip to France next summer during the tour. We plan on attempting to ride Alpe d' Huez and possibly Ventoux. We love to climb!!

Thanks again for the pix!

·
Holy Chromoly!!
542 Posts
SwissBuster said:
Here's another one for you yanks. Anyone recognise the guy in the yellow shirt?
Uhm.. dunno for sure.. but isn't that the guy that one the Tour De Lance...??

·
Flying High Again
549 Posts
nice pics dude!

i was regretting having bailed from the plan but seeing that storm approaching made it a little easier to bear. i'll have to wait for next year. So how many "dégueulasses" did you see there?

The coverage in the NYT of Lance Armstrong's remarkable sixth Tour de France win neglects to mention what even Le Monde hadn't been able to completely ignore: The American's victory came under a shower of curses and spit from the French and German spectators who lined the route, giving some stages of the race what Armstrong called "the atmosphere of a football match." The Germans, said Armstrong, were especially dégueulasses. That's a very harsh word in France, where Armstrong will no doubt be seen as just another rude American for having uttered it.

YAY AMERICA! GO LANCE! :)

·
Crazy Dutch Bastard
87 Posts
Thanks for the pix!

Very nice pix, they bring back some good memories. I grew up in the area - Thoiry to be precise (my parents still live there but I live in Norcal now) and rode up the Col de la Faucille a bunch of times. There's also a ski area on the top where I used to go a lot.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.