Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
They just answer the call of nature when it comes along if ya know what I mean. Think of it as a free weight reduction.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
TrekFan said:
someone told me they do it on the bike, but with those bibs i think it would be difficult. how do they do it? there's no way they hold it for 5+ hours...
Occasionally you can see the riders pulling off at the side of the road for a "nature break" as Liggett & Co call it. The cameras never dwell on it of course. Some do the performance while riding and that can be seen too. Bibs? Lycra is stretchy.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Mike is right.

If possible, there are pee breaks. NO ONE attacks the leaders while they are peeing.

If needed, they lift the leg of the shorts, and let fly to the side.

On big climb days, they may be sweating so heavily that it is not needed.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i've heard Liggett mention the nature breaks, but i would think that would be discouraged as they would lose time and energy in recatching the peloton.

so if they don't pull over do you mean they do it in their shorts or do they kind of whip it out and do it off to the side? i couldn't imagine the latter as there are spectators along every inch of roadway it seems...

lol don't know why this fascinates me so much...

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
damion said:
If possible, there are pee breaks. NO ONE attacks the leaders while they are peeing.

If needed, they lift the leg of the shorts, and let fly to the side.

On big climb days, they may be sweating so heavily that it is not needed.
ah, ok.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
The Tour is full of "gentlemen's agreements" One of them is the nature break. As mentioned above, they stop on the side of the road. When the leaders do, it is pretty much tradition that no one will attack the leaders, as indicated above. It is also a gentlemen's agreement that media will not photograph, or video these breaks. That is why you rarely see them on the TV coverage. Out of a 5 or 6 hour race, at least in the US, OLNTV usually only shows footage of a few hours.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
I wish somebody would post that pic that's appeared on MTBR before of a racer during an event "firehosing" by the side of the road while still moving. Fortunately no spectators were "hosed".:D

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well, if you've got to ask the question, maybe you already guessed. Yet, there are several options.

The hardest thing is avoiding filling up your socks, because then it will get into your shoe (usually right shoe) and squish, squish, squish. . .breaking your concentration very, very well.

Sometimes they do get to pull over and pee. You know those TV spots where the majority of the riders appear to be loafing, like your grandma could outrun them? This was filmed about the same time as a mass "nature call". They just don't film the guys peeing.

This option does not exist in the time trials.

Those who have the knack of drinking about as much water as they sweat and breathe out don't have to stop. The guys with squishy shoes are the ones who drink a lot of water as a good way to stay cool.

In an emergency, you can also get a bit sideways on the saddle, jam an empty, lidless water bottle up the leg of your shorts and just cut loose. That works really well if you've got extraordinary balance.

Technically, if you're racing back to back for many days in a row, you have to drink a lot of water in order to avoid losing muscle. 1 water bottle for every 25-30 miles isn't good enough in back-to-back racing. And in this case, you can guess what happens. ;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
The guy above that mentioned pulling up one leg of their shorts is correct.
They just roll it up, hang out to one side, and letter go.

I've been a wheel man in a couple pro races that for some reason didn't let team cars on the route. I remember the first time doing this, my wife (girlfriend at the time) was with me, and was in absolute shock at what she was seeing. I have to admit I was a little stunned, too, even though I had heard about it before.

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
Its a dirty job, but...

Not only do they pee while riding along, they somtimes pull to the back of the pack and slide their shorts down and slide sideways off the saddle and "leave a load, upon the road".
If they ride away contented, I have no idea.
This was accidently covered one year during a live stage broadcast.

How would you like to be the mechanic that has to handle the bikes after the race!

Mountain Man Eric.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ericmopar said:
Not only do they pee while riding along, they somtimes pull to the back of the pack and slide their shorts down and slide sideways off the saddle and "leave a load, upon the road".
If they ride away contented, I have no idea.
This was accidently covered one year during a live stage broadcast.

How would you like to be the mechanic that has to handle the bikes after the race!

Mountain Man Eric.
i'm sorry, but this i just don't believe...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.