Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done any trail riding on the new VPP2 Tazer at all?

I love very active trail riding and am thinking that a new medium 2010 Tazer (with 23’ TT) would be great for the pure fun trail riding approach. (I suppose I mean, I like the sides and features of the trail more than the middle of the trail :D ). I also like the slacker head angle of course. (Slacker than a Rampant for example)

Can anyone tell me what the BB height is with a 120mm fork please, does it stay at the stated 12.75’ height?

Mostly though, can anyone tell me about their trail riding experiences please?

The downward part is obviously great, but, how is the Tazer with a slightly longer seat post, is it manageable for climbing etc?

Currently for hooligan riding, I have a Chameleon, I love the jump toughness of the bike,
the short chainstay, lowish BB and the all-round active ride.
Secondly, I have a Blur ST – yes, I have a short travel Blur Lt2 with 4 inch rear travel and 12.6’ BB – very 4X in performance, but with a short stem wide bars and the TT at 22.5’ (medium) is not quite as comfortable for my breathing on the climbs anymore.

So I’m a nut case who trail rides 4X style bikes, do you think the purpose built Tazer will be my go for trail riding? Every time I think of the 23’ TT I think of breathing in again.... ready for a wickedly fun descent.

My other option is to buy a Large carbon Blur frame to get a longer TT but I haven't done this as I'm thinking the shorter chainstay will be more fun, and hey, the Tazer looks so good.

You just don’t see many reviews on the Tazer...help?
(Appologies to the the genuine 4x riders for abusing the products aim)
Thank you

·
Registered
222 Posts
slalom bikes dont make for great trail bikes in my experience... i dont own the new tazer vp (yet) but my old tazer and TBC double really arent comfy at all on long distances. even with the seat post up, the posture is not well suited for climbing or long rides.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Depends on how you look at the trail... I think 4x bikes are a ton of fun if you are doing little 'sprints'. Epics no, but if you are doing hour long rides with some fun sections that require putting the hammer down, a small, tight bike that can handle some abuse is a riot.

·
WWW.PEDALTHEPEAKS.BIZ
112 Posts
I ride my tazer vpp2 for xc all the time. For longer rides i ride my pure xc bike but on stuff under 10-15 miles i ride the Tazer all the time. And trust me living in Durango Colorado we have pleanty of climbing, so i would say i have put it to test. I do run a long seat post that i put up for more constant climbing rides. The bike is awsome and from what you said aboubt your riding style i think it would be a great bike. To be ohnest I have acces to a bunch of demo bikes like ibis mojo santa cruze ltc and intense 5.5 and i still find my self on my tazer more than not for xc. I woul say though if you are looking for a trail bike to ride long high country rides go with the Tracer and maybe get some k9 cups to slacken it out. I can not answer your question about the 120mm fork since i run a 100 but this is my favorite bike in the Intense line up.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate everyone’s response and genuine guidance re appropriate bike usage, and I agree totally – get a trail bike for trail riding. I enjoy a good long trail ride and I have intentions for a trail bike (either convert back the Blur or dare I mention to the wife, a new trial bike. Man the ladies love mtbs :nono: ).

I was looking for some feedback from the guys who do brave trail riding tazers to see if I could get some more improvements out of my current setup for that more specific ‘hooning around’ bike. I know there are some major compromises on the trial and I accept that – it’s a specific luxury (or hardship should I say) I suppose, although, good for fitness and skills IMO.

Hey PTP, it was great to hear about your Tazer adventures. Awesome mate. Interesting to hear that you can climb okay, I have some climbs of course but the area I would use the Tazer in is not that ‘long high country ride’ area.
I spend a lot of time out of the seat, enjoying finding some sort of line on the downs and doing sprints on the straights etc and generally keeping the trail carers busy.

The more I do it the more I love a bike that accelerates hard and can jump around nicely and I’m happy not to be bothered too much about plushness on these ride occasions, ragged and edgy is the call on these occasions. Noted re the Tracer, but I have to say I am very swayed by the limited chance of getting a medium 2010 Tazer. Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
i had a 1st gen tazer vp and used it regularly for backcountry. it works great, stiff as hell and very snappy. I really regret selling it now as it's a rare frame--there's no frame that's as distinctive as that. Yes for trail riding it is unforgiving when you compare it to a bonafide xc or trail frame with maybe 1 or 2 more inches, but it's such a fun frame to throw around.

·
Registered
222 Posts
its not the stiffness, nor plushness that was the issue.... its the rider compartment/posture that bothered me with the post up. my back would kill me on hour long+ rides in the saddle... im also thirty something and not the same rider i was in my 20's... that being said, i still race slalom about 10 events a year, so I will always own a slalom bike before i buy a squishy trail bike. they are a rip to ride just about anywhere. just keep your chiropractor's biz card close by...

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Test rode one

Hey PTP and misctwo,
Thanks for your earlier inputs, it encouraged me to look further and I managed to get a test ride on a Tazer VP on my local trail. Fantastic! Now I know different things rock peoples boats differently, but man I think the Tazer is excellent as a trail bike. I guess plush has never been my friend, I've ridden a Chameleon a lot...

The guy that ownes it uses it as a jump bike and a trail bike, just uses different seat posts and stems - easy. He also commutes on it.

Anyway, it was mega fun on the trail, it XCs really well, better than some dedicated aluminium XC bikes I have ridden, shame on them. (Sure there are plenty of much better XC bikes out there). I guess I'm just focussed on the fun category really for this bike - it fits the bill.

I loved the acceleration, most of all, the flight is awesome. You come off a drop or a jump and it's a pure delight - then you hunt for anything and everything to launch off. It's a killer when the trail tightens up. Great fun and a great bike with much broader capabilities than I thought.

Thanks for the tips guys and thanks EF76, concerns noted, but it seemed okay on my back so I was lucky.

Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.